Dynadot

opinion Does domain extension really matter?

NameSilo
Watch

shady

Established Member
Impact
Guys, new to this scene.

Forgive my ignorance.

With so many tld's and not so tld's being launched every now and then.

Except the com, net, org

Do other domain extensions are important or not?

In my experience, when ever I search something on the internet I have never seen other extensions being listed.

If that is the case, why do people spend so much in purchasing them?

Sorry if it's ignorant.

Peace

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do other domain extensions are important or not?
YES, many other extensions are important, specially for ECommerce online business, for example: .Store, .Shop, .Shopping, and there are many other ngtlds that are hot in the market too. In could be confusing, but with time you would understand trends, etc.

If that is the case, why do people spend so much in purchasing them?

Sorry if it's ignorant.
We spend a lot of money purchasing them, because there are unique opportunities to acquire a special domain name, or someone else will grab that domain instead of you.
Its Not ignorant your questions, we all keep learning every single day in this domain business... Every week, the trends change and opportunities come and go... You just have to step up and stay updated of latest news...

•••
@OmarVG

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

But why most of these extensions are not ranked in Google?

Last edited:
•••
But why most of these extensions nsive are not ranked in Google?
You are welcome...
Because it will take time to rank on Google, just to give you an idea, the ngtlds like .Store, .Shop, and .Shopping were released in 2016. Even last year 2017 some new gtlds were released too, like .Fun, .Art and others...

•••
You are welcome...
Because it will take time to rank on Google, just to give you an idea, the ngtlds like .Store, .Shop, and .Shopping were released in 2016. Even last year 2017 some new gtlds were released too, like .Fun, .Art and others...
Right.

•••
In my opinion.. it depends.. but it will be very hard to target your audience.. for e-commerce?? not true... the VIP guy, even trips on his own comment .STORE, .SHOP,. SHOPPING.. what does this tell you?? "tacky neighborhoods"
you register>> shady.store , what about shady.shop, and shady.shopping?? what about shadyshop.com, or shadyshop.net, or shadystore.com... so is EXTREMELY complicated and confusing... to be honest, the reason people register all this extension, is for this>> the rush for the "tacky" gold.. don't worry whether google ranks your domain or not.. if you get visitors search engines will pay attention, regardless of the extension, is that simple,. if you do not get visitors search engines will ignore you.. what the VIP guy says.. "it will take time"<< is a lie... again if your popular google will embrace you, if your not popular you will be ignore.. just like in our society..

Last edited:
•••
if you open your own little store right next to walmart... will it matter? will it change something to walmart? its clientbase, its profits, its popularity.. etc..

check namebio.com and you'll know what matters how much.
don't rely on people opinions. stick to facts.

cheers.

•••
I'm seeing a lot of them in use. More every day. Online, on billboards, in startup names. Right now I made a little experiment and Googled a few things:
- fitness studio manhattan: I got a .nyc domain on page 2
- fitness studio orlando: there is a .fitness domain on page 2
- design agency orlando: .vision domain on page 2
- design agency oregon: first result is an .agency name
- marketing firm illinois: another .agency on page 1
- marketing firm london: there are .agency, .digital and .co on page 1
- cleaning company ohio: there is a .cleaning on page 1, .site on page 2
- cleaning company vegas: we have .site on page 1

•••
I have ranked a new extension on page one on google so It can be done.

•••
www. and .com. .com, .edu, .org - These extensions plays very indispensable role to operate the websites.

Introduction of Extensions:
.com for commerce sites,
.US for United States location code,
.mil for US military sites,
.edu for education sites,
.org for non-profit sites,
.gov for government funded sites
.net derived from network technology

Check out Content writing services in Florida at Spwebsolution.com (Online Outsourcing Services)

Last edited:
•••
.org for non-profit sites

Nope, this is incorrect and very old info, as .ORG had its non-profit requirement removed long ago and it's now the same as .COM, .NET, etc.

•••
Yes, off course they matters

•••
Without extension you may not reach correct destination 🏇

•••
I think it matters, but for many applications there may be more than one extension that will work.

I think the ideal domain name has unity between the name and extension. I do see the recent big sales of things like home.loans and vacation.rentals as doing this pretty ideally.

If the domain name is for an online presence, and there is not a corresponding bricks and mortar store, I think that extensions like .online and .site can with an excellent and descriptive first word be near ideal.

Of course there are so many years of use of .com (and to a lesser .net, .org etc.) there is a tendency by many of public to assume that, so if a different extension is in use, but someone else is using the .com, there is a real danger of losing traffic to the .com. This is very slowly changing (actual use of .com as fraction of all internet traffic is decreasing, but by less than 1% per year and is still around 41%).

•••
Back