IT.COM

question Does a graphic/logo help sell a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

w3names

Established Member
Impact
I've often come across graphics or logos illustrating the possible uses for a domain to entice buyers. Is that a worthwhile exercise? Or do you think buyers generally know what they want in a name and won't pay attention to logos/graphics?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don’t think so. The name says it all.

•••
No it’s all about a name, don’t waste your time in logo just put a landing page and wait/do outbound emails. Their is not tricks in domaining, tbh it’s pretty straight forward. Find companies that have the same keyword or can benefit from your domains keywords in your domain and send out some emails selling it. Honestly that’s the only way to really sell domains.... or post it for auction for godaddy and just sell it to other domain investors.

•••
•••
I think it can help for brandables.

•••
Greatly depends on where you are listing your domains. If using social media, Logos help to attract attention to the post. A logo that is attractive to the eye will be more likely to make the reader skimming posts to stop and actually read the post.

•••
I think, logos can be even dangerous sometimes.

It's like a movie filmed by a book. Like Hobbit, for example. When you read Hobbit in your childhood, you have all your images and a whole movie of your own in your head, of how each character looks, how scenes look, etc. Then you are grown up and you go to cinema to the see the movie and you like WTF dude.

The same way. Your brandable name should fire some imagination, some associations in the buyer's head. But with your interpretation, you block their imagination, send it into your own track, which they might not like, but their own idea didn't ripe - and you lost a deal.

•••
Greatly depends on where you are listing your domains. If using social media, Logos help to attract attention to the post. A logo that is attractive to the eye will be more likely to make the reader skimming posts to stop and actually read the post.

Yes, I agree graphics can catch the eye of a buyer on social media...

I think, logos can be even dangerous sometimes.

It's like a movie filmed by a book. Like Hobbit, for example. When you read Hobbit in your childhood, you have all your images and a whole movie of your own in your head, of how each character looks, how scenes look, etc. Then you are grown up and you go to cinema to the see the movie and you like WTF dude.

The same way. Your brandable name should fire some imagination, some associations in the buyer's head. But with your interpretation, you block their imagination, send it into your own track, which they might not like, but their own idea didn't ripe - and you lost a deal.

Yes, despite the eye-catching effect of a logo, I also agree that there's a significant risk of losing a sale if the logo does not convey the same branding potential that a buyer may have in mind at that moment.

Last edited:
•••
Treat logos as a means of visual persuasion. Done right, a logo reinforces the meaning(s) of a name and makes a good name even more memorable.

•••
If you can't make it good, at least make it look good.
bill gates

•••
NO. That's my answer from my personal experience.

•••
Buyers want names, not logos. Their needs are specific and logos are cheap.

•••
So far, it seems like the consensus is graphics can draw a buyers eye to the domain listing, BUT the graphic should be neutral enough not to strongly pull the branding potential in any particular direction.

Kinda like selling houses - they advise you to paint the walls in light neutral colors to allow the buyer to imagine their own styling.

•••
The truth is good logos sell bad names all the time. All depends on the quality of the name.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I got a few visit from image search for a "keyword" Domain For Sale
Nice. But does that visit convert to sales or enquiry?
Not sure visitors searching free images are potential domain buyers. I mean aftermarket.

•••
Nice. But does that visit convert to sales or enquiry?
Not sure visitors searching free images are potential domain buyers. I mean aftermarket.
Great question about sales/enquiry...hard to answer but do know that I did a A/B test (one sales page with image(logo) at top and one without) the one with received 30% more visits.

Not sure about aftermarket, but personally having a logo (value added) included would be a buying decision for me between two sites, similar keyword/extension/age/etc

Bear in mind, I am referring to my logos on my landing/sales pages.

Ebay is the only third party site that I used logos (images) on, and I generally post for 30 days, if no sales, make my own page..

•••
You also need to make sure the logo does not look to close to another company's trademark. That has been used in UDRP's before. I believe Francois had the ADO.com UDRP contain language to that effect.

•••
You also need to make sure the logo does not look to close to another company's trademark. That has been used in UDRP's before. I believe Francois had the ADO.com UDRP contain language to that effect.

This. Reading about this case put me off using logos.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back