IT.COM

Does a $125 redemption fee sound right to you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I called Moniker and got a support ticket on the domain fantasyfootball.be which I dropped the ball on and failed to renew it 2 months prior to expiration as I am told is the policy with that country code.

The $125 redemption price seemed exorbitant to me, but I've never had a domain expire on me and this one is different because it's a country code.

Any opinions?

One more note. While I was on the phone, I also questioned Moniker on my inability to apply the money in my account ($5) towards a purchase of more than $5. At first I was told I could use that amount towards a .info or whois privacy. When I countered to that with what if I wanted something over the dollar amount, I was told that it was a policy situation and I could make a suggestion to upper management.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The $125 fee is normal. It is right in the middle I think. Godaddy is one of the cheaper ones, but they still charge $80. The last time I checked Network Solutions was one of the more expensive ones at $250. It is is a strong deterrent to not let it get to the redemption period.

For your account credit. Figure out the price after fees for a domain or domains you want, then add the correct amount. If you have $5 credit and you want a $10.49 domain, just add $5.49 to the credit account.

•••
Well the cheapest is The Planet (formerly EV1Servers). There is no redemption fee, it is just the renewal fee, they don't tack an extra hundred bucks onto it for themselves. I've renewed several domains over the years that had expired weeks beforehand.

edit: although I believe their domain registration is only open to their dedicated server customers

•••
scabies said:
Well the cheapest is The Planet (formerly EV1Servers). There is no redemption fee, it is just the renewal fee, they don't tack an extra hundred bucks onto it for themselves. I've renewed several domains over the years that had expired weeks beforehand.

edit: although I believe their domain registration is only open to their dedicated server customers

During the 45 day expired window you can renew at renewal fee.There is a $60 fee charged via Verisign themselves starting at the beginning of RGP. The registrar can then mark up the price from that point like registrations themselves. If a registry is renewing during RGP and not charging you then they are losing $60 a pop.

•••
JMJ said:
During the 45 day expired window you can renew at renewal fee.There is a $60 fee charged via Verisign themselves starting at the beginning of RGP. The registrar can then mark up the price from that point like registrations themselves. If a registry is renewing during RGP and not charging you then they are losing $60 a pop.

Ah ok, I guess I never realize there is also a pre-redemption period.

•••
Sleepys said:
The $125 fee is normal. It is right in the middle I think. Godaddy is one of the cheaper ones, but they still charge $80. The last time I checked Network Solutions was one of the more expensive ones at $250. It is is a strong deterrent to not let it get to the redemption period.

For your account credit. Figure out the price after fees for a domain or domains you want, then add the correct amount. If you have $5 credit and you want a $10.49 domain, just add $5.49 to the credit account.

Thanks for the redemption info.

On the bolded quote, that's exactly the problem - you can't just add a specified amount to have an even $8 or whatever the .com cost. You can add $50, but in the end your stuck with the same problem of left over monies.

•••
I would' have let it quietly drop - and prob would be able to register it again for reg fee.
Name is probably not even worth $125 being a .BE...

Unlikely that domainers would be waiting to snap/register it the moment it got deleted.

Many ccTLD do not have a long redemption period, if at all (check to see)

•••
That is very expensive for taking a .be domain out of redemption :|

http://dns.be/en/home.php?n=43.002
For the reactivation of a domain name in quarantine, however, agents are charged 12,10 EUR (incl. VAT).
It is possible to transfer the name elsewhere even if it's in redemption but it's more expensive:
The transfer of a domain name in quarantine is charged 48,40 EUR (incl. VAT).

•••
Kath said:
That is very expensive for taking a .be domain out of redemption :|

http://dns.be/en/home.php?n=43.002
For the reactivation of a domain name in quarantine, however, agents are charged 12,10 EUR (incl. VAT).
Last I checked, VeriSign charges every registrar $40 to redeem a .com. Each
registrar can set their respective RGP prices towards end users to cover any
and all costs...and make a little money while at it.

One can feel all they want it's exorbitant, it's a scam, whatever. However, it
is within the Registry's, and the registrar's, discretion how much to charge to
offer that privilege to another to begin with.

Stay on top of your renewals and this shouldn't have to occur. Last I checked
on this, redemption is not a requirement among registrars to offer to their end
users, although many do so anyway.

And that's if the Registry of that extension offers that option to registrars in
the first place.

•••
seven said:
Thanks for the redemption info.

On the bolded quote, that's exactly the problem - you can't just add a specified amount to have an even $8 or whatever the .com cost. You can add $50, but in the end your stuck with the same problem of left over monies.

That sucks. I don't have experience with adding funds to a Moniker account. I just pay when I get them. That techinque works at Dynadot, then again, I think you can just apply the remaining balance combined with a regular payment there.

Good luck.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back