Domain Empire

Do you think that keyword domain names days ARE NUMBERED?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

I would like to hear from you about Keyword Domain Names vs Brandables.

Personally I think brandables are the future and the direction to take as more and more businesses and companies will spend money on making their name memorable and known. The only possible use I see for keyword rich ones is to redirect some traffic...

What do you think about this topic? Are brandables the present and the future of domain name industry? Or do you think keyword names will always be the main character of the movie?

I would love to post a poll with the thread but I have no idea about how to do it...:(

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Actually, we are just rehashing the same arguments already raised repeatedly in the past. This thread is the same thread as before. Usually, every few months someone will create a same identical thread and then people come in and exchange the same identical views.

Makes you wonder whether there is still something new to be discovered in Domaining, or have we seen everything already?

•••
I am sure it's true but I am also sure that those people spend millions to rank..

Or, they have the type of site/content that matches the domain and they have a lot of natural inbound links and a decent site. The money they spend is probably more pure advertising or affiliate program etc. Balcony Flooring is more an affiliate type site, probably spent nothing besides domain and hosting.

Point being, what you said - "more and more penalized by Google"

is false. There is no penalty for having a keyword domain.

•••
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Companies_established_in_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Companies_established_in_2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Companies_established_in_2012

take a look, see the names, see the domain names. :)

by taking a quick look, I found many of them have "something-keyword" (Eterniti Motors, 11 bit studios, 4 Lions Films, Axon Sports, Blossom Films, Boston Luxe Real Estate LLC, CEE Stock Exchange Group, Magic Pixel Games....)

you can say half brand half keyword (keybrandable :))

•••
Actually, we are just rehashing the same arguments already raised repeatedly in the past. This thread is the same thread as before. Usually, every few months someone will create a same identical thread and then people come in and exchange the same identical views.

Makes you wonder whether there is still something new to be discovered in Domaining, or have we seen everything already?

Hey I threw out some new material this time around. :)

•••

by taking a quick look, I found many of them have "something-keyword" (Eterniti Motors, 11 bit studios, 4 Lions Films, Axon Sports, Blossom Films, Boston Luxe Real Estate LLC, CEE Stock Exchange Group, Magic Pixel Games....)

Don't tell all the new gtld fans out there, it's a point I kept bringing up in those threads. You can make up a name in .com = reg fee or keyword plus something else = reg fee.

•••
Normally, the combo is meant to describe the goods or services being offered by your brand.

•••
you cant get TM's on generic keywords this is why companies pick random.com. keyword domains sell products better.

if i want to start a online shoe store that i can get immediate sales i choose TheShoeStore.com i wont pick aldo.com or nike.com nonrelated.com . the majority of sales will be to smaller players for xxx - xxxx rather than the dream of selling Quiglo to a shoe giant for 1,000,000$.

keyword domains are what will flip faster imo.

I don't think it's actually true because you can have whatever website you want and rank for the keywords you want.
You don't need to have the same keyword in your website name.

All companies from the small shop around the corner to the big corporation have a NAME, a BRAND. They are not called with a keyword! And what people remember is the name not the keyword.

( TheShoeStore BTW is more of a catchy brandable than a EMD...)

And I fully agree with the pro who said that keyword rich domains are for domainers; 90 % of them are owned by domainers who sell them to other domainers ; they are also for those cheap websites that worked for so long and simply don't work anymore. So I think we will see things taking another direction. Domainers buy EMD because they want to make money out of Adsense & Co...but, I wonder ; have those domainers ever wondered why Adsense exist and why they earn money out of keywords? Right! because there are BRANDS who pay to rank for those keywords...that should explain a lot.

Also keep in mind that a keyword rich domain is, for a company, a way of advertise their brand, a way to make it stick in people's mind. Once you visit a website that sells shoes and you see the name of the producer/company is nike ( for example ) you will search for nike next time not for running shoes. That's probably why they have nike written on their shoes not " running shoes "...

•••
I think the .com die hards are missing the point with the new gtld's

The neigh sayers are the Schwatrz's of the domaing industry "borrring old news, never think the net will change,bassing their decision on how .info and .org performed"

and the for Gtld's are the new age Shilling's with vision unafraid of change types, who think 10 years ahead"

I bet shilling would crush schwartz at chess! :)

Not all but a few new Gtld's are going to be very lucrative.

Personnally i love it that the majority of domainers are skeptical of the new Gtld's. :)

The whole point of the new Gtdl's is about KEYWORD supply :)

•••
you cant get TM's on generic keywords this is why companies pick random.com. keyword domains sell products better.
However, you are prone to getting diluted in the free market by copycats. It's a nuisance that will bite you later. It's only good in the beginning, but not when you become popular.

if i want to start a online shoe store that i can get immediate sales i choose TheShoeStore.com
So can you stop a copycat like
MyShoeStore
BestShoeStore
UniqueShoeStore
eShoeStore
TotalShoeStore ......

Businessmen think about these issues. Domainers do not.... and they don't care, as long they sell a domain, they are happy.

•••
This was never true. Not sure why this nonsense keeps getting spread over and over again.

From big keywords, like shoes, hotels, cars. Type those in, what comes up #1 in Google? shoes.com, hotels.com, cars.com.

To smaller ones, try balcony flooring, what comes up #1 in Google? balconyflooring.net

You can find those all day long. Go to Google, the source for the truth.

The other part of the equation was crap sites. Crap site + keyword domain is supposed to get penalized, just like Crap site + any other domain.

If you sell Diapers, it would just make sense to get Diapers.com, if you can get it, which happens to be another site ranking #1 in Google.

BTW, all the examples mentioned in this post, also rank #1 in Yahoo, cars, hotels, shoes, diapers, balcony flooring.

You are right. but tell me which are there any hotel name itself "hotel" or shoes company names itself "shoes"?

If we want to know which better (keyword or brandables), we need to make a comparison between the established companies, how many come with new product, how many selling products already there. ( Which is need long time doing researches)

Last edited:
•••
However, you are prone to getting diluted in the free market by copycats. It's a nuisance that will bite you later. It's only good in the beginning, but not when you become popular.

So can you stop a copycat like
MyShoeStore
BestShoeStore
UniqueShoeStore
eShoeStore
TotalShoeStore ......

Businessmen think about these issues. Domainers do not.... and they don't care, as long they sell a domain, they are happy.

I think the post that listed company names showed that keywords in a name are essential and adding a whatever to a keyword allows the name to be Tm'd.

•••
You are right. but tell me which are there any hotel name itsef "hotel" or shoes company names itself "shoes"?

If we want to know which better (keyword or brandables), we need to make a comparison between the established companie, how many come with new product, how many selling products already there. ( Which is need long time doing researches)

They all can work and anything can be brandable. I can give you a list of what you consider brandable names and companies successful on them. I can give you a list of keyword.com companies that are successful on them. Keyword.com are more for pure play internet type companies. Hotels.com is not some brick and mortar type company and hotels.com works just fine for them.

I bet shilling would crush schwartz at chess! :)

Just newbies and those with gold rush dreams. We went over all of this in many other threads. If it was just great keywords, you can already get them now in other extensions on the cheap.

•••
maybe the new buzz word in domaining will be Keyrands :)

•••

Well it's quite know that HIGH QUALITY BRANDABLES are those who " suggest " what the company is about or give an idea of what they are selling.

It's a big misunderstanding and mistake to think that putting some letters together makes a brandable!

This is what urlurl wrote on another thread about brandables and I totally agree

Excellent: usually dictionary words with a brandable feel to it (craving, candy, smooth, etc)

Very Good: Marginal dictionary words and 2 short complimenting names (ipod, ebay, brandable, etc.)

Good: Quality spin on words or word combos with meanings (digg, groupon, snapchat, youtube, etc)

Ok: made up words or combos with the possible meanings. (twitter, Skype, etc)

Marginal: pronounceable random letter (sedo, google, etc.)

Poor: random letters, barely pronounceable no meaning. ( suxpu, cudox, etc.)

Very Poor: non pronounceable random letters (btowb, stnpr, lardc, etc.)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well it's quite know that HIGH QUALITY BRANDABLES are those who " suggest " what the company is about or give an idea of what they are selling.

It's a big misunderstanding and mistake to think that putting some letters together makes a brandable!

brandable may be a generic words or a word hat was playing with its letters, in both you are right : "It's a big misunderstanding and mistake to think that putting some letters together makes a brandable"

but still there are brand names with no meaning at all :) just some letters together.

•••
Just newbies and those with gold rush dreams. We went over all of this in many other threads. If it was just great keywords, you can already get them now in other extensions on the cheap.

Well yeah no 50 year old guy is going to invest in something that wont come to fruition until he is dead or forgets he even has domains.

Edit: a brand name is only good if you have it in .com, if you have the .com you will want the shorter version.

Bodyshop.com ---> body.shop the latter looks way better for marketing :D

Last edited:
•••
So what's a Fyfth or Yaxxi?

If you don't see it yourself FYFTH is a play / typo of Fifth

and Yaxxi is a catchy names for those who wants to spend a bit more money in branding their names.

There are different levels of brandables as much as there are different levels of EMD.

Not a very elegant move yours though.

So curious to see your amazing portfolio...

•••
•••
If you don't see it yourself FYFTH is a play / typo of Fifth

and Yaxxi is a catchy names for those who wants to spend a bit more money in branding their names.

There are different levels of brandables as much as there are different levels of EMD.

Not a very elegant move yours though.

So curious to see your amazing portfolio...

Elegant? I was asking because your post was like an argument against many of the domains in your sig. Generally not a good idea to get a domain where there would be spelling confusion.

•••
Based on 11 years of only my own sales...

Seen some that like the brandables cause you can trademark them and then they inject marketing cash into them to make them known.

Also seen keyword buys where the natural flow of type in traffic is valuable and less marketing cash after the purchase is needed.

Also have seen a combo of buying both.

Personally I like keyword and keyword/brandables, would rather own a keyword with a few letters added on to make it distinguish what the site is about yet still able to trademark. Have pulled a few out of my portfolio and developed them and my keyword brandables still for sale get quite a few offers. Example would be instead of google, yahoo a name like Searchly where it's brandable but describes the generic aspect as well.

•••
Elegant? I was asking because your post was like an argument against many of the domains in your sig. Generally not a good idea to get a domain where there would be spelling confusion.

To be good brandables someone should be able to guess the spelling of the name at the second or third attempt; it seems to me both the names you picked up satisfy that requirement.

it might have been just a fluke that :
PHIVE went for more than 300 at Godaddy or

trinx.com 5,050 USD
erina.com 4,000 USD
proxie.com 4,000 USD
inicea.com 3,900 EUR
cisk.com 3,500 EUR
boosty.com 3,500 EUR
nextbig.com 3,000 USD
mobiled.com 2,750 USD
datie.com 2,495 USD
vicore.com 2,250 USD
avenium.com 2,000 USD
bizak.com 1,995 EUR
proxer.com 1,900 EUR
cryex.com 1,793 USD
banxe.com 1,599 USD
pekki.com 1,250 EUR
jius.com 1,150 EUR
mediquette.com 1,110 EUR
weview.com 1,000 USD
pupupu.com 1,000 EUR
akaneo.com 950 USD
twiing.com 900 EUR
helied.com 850 USD
mirello.com 750 EUR
jobsgu.com 700 USD

Some recent LLLLL sales...
http://www.dnsaleprice.com/SalePrice.aspx

•••
If you have to guess 3 times after a hearing a name to get it right, the name probably sucks. It's not a good brandable to me. So I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

•••
trinx.com 5,050 USD
erina.com 4,000 USD
proxie.com 4,000 USD
inicea.com 3,900 EUR
cisk.com 3,500 EUR
boosty.com 3,500 EUR
nextbig.com 3,000 USD
mobiled.com 2,750 USD
datie.com 2,495 USD
vicore.com 2,250 USD
avenium.com 2,000 USD
bizak.com 1,995 EUR
proxer.com 1,900 EUR
cryex.com 1,793 USD
banxe.com 1,599 USD
pekki.com 1,250 EUR
jius.com 1,150 EUR
mediquette.com 1,110 EUR
weview.com 1,000 USD
pupupu.com 1,000 EUR
akaneo.com 950 USD
twiing.com 900 EUR
helied.com 850 USD
mirello.com 750 EUR
jobsgu.com 700 USD
The problem with brandables, is that there are so many possible options, a Domainer would run out of money trying to guess which one will sell.

Add to this the fact that many Domainers have no understanding of "cash flow" equations. They end up spending more money regging and renewing, than earning back from sales. By the time they realize their balance sheet sucks, they try to compensate for the loss by jacking up the asking prices of unsold domains in their portfolio, which in turn causes more potential buyers to balk and walk away, making it even harder to sell domains.

•••
I think over the years newer domainers think a brandable is a M.U.P. Made Up Pronounceable like yaxxi. some think that is the only definition of brandable, they think of Amazon as a generic, which is true and not true as far as how the domain Amazon.com is used on the Internet.

@sparedomains you make a good point, those are the type that Margot from Brand Bucket said her clients have the most interest in. Brand Bucket certainly sells names like yaxxi but there is more demand for names like SearchLy.com. I remember I owned Cloudzo.com which I dropped because it just was not of great importance to me, I probably should have renewed as it probably fits the Brand Bucket customer, the suffix zo had sold plenty on there and it still had the main keyword Cloud there.

Look its a big world, what is more important for each domainer is can they pick good names and then can they sell or find the right person to sell for them. Plenty of people have good domains that they never sell because they can't sell or negotiate. Everyday there are people selling all kinds of names, is it for big money ? No, but if you are running things as a business every day is not a homerun, but you need singles too, to be a long term player in the business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back