Dynadot

debate Do you think .info will ever be a main player again?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ollie3000

Top Member
Impact
I've been buying some dot info domains as they are generally considered an 'OK' extension....I mean if they go as follows...

.com
.net
.org
.info

So they are in maybe 4th place when it comes to popularity and demand. Or at least that's how it used to be.

I like them and they're are some really cool ones about and there have been some really good sales. So i'm wondering whether anyone thinks they'll bounce back in popularity or whether I should stop binge buying them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.info nowadays is ~ the same as .biz in terms of inquiries and sales...
I can say this definitely... including my own experience with ~1K .info domains for many years...

In terms of ROI and conversion ratio - I can classify the legacy gTLDs as:
.com
.PRO/.net/.org
.info/.biz

•••
Thanks @Ategy.com for the detailed response - some really good points to consider. Diet // dot // info is a great one to own. I think my best is probably car // credit or home // building.

I always considered .org and info similar types of domains but .org reserved for charities and non profits etc but the times have changed and .org seems to be doing really well in the crypto world right now.

•••
.ORG is NOT reserved for charities and so-called "non-profits"...
It is an absolute archaism... and very popular myth...
.ORG can be used for any organization... or to build community...
And every website is PROfitable apriori - because all traffic can be monetized, only idiots don't monetize it...

•••
.info nowadays is ~ the same as .biz in terms of inquiries and sales...
I can say this definitely... including my own experience with ~1K .info domains for many years...

In terms of ROI and conversion ratio - I can classify the legacy gTLDs as:
.com
.PRO/.net/.org
.info/.biz
.pro?? Really? Is .pro good? (in your opinion)

-just asking, not hating

•••
.pro?? Really? Is .pro good? (in your opinion)

-just asking, not hating
Really...
I receive 1-2 inquiries weekly... up to $10K offers...
~1/3 of them - from the USA...

Just last week I sold some Russian keyword (nothing special) for $700 to Non-Moscow company...

•••
Yup .. @Jurgen Wolf is correct. While the "expected use" for .org is for charities and non-profits .. there are no actual rules restricting what can or can't be done on a .org (other than rules/laws that apply to all domains in general).

I have some great .org's that I most certainly am holding for profit and possibly even build-out.

Some could argue that in some cases .org is better than the .com because .org commands more authority. Obviously always go for the .com if you can .. lol .. but just showing how .org can be quite powerful in SOME cases! :)

•••
.ORG is NOT reserved for charities and so-called "non-profits"...
It is an absolute archaism... and very popular myth...
.ORG can be used for any organization... or to build community...
And every website is PROfitable apriori - because all traffic can be monetized, only idiots don't monetize it...

I use the word 'reserved' not in the literal sense - I mean it as in it's mainly used by.

And yep community sites would be under .org to.

FYI 'non profit' doesn't mean something someone doesn't profit from. There's always someone making a killing from a 'non profit organisation'!

•••
Really...
I receive 1-2 inquiries weekly... up to $10K offers...
~1/3 of them - from the USA...

Just last week I sold some Russian keyword (nothing special) for $700 to Non-Moscow company...
Nice. I think I actually have 1... my first name.

•••
I use the word 'reserved' not in the literal sense - I mean it as in it's mainly used by.

And yep community sites would be under .org to.

FYI 'non profit' doesn't mean something someone doesn't profit from. There's always someone making a killing from a 'non profit organisation'!
It is not about usage...
Even such organizations have various sponsors... so they have money and even BIG money...
During last ~10 years were reported TONS of .ORG sales up to $2X,XXX... including 2word .ORGs...

•••
Various cryptosales and some rare sales of the ultrakeywords - are not a benchmark for TLD...
In average, nowadays, even low $X,XXX sale can be considered as very good for .info

•••
Info biz all extensions were death before born as there was .com already

•••
I sold a few .info domains (nothing ultra or special) up to ~$2K per domain...
But probably - this 2018 year will be my last year with .info

•••
I think it's all about the time it takes to sell. I've picked up maybe 15 and I'll have to see how this goes. Put a few up for make offer on here. Parked them at SEDO - getting some ok traffic on a couple of them, early days though.

•••
Various cryptosales and some rare sales of the ultrakeywords - are not a benchmark for TLD...
In average, nowadays, even low $X,XXX sale can be considered as very good for .info

I'd take low £X,XXX all day long on most of these. The ROI on investment is massive in year one at that price. Even at £500 it would be 167x

•••
I have 1 .info. I'll hold onto it for a while, if I have to.

•••
Parked them at SEDO - getting some ok traffic on a couple of them, early days though.
You are getting bots...
Sedo's filtering is very weak.

Use ParkingCrew to check your real traffic...

•••
The ROI on investment is massive in year one at that price.
ROI is not massive, because conversion ratio for .info is ~1:100... 1 inquiry per ~100 domains...
Except ultradomains.

Last edited:
•••
ROI is not massive, because conversion ratio for .info is ~1:100... 1 inquiry per ~100 domains...
Except ultradomains.

Ok, well I hope to get some re-seller offers on some of these mine - maybe that's end user stats?

Also I reckon car credit and home building are premiums.

•••
•••
Microsoft using .info (payments faq)
msbill.info

•••
i grabbed my common <firstname>.info recently and going to do something with it. still thinking what. any ideas?

•••
shhh don't let @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI know that .top is reserved for spammers :ROFL::ROFL:
(...)

Don't worry, I already know these ridicules rumors.

What I knowww too, is the fact that we can't even find .top on SPAMHAUS's "Most abused TLD's" - list:
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

upload_2018-2-11_19-21-41.png
Feb. 2018

While, according to NAMESTAT's "Most registered nTLD's" - list, it looks pretty much like that soon it will be the most registered nTLD:
https://namestat.org/

upload_2018-2-11_19-22-6.png
Feb. 2018

Last edited:
•••
namebio daily list reports: manhattan.info sold $7000 at Sedo

•••
i Agree. Launch of So many TLDS made .info Numb.
Few years age, There were exclusive sales.

Last edited:
•••
Only a personal opinion here but I feel the TLD should not exceed 2-3 letters, there should be some standardization here similar to phone numbers or zip codes/postal codes.

I never liked 4 letters and some of the newer ones can be crazy up 13 letters. I think 13 letters was the longest new gTLD that I have seen.

In a lot of cases that is like having a phone number where the area code is longer than the phone number.

I guess the more progressive/newer domainers like them but for old school guys like me I cannot get past the 2/3 letters as being the way to go.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back