Dynadot

debate Do you think .info will ever be a main player again?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ollie3000

Top Member
Impact
I've been buying some dot info domains as they are generally considered an 'OK' extension....I mean if they go as follows...

.com
.net
.org
.info

So they are in maybe 4th place when it comes to popularity and demand. Or at least that's how it used to be.

I like them and they're are some really cool ones about and there have been some really good sales. So i'm wondering whether anyone thinks they'll bounce back in popularity or whether I should stop binge buying them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think only premium .info make sense.

•••

•••

yea i have some good ones, single word and keywords etc. Some where the estibot value .com is 100k + etc. So you think I should carry on?

•••
Was info ever a main player. I think they killed it when they ( and so did biz) promoted cheap names for the spammers to use. It was never about "info" either, and that may have been the waste of a good marketing concept.

•••
Was info ever a main player. I think they killed it when they ( and so did biz) promoted cheap names for the spammers to use. It was never about "info" either, and that may have been the waste of a good marketing concept.

Never been a fan of dot biz - think it sounds cheap but dot info can work with the right words. Of the international domain rankings it's in 4th place for most regs.

•••
Never been a fan of dot biz - think it sounds cheap but dot info can work with the right words. Of the international domain rankings it's in 4th place for most regs.

I feel the complete opposite, I love .biz I think it is great with a one word.

Though I agree with @Kuffy sometimes with bad promos can kill a business

•••
•••
I don't think that .info market has been down. Valuable keywords with the .info are always is in demand.

•••
I myself have been following the progress of dot info and biz since their launch. They like some others had a good press launch and did initially quite well. I also thought they would both do very well as alternatives and registered a few of both. but, The fact is only those that actually built on these two extensions at that time are still around. You really don't see any new development and I'm sorry to say since all the hundreds of other extension launches they are pretty much buried among them

•••
Early on we acquired a batch of .info names that paralleled some of our successful .com names in use for websites.

The apparent " info " factor should have been a natural tie-in, however, we were unable to maximize the use of the extension either as a main-use extension or as a re-direct / point. And as I recall we offered some names to website clients as a primary url though that too was unsuccessful.

Eventually we allowed 'em to fade away ( drop ) although I always liked the ext.

Is it possible the ext. will see a usage rise in the vast crypto related marketplace?

•••
I think .info names do have value but they have to be short and meaningful. Best practice is to keep an eye on NameBio and see what recent .info sales are and how are the prices. This will be helpful in giving you an idea of what type of domains are selling in that extension.

- Will

•••
I had some super-premium single word .info's before the nTLD explosion. No inquiries...

Just think about how we use the word as a brush-off in everyday life:

"Sir, we have the lowest rates on card processing and we can have you up and running in just 24 hours!"

"I don't know right now. Can you send me some INFO and I'll think about it?"

Does anyone here say "info" in a more significant / positive context?

•••
i actually like info, but i don't think they were quite a major player to begin with and now with so many new gtlds they are getting lost in the crowd.

they are pretty popular in europe (mostly germany), one of the major news site in my country is on a .info domain.

•••
from what i heard .info were hard to rank - given they were one of the cheapest extensions, attracted spam and scammers.

this may have changed since .top and like extensions have taken top spam and scam positions.

•••
shhh don't let @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI know that .top is reserved for spammers :ROFL::ROFL:

I get what you're saying though, dot info can be hit and miss. But as I said there are some really good keywords left out there.

•••
The only .info names I have sold for good money were country names.info. Actually there are usually reserved. But few names hold value in this TLD. I don't see a lot of noteworthy sales.
It's true that there are few prominent tourist sites on .info like spain.info, but there are a few .travel too. Overall, the TLD doesn't have any meaningful mindshare.

In fact, .co seems to be selling much more often. So I would say .info is not a must-have in your portfolio.

•••
Thanks @Kate I'll take a look at .co too

•••
To give one example of the type of two word dot infos I like.....

home//building

.com sold for 22k back in 2007 and would be worth a lot more now. Lots of other similars have sold over the years for good prices and the words and extension make perfect sense.

•••
I never really thought that .INFO was a strong extension. But I've wasted my money on a few in my time. Good for information websites, but doesn't have the commercial value (perceived or otherwise) of a .com. Whenever I see any .INFO sale, the first thing I think is usually what was the buyer thinking paying whatever sum for an .INFO? For sure they can be money-makers if properly developed. But I probably would not go to an .INFO website to actually buy anything.

The much maligned .BIZ, I always thought had more potential than .INFO for a commercial website. But I cannot seem to sell any of them either. Everyone want the .COM (or ccTLD). And I don't blame them. I do have a few .BIZ for brand protection purposes. But they are probably just a waste of renewal money.

•••
i kind of like info.
sadly, that's not enough to make it a good extension to own.

expect good money on great keywords
small money on good keywords
and no money on average keywords

jmo

•••
from what i heard .info were hard to rank - given they were one of the cheapest extensions, attracted spam and scammers.

this may have changed since .top and like extensions have taken top spam and scam positions.
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/
Badness Index as of today (less is better):
.PRO 0.18
.org 0.53
.net 0.66
.com 0.93
.top 1.77
.info 3.37
.biz 4.22

•••
•••
p.s. You are playing only with English... it is really hard to sell in .info
Try German, French and something neutral/brandable...

•••
So they are in maybe 4th place when it comes to popularity and demand.
No. The .INFO gTLD is an early example of the boom and bust discounting that has been adopted by the new gTLDs. There is no high-volume demand without discounting and the .INFO gTLD is effectively dead in terms of web development in the US/CA/EU/AU/NZ markets.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back