Dynadot

question Do you have any advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gcmera

Established Member
Impact
Nice to see domain sales here.
I am a newbie into all this but very interested as it’s real money.

I registered some domains recently. Put them on go daddy Flippa Sedo. Sadly no offers. No views in most cases.

What am I doing wrong ?
Please help guys.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice to see domain sales here.
I am a newbie into all this but very interested as it’s real money.

I registered some domains recently. Put them on go daddy Flippa Sedo. Sadly no offers. No views in most cases.

What am I doing wrong ?
Please help guys.

@gcmera More likely than not as a newbie you registered very low quality names that nobody else wants to own but you. The key is to buy domain names that somebody else wants to own more than you do!

Try this exercise to help teach yourself about domain names that sell to large corporations for top dollar:

1. Go to Jamie Zoch's website at DotWeekly dot com

2. Read through every post he has ever written under the "Domain Movers" banner

3. As you read each post, type into a spreadsheet the names of each .com domain name that a large corporation bought for a new business, product name, or other new brand name (i.e., not any domain name that already includes their existing brand name in the domain name like Amazon does a lot of -- those are simply 'brand protection' registrations to protect their trademarks, which you want to avoid like the plague)

4. Read through your long list of domain names you typed into your spreadsheet and start to cust and paste them into categories, like LL.com, LLL.com, One Word .com, Two Word .com, Three Word .com, Made Up Word .com, etc.

5. Identify the patterns of the kinds of .com domain names that large corporations buy, as reported by DotWeekly

6. Once you see the patterns, start to watch drop auctions at GoDaddy.com, NameJet.com, SnapNames.com, and DropCatch.com BUT RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BUY ANY DOMAIN NAMES FOR 30 DAYS; only watch, do not buy for a full 30 days; make sure the auctions are drop auctions, not some other domainer just listing his or her domain names with reserve prices

7. Start to notice how much the domain names with the patterns you identified sell for at the drop auctions; these are the wholesale prices those kinds of patterns go for

8. Determine if you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, or not

9. If you cannot, it might be best for you to exit domain name investing – the best names are typically on the drop auctions; the best names get bid up to healthy wholesale prices; you need the best names with the right patterns to one day ultimately sell for a retail price to an end user that is a large corporation with deep pockets and a general indifference to paying upwards of $XX,XXX to $XXX,XXX for a .com domain name; if you cannot afford to play the game, it may be best for you financially to not enter the game at all; or, find a different, lower cost strategy within domain investment (e.g., picking up $9 bargain names and flipping them for $250 to $350 a piece, a la Josh Eisenhower at DSAD.com)

10. If you can afford to pay those kinds of wholesale prices, welcome to the game! :)

Lastly, remember that there are a little less than 150,000,000 or so .com domain names in existence. Keep in mind that less than 1% are .com domain names that a large corporation would ever want to buy from anyone else to use in their businesses. That means only 1,500,000 .com domain names are "investment grade" domain names. That's a relatively small amount. All the rest are .com domain names that are simply not marketable to large corporations, no matter how much the domainers who own them believe otherwise. You want to ignore those 99% domain names and resist the temptation to register them or bid on them at auctions (don't worry, we all fail or have failed at the resistance). If you follow all of the above instructions and understand what you uncover from having done the exercise, you'll be in a much better place as a domain investor. Possibly a lot richer to boot.

•••
@MediaCode
Where did you get the stat that there are only 150M .com domain names in existence?

Also by "in existence" do you mean .com names that are currently registered or available to grab?

•••
•••
@MediaCode
Where did you get the stat that there are only 150M .com domain names in existence?

Also by "in existence" do you mean .com names that are currently registered or available to grab?

@alex067

See VeriSign.com: http://www.verisign.com/en_US/chann...ucts/zone-file/index.xhtml?dmn=zone&loc=en_US

Looks like I overstated the .com count -- it's only 136 MM .com domain names right now. This is the count of .com domain names that are currently registered.

The count of .com names available to grab converges on infinity -- I think the max length is 64 characters and there are 26 alpha characters and 10 numeric characters in the Latin character set alone that could fit into each of those 64 characters. That's a massively huge number of which the 136 MM existing names is but a tiny fraction. I'll let you do the math!

•••
Turn your brain into a sponge and your skin into leather, metaphorically.

•••
They might not be good domains. Even if they are good names, still it can take a while to sell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back