Domain Empire

discuss Do you ever register domains that you have dropped yourself?

NameSilo
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
I tend to frequently register domains that I've dropped myself. About one name a month or so. The reasons may be:

1. I can see that the popularity of the keyword / words have increased.

2. A registrar has a temporary promotion for that particular extension.

3. I simply regret that I've dropped the domain.

4. I dropped the name because of a carelessness (however, this is rare today as I've learned from mistakes).

Am I alone?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same here, for the same reasons, except #1, search volume increase, which hasn't happened so far.

A promo is the most common reason for me to re-reg old domains, infact I keep a sheet with my drops which I'd like to have again for a smaller fee.

•••
I have done this when necessity to do so

•••
Well, you know what they say..drop me once, shame on you. Drop me twice, shame on me.

Can't say that I have. Not for trying though, its either been snatched up or gone to registry reserved (new G's). So have had my regrets. Have to train yourself to throw it and not look back.

•••
I've picked up a couple of names that I let go when I was backing away from the industry several years ago. The problem is that the best ones don't get dropped. :)

okup.com is a chinese site now, and I don't know how I lost IdleTalk.com - I'm a bit stressed about it in fact, but Buy domains has it now.

•••
I've picked up a couple of names that I let go when I was backing away from the industry several years ago. The problem is that the best ones don't get dropped. :)

okup.com is a chinese site now, and I don't know how I lost IdleTalk.com - I'm a bit stressed about it in fact, but Buy domains has it now.

Yep, really good .com, .net or .org (and some .tv, .io etc) will be snapped. For me it has been mostly new gTLDs, that are not snapped at the same way. Today, I registered Marine (dot) center as I dropped a few months ago. It is certainly not a great domain, but I had some money to spend and couldn't find a better one for that price today. I also remember that I got a request for that name back in 2016.

•••
I'm toying with the idea of letting some alt TLDs drop, and then try to re-register them to take advantage of the very cheap initial reg fees. I know it is a risk, but the alternative is just to drop the name. Renewal fees of $80 or more compared to first reg fees of a couple of dollars tend to distort the market a bit.

On the other hand, maybe I'll just stick to .com, and stay away for the alt names.

•••
I've had many of the same dilemmas about dropping certain domains, particularly when there's a very heavy renewal batch in the same financial month. I very rarely get the chance to re-register them as pretty much all of them get snapped-up by buydomains then posted with $2800 price tags.Still it gives me confidence that what I do hang on to, Pretty much looks worthwhile

•••
I let a .net drop. Got an offer through SEDO before it deleted, re-registered the name and sold it. :xf.grin:

meridian/mortgage - $120

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I've dropped some names that I re-reg down the road.

Been a while but believe I re-reged some to utilize as re-directs for websites we own or designed for others.

•••
Not yet. I did check in the past out of curiosity and most seem to have been snapped up. Might try again just to see.

I did have a recent hand reg but it was a domain I sold at Sedo for $650, bartending certification. The buyer didnt' renew. From the other thread where I was checking domains I sold that were developed. Checked that one and it as there to hand reg, maybe I can sell it twice.

•••
And also " re-reged " a few names in new extensions that I purchased on spec - then dropped due to their IMO " too high " renewal fees - then reg em again months later at a much much lower basic reg fee.

•••
I have done it also out of jealousy. When i i drop it someone pics it up they drop it and it is back with daddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back