IT.COM

poll Do you care about profit?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you care about making a profit from your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I care about making a profit

votes
    100.0%
  • No, I don't care about making a profit

votes
    0.0%
  • I don't know

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
I register domain names to make a profit from them, except for a few which are not-for-profit. I don't care how I profit from a domain name as long as it's a. legal and b.ethical. Who's here to make a profit and who's here just for the fun? (which is fine, by the way).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on how you define profit.

If revenue covers working hours, acquisition, management and renewals I would be ok operating at zero profit.
That is how I operated for several years, but I would not consider that a lack of profit.
It is more deferred profit.

Sure, on paper you are not making a profit but your portfolio continues to grow in size and value.

Brad

•••
That is how I operated for several years, but I would not consider that a lack of profit.
It is more deferred profit.

Sure, on paper you are not making a profit but your portfolio continues to grow in size and value.

Brad

Exactly, nailed it!

•••
I do not care losing money on Selling near expiry JUNK domain names which I do not like to renew them.

•••
I do not care losing money on Selling near expiry JUNK domain names which I do not like to renew them.

That is not really losing money as much as saving future expenses.

If they are junk, then getting something out of them is turning a liability into an asset.

Brad

•••
I register domain names to make a profit from them, except for a few which are not-for-profit. I don't care how I profit from a domain name as long as it's a. legal and b.ethical. Who's here to make a profit and who's here just for the fun? (which is fine, by the way).
Great, good to see where your head is at, and some other's here too.

If you want to see what "only caring about profit" does, go to your local Walmart for throw-away products. Get something this year, replace it again next.

Same applies to domain names. I care about first providing domains that carry longevity and strength, that's my business acumen. Made to last first, profits second.

Do you care about the present and future of the web and how it presents? Or should we change it up again, start a new start up?

I do care how I profit from a domain name. I'm not going to make the seller pay for my bad domaining decisions because I want to run a profit. My interest is good naming solutions and a buyer with the same vision.

Whether this is your primary or secondary income, always take pride in your domains or business approach.

•••
Losing money is not fun for sure. I'd say yes, I do care!

•••
Anyone do business for profit only. Domaining also is your intellectual property. You will sell your domains when you received an offer at your desired price. Don't sell any domain for loss.

•••
It would be concerning if you were doing any type of business and you did not care about profit... A trust fund baby reisitnering .xyzs is not a domainer... and he obv doesnt care about profit... but if your putting your time into non real life activites there better be some type of defered benefit from the time spent

because theres surely better *hobbys that are similar and give the same type of potential profit

additionally i think the only chance of not caring about profit is if you have some type of brain defect or injury or something where your inner defense mechenisms are not working ... so you would probably die before you wound up domaining as a pass time... Because profit is not different then... is it worth looking both ways before i cross this highway or is it even worth grabbing the oven mit before i grab this scolding pan... people who dont care about profit will give all of their items away way before they can resiter any names...

Last edited:
•••
•••
It would be concerning if you were doing any type of business and you did not care about profit... A trust fund baby reisitnering .xyzs is not a domainer... and he obv doesnt care about profit... but if your putting your time into non real life activites there better be some type of defered benefit from the time spent

because theres surely better *hobbys that are similar and give the same type of potential profit

additionally i think the only chance of not caring about profit is if you have some type of brain defect or injury or something where your inner defense mechenisms are not working ... so you would probably die before you wound up domaining as a pass time... Because profit is not different then... is it worth looking both ways before i cross this highway or is it even worth grabbing the oven mit before i grab this scolding pan... people who dont care about profit will give all of their items away way before they can resiter any names...
I just think most domainers care about making profit. They don't take it seriously at all.

•••
Allowing domain name to expire and make no money is very bad.
Then what can you do more than that ? If you buy 100 domains and all 100 domains will not sell. If you buy 100 domains in anticipation of sales of 1 or 2 and these 1 or 2 sales will have to give you profit after adjusting the cost incurred for other 98/99 domains. This is what profit means in domaining.

•••
Then what can you do more than that ? If you buy 100 domains and all 100 domains will not sell. If you buy 100 domains in anticipation of sales of 1 or 2 and these 1 or 2 sales will have to give you profit after adjusting the cost incurred for other 98/99 domains. This is what profit means in domaining.
Profit is not a subjective theory. Oxford's definition of profit is a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something. There's no law of averages for all domainers which says if you register 100 domain names you are going to sell 2, although as previous members have said it all depends on the domain name's quality and how you market it. You are FAR more likely to profit from 100 domain names if you park or develop them. But again it all depends on what you market and how you market it. 100 crummy domains aren't going to sell whatever you do to push them, unless drunk people or skunk monkeys descend on the forum.

•••
Allowing domain name to expire and make no money is very bad.
I disagree. You don't have to sell all your domains to make a profit, in fact you can sell a tiny amount and make a total profit.

Some domains are liabilities.

Not allowing bad domains to expire is just sunk-cost fallacy -

the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I disagree. You don't have to sell all your domains to make a profit, in fact you can sell a tiny amount and make a total profit.

Some domains are liabilities.

Not allowing bad domains to expire is just sunk-cost fallacy -

the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

Brad
The thing is mate you are making some very good points combined with some highly debatable points. ALL my domain names have keywords. ALL of them. That way they can always be developed and it makes the ranking and spanking side so much easier. Rank the domain name and spank the profit. That's all's I'm saying bud.

•••
The thing is mate you are making some very good points combined with some highly debatable points. ALL my domain names have keywords. ALL of them. That way they can always be developed and it makes the ranking and spanking side so much easier. Rank the domain name and spank the profit. That's all's I'm saying bud.
You are just reinforcing my point. If your domains are not bad, then you should not drop them.

Have you seen the average quality domain registration?

Renewing bad domains is just bad business. Everyone has some, the less you have the better.

The bottom line is some domains are just liabilities, and should be dropped.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You are just reinforcing my point. If your domains are not bad, then you should not drop them.

Have you seen the average quality domain registration?

Renewing bad domains is just bad business. Everyone has some, the less you have the better.

The bottom line is some domains are just liabilities, and should be dropped.

Brad
All agreed mate!

•••
I just think most domainers care about making profit. They don't take it seriously at all.
This doesnt make sense becuase Inorder to be a successful domainer you need to be profitable first and foremost...

If you use strategy a or strategy b... doesnt matter at the end of the day... if it is not profitable ...

When you buy shit domain names... ur not thinking about profit at all becuase you dont ever need to worry about those names selling.

•••
This doesnt make sense becuase Inorder to be a successful domainer you need to be profitable first and foremost...

If you use strategy a or strategy b... doesnt matter at the end of the day... if it is not profitable ...

When you buy shit domain names... ur not thinking about profit at all becuase you dont ever need to worry about those names selling.

Yeah, I don't think people really plan to not make a profit, it just happens naturally from poor decisions, planning, lack of business model, etc.

Brad

•••

Domainers make shit decisions all the time. That's a standard part of the process. I'm saying most domainers either don't learn from their mistakes or just give up way too early. You don't need to jump out of your boat just because there's a hole in it or your sail gets ripped. If John Doe domainer has a gun pointed at his head and three months to make a profit, you can be goddam sure he makes a profit. But without urgency there's laziness.

•••
Domainers make shit decisions all the time. That's a standard part of the process. I'm saying most domainers either don't learn from their mistakes or just give up way too early.

That is just what you get in a field with a low barrier to entry and without a clear path to follow.

Every time I look at the appraisal section I think, man it must be nice to be the registry and registrar.

Brad

•••
What else would you care about?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back