Dynadot

discuss Did you ever spend a bunch just because?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought pledgeofallegiance.com today because I loved the name! I paid almost $5,000 and I don't care. I have no idea what it's worth and I don't really care right now.
Anyone buy a name just because you liked it or was it purely for profit?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have one for a heavy rock / metal band too, hoping they'll want it because it's exact match and I sold one last year to another band.
How much did you sold to a band?
High xxx?

•••
•••
I still have some .com's from the late 90's. I call them my virgins. I don't think I will ever want to sell them :)

I hear in China it's popular to buy "just because" too.

Happy Hunting!

•••
5K on a name just because you liked it :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

You guys must be on drugs :xf.smile::xf.grin::xf.wink:

•••
I remember seeing Drew Rosener, on D Sherpa, say he likes to collect names that came out a long time ago.

Late 80's or early 90's

Very, very old names.

I think he said he doesn't mind over paying for these names because he collects them.

I guess he can afford to do this??

•••
boughtjustbecause.com
Hand reg. few sec. ago thanks to you :)

•••
lol I'm sweatin bullets over $2200. and you're dropping $5K on domains?

damn. puts me to shame for sure.
I don't drop that daily! I sell some too. I have 4 names with brokers now and one at Namesco auction - Chris.net. I keep buying bigger and selling bigger. I started with crap - you know that - we have talked :)

•••
•••
It is always necessary to see money in this business. I always see a profit of a domain before considering it. Never buy it because you like it.
That's how YOU think. I cant make money on my Denali but I bought. Sometimes you buys things as a want not a need.

•••
5K on a name just because you liked it :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

You guys must be on drugs :xf.smile::xf.grin::xf.wink:
Why would I be on drugs? It will sell eventually for more than I paid. If I like it, someone else will like it.

•••
I think the most main is your mood, if buy this domain name for yourself in a good mood, even if is worth 5000.I also have some favorite domain name, will be for a renewal.

•••
I just looked again, it was only $4,500. I already saved $500!

•••
Nothing wrong with indulging "just because"! If you love something, go for it..
Mine was an aged .org, just because it fit nicely to a new G' I registered. I thought the juxtaposition the two names created alongside each other was very interesting. One is an olde-world registration, the other a new generation name, but together they accomplish the same idea.

infosci•org
goes to my
informed•science

•••
I bought pledgeofallegiance.com today because I loved the name! I paid almost $5,000 and I don't care. I have no idea what it's worth and I don't really care right now.
Anyone buy a name just because you liked it or was it purely for profit?

Nice! Highest I ever spend on a domain name that I liked (with no intentions to ever sell the domain) was around $500. At one point I did want to spend around $20K on a domain I really liked (an upgrade name for my business) but ended up not doing it. At a later date Media Options then purchased that domain name from that owner so I can't even buy it anymore as the price is now 4-5X higher I'm sure lol.

Last edited:
•••
Nice! Highest I ever spend on a domain name that I liked (with no intentions to ever sell the domain) was around $500. At one point I did want to spend around $20K on a domain I really liked (an upgrade name for my business) but ended up not doing it. At a later date Media Options then purchased that domain name from that owner so I can't even buy it anymore as the price is now 4-5X higher I'm sure lol.
That sucks!

•••
I have hand regged names just because I liked the sound of them, that's what eventually led to me domaining. Not sure I'd ever spend big money for that reason though.

•••
I used to buy Typo's , however it is hand reg at USD .99 - USD 9.99. Then i buy Justdropped on USD 69, my highest buy is USD 700, however this domain has 92,000 searches per month.

•••
I used to buy Typo's , however it is hand reg at USD .99 - USD 9.99. Then i buy Justdropped on USD 69, my highest buy is USD 700, however this domain has 92,000 searches per month.
My typos make the most money in parking. Love em.

•••
I wish I had that "just because" money to spend...

•••
It is always necessary to see money in this business. I always see a profit of a domain before considering it. Never buy it because you like it.

But we are human.
Sometime we like something so much.
We are not always in bussiness.

•••
This is my money making hobby - not my living. I may think and react differently if my family had to live off domain money

•••
I never buy names 'just because'. I learned my lesson years ago.

Once I waited almost ten years for a domain to drop because I refused to pay the 3k the person wanted. It wasn't even worth near that much. Just a domain I used to have when I first started in 2001 and I wanted it back for nostalgic reasons. I finally got the name back for reg fee when it was finally dropped. :)

•••
I never buy names 'just because'. I learned my lesson years ago.

Once I waited almost ten years for a domain to drop because I refused to pay the 3k the person wanted. It wasn't even worth near that much. Just a domain I used to have when I first started in 2001 and I wanted it back for nostalgic reasons. I finally got the name back for reg fee when it was finally dropped. :)
I had similar experience with you. I was looking for a domain that i really liked, at that time it was available. I did a mistake and registered with one letter different , the word should have a "z" and i bought the spelling with "s". When i realized this, i tried to register the version that was the correct spelling. Unfortunately it was just registered couple of minutes ago. I contacted the owner , and he had offered the price as USD 10,000, i bargained low x,000, he refused. One year later i see this as an expiring domain, and it went to an auction. I was able to win at USD 165, which was much lower than USD 10,000 :)

•••
I have hand regged names just because I liked the sound of them, that's what eventually led to me domaining. Not sure I'd ever spend big money for that reason though.
started with hand regs , now domaining, next just because see how it works ? ;) It's a right of passage!
Happy Hunting

•••
started with hand regs , now domaining, next just because see how it works ? ;) It's a right of passage!
Happy Hunting

Well i started out as a web developer and still am, but after being made an offer for a couple of domains I hadn't yet developed, I made my first sales before I'd even heard the word domainer :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back