IT.COM

discuss Did you ever spend a bunch just because?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought pledgeofallegiance.com today because I loved the name! I paid almost $5,000 and I don't care. I have no idea what it's worth and I don't really care right now.
Anyone buy a name just because you liked it or was it purely for profit?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I never buy names 'just because'. I learned my lesson years ago.

Once I waited almost ten years for a domain to drop because I refused to pay the 3k the person wanted. It wasn't even worth near that much. Just a domain I used to have when I first started in 2001 and I wanted it back for nostalgic reasons. I finally got the name back for reg fee when it was finally dropped. :)
Nice catch !

•••
Well i started out as a web developer and still am, but after being made an offer for a couple of domains I hadn't yet developed, I made my first sales before I'd even heard the word domainer :xf.smile:
Well then, you were born to be here !
Cheers

•••
One year later i see this as an expiring domain, and it went to an auction. I was able to win at USD 165, which was much lower than USD 10,000 :)

The mean part of me (~50%) would have contacted the (former) owner again with "ok, you win $10k." :)
The petty part of me (~50%) would have contacted the (former) owner again with "should have taken my offer." :)

•••
The highest I have paid is $5000 for Diamonds.de about 2 years back, a good but impulsive purchase. Have had only a few offers until now. This was near to when I started domaining.

On second thoughts, maybe I would have been better off betting that much on a single word COM domain. Could have turned it faster.

•••
I was once smitten by MakeMillionBakeBillion.com. I read the phrase somewhere and was impressed. I registered but dropped it after one year.

•••
That's how YOU think. I cant make money on my Denali but I bought. Sometimes you buys things as a want not a need.

What Denali one? I sold a Denali name for $388 in the fall I believe through Afternic. Could that be you?

•••
What Denali one? I sold a Denali name for $388 in the fall I believe through Afternic. Could that be you?
No - I meant the real thing - 2500 GMC truck

•••
I bought pledgeofallegiance.com today because I loved the name! I paid almost $5,000 and I don't care.
Most Americans spend $5,000+ every year on junk food and a thousand other impulse purchases of things they don't need. Your purchase could turn a profit one day, it doesn't come out your other end, and it doesn't get flushed down the toilet.

Wise investment!

I'm American and allowed to make this opinion. :-P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back