IT.COM

poll Do you care about profit?

NameSilo
Watch

Do you care about making a profit from your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I care about making a profit

votes
    100.0%
  • No, I don't care about making a profit

votes
    0.0%
  • I don't know

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
I register domain names to make a profit from them, except for a few which are not-for-profit. I don't care how I profit from a domain name as long as it's a. legal and b.ethical. Who's here to make a profit and who's here just for the fun? (which is fine, by the way).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If someone thinks losing money is fun and not interested in making a profit then go and bet on a donkey race - more exciting and you get better odds.....

•••
Domaining is a kind of investing. Everybody who invest plans to get some profit.
Never heard of someone doin' it just for fun.

•••
•••
I don't like losing money, even if it is for fun.

•••
You wouldn't happen to be related to @abstractdomainer, would you?

I don't see why you can't make a profit AND have fun. If its just a black and white scenario (profit or fun), it may come as no surprise for domain investors selling domains, to sway on profit

Last edited:
•••
Profit is the evidence that domaining works. Of course its not a get rick quick scheme, but if you put the work and the money of course, its unlikely not to get rewarded in time.
Of course you must have some natural tedency and know the market to some degree, otherwise you will most likely end up like the guys in the appraisal section who buy domains without purpose- most of the times.

Last edited:
•••
If someone thinks losing money is fun and not interested in making a profit then go and bet on a donkey race - more exciting and you get better odds.....
If that is the case, it is a hobby not a business.

For me this is a hobby and a business.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Domainers do. The owner of the-brown-truck.biz doesn't.
So basically you are asking whether we are domainers.

Of course we are trying to make profit,
but not necessarily immediately. We can go to negative
intentionally for a while, hoping to become even more positive than we would otherwise soon.

Positive always : no.
Positive eventually, and most of the time: yes.
Reject some offers when you are negative: possible.
Existence of liquid domains can make us feel we are in positive domain.

You can have 1B debt all your life, but because of cash flow it may not be a problem.
You can live a luxury life, and everyone would think you are rich,
but while their net worth might be 10K, yours would be -1B, so technically
you are the poorest.

Last edited:
•••
make profit while having fun

•••
If that is the case, it is a hobby not a business.

For me this is a hobby and a business.

Brad
Same here - I have some hobbies, like chess for example which is for fun....others like domains, collecting first edition books or rare video games where it's a hobby but the aim is to make a profit (If I ever decided to sell them, not likely though) - either for me or the kids with the books, most likely the children will get them......they won't be getting the video games, taking them with me on the Viking/Norse funeral

Last edited:
•••
chess24 was great. now it is bad. things are made worse intentionally everywhere.

•••
chess24 was great. now it is bad. things are made worse intentionally everywhere.

people keep saying this as if things were any good b4 that. or like we were in eden. such pathetic mentality..... sometime u just gotta bring bulldozer in so u have nice fresh leveled ground to better rebuild on.

•••
Yes, we're related. That's basic mathematics. So are you and I, cuz.
I don't see why you can't make a profit AND have fun. If its just a black and white scenario (profit or fun), it may come as no surprise for domain investors selling domains, to sway on profit
I just don't think most domainers care about making a profit as much as reading cool stories about $100k sales and being like "wish I could do that" rather than putting a plan into action and making it happen.

•••
Same here - I have some hobbies, like chess for example which is for fun....others like domains, collecting first edition books or rare video games where it's a hobby but the aim is to make a profit (If I ever decided to sell them, not likely though) - either for me or the kids with the books, most likely the children will get them......they won't be getting the video games, taking them with me on the Viking/Norse funeral
I think some domainers enjoy collecting domain names without having a realistic plan to profit from them, much like as you say collecting rare edition first books or rare video games. In domain name terms the investment is both money and time, in fact time is often the greater investment. I just can't fathom why the majority of domainers never make a profit from their portfolios? Was it a foregone conclusion that most people don't get that domains are a business asset and that they should only obtain VALUABLE business assets. Why so many dud registrations and pointless auctions? Most domains can be monetised in one way or another. Seems like domainers think not selling a domain is the be-all-and-end-all. Baffling.

Last edited:
•••
Is this a trick question? lol.

I like making a profit...does that make me bad?

-Omar

•••
I've never seen a more unanimous vote. Good to see everyone has their head in the right place

•••
Is this a trick question? lol.

I like making a profit...does that make me bad?

-Omar
If everyone cares about making profit by selling domain names, and selling domain names CLEARLY doesn't make any profit for 99% of domainers, then most domainers obviously DON'T care about profit. You care about selling. There's a difference. There are 100s of ways to make profit from owning a car, in addition to selling cars. Same goes for domain names. Domaining isn't just selling domain names. 99% of domainers don't get that and I don't understand why? Suppose it took 300000 years for humans to realise that the earth isn't a flat planet, so these things take time. I bet if you told an AI robot to profit from a domain name there would be literally hundreds or even thousands of different methods of attack.

•••
I've never seen a more unanimous vote. Good to see everyone has their head in the right place
Best intentions don't always materialise into results. Profiting from domain names is easy. Selling undeveloped domain names is NOT the most statistically lucrative way to monetise them. That's a fact. Being in the minority doesn't automatically make somebody wrong.

Last edited:
•••
What an absurd question!

Of course I don't mind making a profit and would rather die crawling in hunger and misery.

That's what we're here for, right?

•••
What an absurd question!
Absurd, adjective "wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate." Why is it an absurd question? Clearly 99% of domainers disagree by the very fact they don't make a profit when it's so easy. So that's a reasonably appropriate and logical question. Something you care about is usually something you take care of, when most don't - hence the question mate.
That's what we're here for, right?
That's the essence of my question.

•••

(re)demo version of abstractdomainer? ))

•••
Frankly, anyone runs a business or trades in commodities (including domains) for profits. However while saying that, I do remember a dialogue of a movie, where in "A producer doesn't stop producing movies if a movie fails, he just bets on another story for his next production".

So business/trading is not only done for profits, but also for the passion.

•••
Clearly 99% of domainers disagree by the very fact they don't make a profit when it's so easy.

Did you reach this percentage value by doing statistical studies between different groups?

If it's as easy as you claim, would you mind sharing your tricks with us?

•••
It depends on how you define profit.

If revenue covers working hours, acquisition, management and renewals I would be ok operating at zero profit.

•••
Back