IT.COM

debate Do you believe in DropCatch(dot)com eyes on your Backorder ?

NameSilo
Watch

Do you believe in DropCatch(dot)com eyes on your Backorder ?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    50.0%
  • No

votes
    26.5%
  • Can't Say

votes
    23.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

dilipbagdi

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I am 100% sure that dropcatch(dot)com eyes on your backorder for sure. Do you believe the same and let go your good backorder in hands of dropcatch easily after working so hard?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey dibag! How are you? What gives you that idea? Do you think they are cheating or something?

•••
IMO we'd know if that happens. Someone would have a concrete example of a name they backordered that dropcatch said they didn't get but ended up at HugeDomains.

There's no way to hide that.

Last edited:
•••
IMO we'd know if that happens. Someone would have a concrete example of a name they backordered that dropcatch said they didn't get but ended up at HugeDomains.

There's no way to hide that.

yea well it usually ends up with Hexonet or Ztomy or some other registrar I've never heard of. Are we to assume these companies have better resources and money to have the best equipment to dropcatch domains and beat the "rich" dropcatch?

best part? once they end up with the "other guys".

the domains of course have privacy.

you basically have to "trust" they are being honest.

I'm the perpetual skeptic. nothing personal dropcatch. I just don't trust 100% of the time always.

•••
yea well it usually ends up with Hexonet or Ztomy or some other registrar I've never heard of. Are we to assume these companies have better resources and money to have the best equipment to dropcatch domains and beat the "rich" dropcatch?

best part? once they end up with the "other guys".

the domains of course have privacy.

you basically have to "trust" they are being honest.

I'm the perpetual skeptic. nothing personal dropcatch. I just don't trust 100% of the time always.

From my understanding its all about timing the registration request. Sure with 100s of accredited registrars and finely tuned algorithms those like dropcatch and namejet have better chances but bo no means exclude lucky timing by smaller registrars.

Can you point to a domain where that happened then need up at HugeDomains ?

•••
From my understanding its all about timing the registration request. Sure with 100s of accredited registrars and finely tuned algorithms those like dropcatch and namejet have better chances but bo no means exclude lucky timing by smaller registrars.

Can you point to a domain where that happened then need up at HugeDomains ?
I can't right now. I'll need to check my inbox for that failed attempt email from DC.

•••
I heard that many times from my customers.

•••
I know the feeling, I posted about my suspicions. I suggested people backorder from others too if the name is that important.

•••
We Caught These Just For You:
webtore.com
eyephonic.com
locksmithsincardiff.com

Remember, payment for caught backorders are due by the 4th day after we catch them. You can either check out in your account's cart, or setup a payment method to allow for automatic deliveries, more details here in the FAQ
We Missed These:
libremedia.com - Its understood that dropcatch didn't catch it.
thomascontracting.com - same

We may not have gotten these awesome names for you, but just think: it didn't cost you a dime. Care to try again?
We caught these domains, but they were preempted by either a regular backorder or a partner backorder:
allclearservices.com, Standard - This 2 domains made me think for sure
mobilehomecare.com, Partner

•••
We Caught These Just For You:
webtore.com
eyephonic.com
locksmithsincardiff.com

Remember, payment for caught backorders are due by the 4th day after we catch them. You can either check out in your account's cart, or setup a payment method to allow for automatic deliveries, more details here in the FAQ
We Missed These:

We may not have gotten these awesome names for you, but just think: it didn't cost you a dime. Care to try again?
We caught these domains, but they were preempted by either a regular backorder or a partner backorder:

You might be thinking why those 2 domains I am pointing. But this is what they are spying.

•••
We Missed These:
Both are at NetworkSolutions so they went to NameJet/SnapNames. No real surprise there.

This explains itself you tried a discount club backorder, both regular backorders and HugeDomains backorders will take precedent, so surprise here they make that explicit.

Please DO NOT use this program to capture highly contested domains.

If you want a highly contested domain place a Regular Backorder. Highly contested domains have a low chance of being caught through the Discount Club.

All backorders are prioritized through a three-tier system:

• Regular Backorders
  • Bulk Partner Backorders [ie. HugeDomains]
  • Discount Club Backorders

So if you use a regular backorder you will beat out HugeDomains. Discount backorder, HD gets first right of refusal.

•••
Both are at NetworkSolutions so they went to NameJet/SnapNames. No real surprise there.

This explains itself you tried a discount club backorder, both regular backorders and HugeDomains backorders will take precedent, so surprise here they make that explicit.

So if you use a regular backorder you will beat out HugeDomains. Discount backorder, HD gets first right of refusal.

oh ok. so I've been doing it right all this time then. even though damn! $59 sure is a hard pistachio to swallow for a backorder.

but I have to disagree a bit. there were plenty of times I ordered a $59 backorder and still the domains ended up not caught and in the hands of less known backorder systems.

sometimes I feel like just installing a software on my server and just DIY it. but I'm guessing I'd lose to Dropcatch 100% of the time. right? or even the lesser known dropcatch services that beat dropcatch?

is a DIY option the best option?

•••
oh ok. so I've been doing it right all this time then. even though damn! $59 sure is a hard pistachio to swallow for a backorder.

but I have to disagree a bit. there were plenty of times I ordered a $59 backorder and still the domains ended up not caught and in the hands of less known backorder systems.

sometimes I feel like just installing a software on my server and just DIY it. but I'm guessing I'd lose to Dropcatch 100% of the time. right? or even the lesser known dropcatch services that beat dropcatch?

for .com the game is between dropcatch and snapnames only.

•••

That's a different problem. That's not HugeDomains taking it instead of letting a DropCatch customer getting it, that's DropCatch not getting the domain at all.

Drop catching is all about being the first one to ask the registry to register a domain name after it becomes available. You can think of it like calling into a radio station where caller 10 wins a prize. If everyone calls in with 1 phone line, gets to make 1 call at a time, they are all on equal ground to win. But if you have someone who gets 20 phone lines installed and writes a program to auto dial each of the lines nearly simultaneously compared to you with 1 line, their chances are much better, though you could still sneak in and be caller #10.

In the same way both DropCatch and NameJet/SnapNames have lots of "phone lines" or accredited registrars to make more attempts to be the one that gets a domain. They develop complex algorithms to spread out all their domains they are trying to catch across all their connections.

DropCatch uses it's own registrars, usually named I believe DropCatch##, LLC.

SnapNames and NameJet pool together resources from numerous regular registrars, so in most cases where some obscure registrar won the name they are most likely part of the pool used by SnapNames/NameJet.

Though it is also possible that they are running independently, if they are they are winning only very few names due more to luck than anything else. In the same way if you try on your own, you might get lucky and win some names but you will essentially be out-gunned.

Last edited:
•••
That's a different problem. That's not HugeDomains taking it instead of letting a DropCatch customer getting it, that's DropCatch not getting the domain at all.

Drop catching is all about being the first one to ask the registry to register a domain name after it becomes available. You can think of it like calling into a radio station where caller 10 wins a prize. If everyone calls in with 1 phone line, gets to make 1 call at a time, they are all on equal ground to win. But if you have someone who gets 20 phone lines installed and writes a program to auto dial each of the lines nearly simultaneously compared to you with 1 line, their chances are much better, though you could still sneak in and be caller #10.

In the same way both DropCatch and NameJet/SnapNames have lots of "phone lines" or accredited registrars to make more attempts to be the one that gets a domain. They develop complex algorithms to spread out all their domains they are trying to catch across all their connections.

DropCatch uses it's own registrars, usually named I believe DropCatch##, LLC.

SnapNames and NameJet pool together resources from numerous regular registrars, so in most cases where some obscure registrar won the name they are most likely part of the pool used by SnapNames/NameJet.

Though it is also possible that they are running independently, if they are they are winning only very few names due more to luck than anything else. In the same way if you try on your own, you might get lucky and win some names but you will essentially be out-gunned.

I thought that exactly.

I wish there was some way to keep "everyone" honest where there is no possible way for these companies to "front run" dropcatches.

I mean seriously. Sometimes I feel like as when we use free "whois lookup" sites or even the registrars domain look up system.

that our "look ups" are basically us working for free for these places to provide them with "Free ideas" to either reg themselves for their own company or to give as suggestions to their customers like you and me.

It's almost most like WE ARE THE AI.

•••
I mean seriously. Sometimes I feel like as when we use free "whois lookup" sites or even the registrars domain look up system.

that our "look ups" are basically us working for free for these places to provide them with "Free ideas" to either reg themselves for their own company or to give as suggestions to their customers like you and me.

It's almost most like WE ARE THE AI.

I've heard of some examples where it seems like certain registrars are doing that. But we don;t know for sure. There are so many new registrations every second its completely possible for someone else to come up with the same name and search for and buy it when you did but didn't buy. That seems the most likely culprit IMO because it always seems to happen at the largest registrars (you know the ones most people use)....

I have no worries if I check the domain availability at Epik for example that they or their staff would use that. But if there is not a registrar you trust you can always go directly to verisign's whois for their TLDs to check availability.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've heard of some examples where it seems like certain registrars are doing that. But we don;t know for sure. There are so many new registrations every second its completely possible for someone else to come up with the same name and search for and buy it when you did but didn't buy. That seems the most likely culprit IMO because it always seems to happen at the largest registrars (you know the ones most people use)....

I have no worries if I check the domain availability at Epik for example that they or their staff would use that. But if there is not a registrar you trust you can always go directly to verisign's whois for their TLDs to check availability.

yea or simply just type the url in the address bar and see if it's live.

•••
I truly believe they are scumbag (that's my personal opinion) used them in past .. NO MORE!!

•••
  1. I searched for a name dropping today few hours to drop on dropcatch and I found out it had no backorder bid and I didn't request for one. The name is now caught by dropcatch. Pisses me off. Hard lesson learnt
Don't search for name on dropcatch if you have no intention of paying $59 !
They are the big bad wolf.

Yes they are spying on our names..

Last edited:
•••
  1. I searched for a name dropping today few hours to drop on dropcatch and I found out it had no backorder bid and I didn't request for one. The name is now caught by dropcatch. Pisses me off. Hard lesson learnt
Don't search for name on dropcatch if you have no intention of paying $59 !
They are the big bad wolf.

Yes they are spying on our names..
So, you believe you're the only one doing research? Another point, there is no way to know beforehand how many bidders are playing. There are plenty of last minute bids.

You win some, you lose some.

•••
So, you believe you're the only one doing research? Another point, there is no way to know beforehand how many bidders are playing. There are plenty of last minute bids.

You win some, you lose some.
. The name had no bid when I checked and it still doesn't have any bids on dropcatch ATm.. so yeah! They snatch it from my lookup.

•••
. The name had no bid when I checked and it still doesn't have any bids on dropcatch ATm.. so yeah! They snatch it from my lookup.
Someone put a backorder on it at the last minute and was the only one to do so. When this happens, they win the domain outright. It won't appear in an auction.
What's the name?

•••
Someone put a backorder on it at the last minute and was the only one to do so. When this happens, they win the domain outright. It won't appear in an auction.
What's the name?
I don't think thst's the case here.. I can't afford $59 atm for the name so here it goes "EpicFusion.com"

•••
I don't think thst's the case here.. I can't afford $59 atm for the name so here it goes "EpicFusion.com"

Goodluck

•••
Back