IT.COM

question Why don't private seller Dropcatch domains get bids like w/ dropped/prerelease?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I just don't get it. I'm just doing a quick snapshot of Dropcatch and I find that private sellers (unless it's a short 4L) domain never gets the kind of action that dropped or pre-release domains get.

right now there are 132 Dropped domains at auction on Dropcatch.

All of them have bids.

There are 839 Private seller domains and out of those there are only 12 with bids.

As I understand it. On Dropcatch. all dropped domains with bids are listed for auction because someone ordered a backorder on them and also someone else backordered it. I guess that explains that.

It doesn't make sense to me why someone would backorder domains like below.

necsl2018.org
Zhbanz.com
SyshrC.com
R1ch.com
worldcitiesnetwork.org
descweb.org
Ler-Qi.org
Hitachi-Hli.com
Cfc-Foundation.org
Otona-Times.com
Mfdzs.com

and many more.

Yet No one bothers to bid on Private Seller domains like the ones below?

THCRealty.com
Tweeding.com
LeafVegetable.com
369669.com
inventoryscout.com
GeekBond.com
careershopper.com
Ecalcium.com
5555506.com
AcidGroove.com
ZingCars.com
ND29.com
carforsaleus.com

And so much more.

Is all that is really needed for these private seller domains is to have proper promotion for each domain to get bids?

I am assuming that the sellers listed them and never bothered to properly promote them. Is that why the private seller domains hardly have bids?

It amazes me how people would rather spend money on domains that in effect have reset their lifecycle than on private seller domains that have not deleted and have some aging on them.

I just don't get it.

The Dropped domains. Is it really all because that those domains possibly have good seo benefits and have a ton of backlinks?

I'd hate to end up with no bids on my private seller domains.

I do like the consistent sales for Dropcatch on Namebio but I've realized most of those are of dropped domains where two people ordered backorders for that domain.

Are there any successful private seller domain sales on Dropcatch?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hear buyers filter out Private sellers. It’s sad..

Would love to hear if anyone had one sale DC.

DropCatch is out of Beta, Stop ignoring Private

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I hear buyers filter out Private sellers. It’s sad..

Would love to hear if anyone had one sale DC.

DropCatch is out of Beta. Stop ignoring Private

yea that's what I thought. I got all excited everytime I see a dropcatch sale pop up on Namebio and then I do a filter for only dropcatch domain sales and see so many. but when I check out the website. I realize it's ALL dropped domains.

So if at all the platforms people simply filter out private sellers. What's the use in selling our domains at auction?

•••
For the same reason that, if one wins a domain at auction for x price they will struggle to sell it for x/2 at the same auction or even to the same people that participated in that auction.

People consider a risk what other people sell but they are ok with random drops as long as others want them.

•••
think they should consider a revenue model where prospective sellers assuming we pass, can pay a fee, where cant removed. worth pay! @DropCatch Support. Seller get no respect exposure relative to drops

Samer

Last edited:
•••
For the same reason that, if one wins a domain at auction for x price they will struggle to sell it for x/2 at the same auction or even to the same people that participated in that auction.

People consider a risk what other people sell but they are ok with random drops as long as others want them.

so basically as far as domain auctions are concerned it's like an expensive game of hot potato or musical chairs lol(y)

It explains a lot. I once had a domainer sell me a pretty good domain that I was confident would be worth 5 figures. So I bought it for what I thought was a steal.

I asked the seller who seemed experienced why they didn't just auction the domain and he told me that auctions rarely ever fetch a good price for even the best domains.

If this is the case why do some domains sell for 5 figures at auction?

does it really all just boil down to the right amount of promotion?

do certain domainers simply have the right kind of "draw" to their auctions?

Do some domainers simply have the right kind of audience or friends?

Seems to me if you don't know anyone in domaining no chance you can get bids on your domains from domainers.

I was about to pull the trigger and auction some of my best domains on Dropcatch but after looking at several auctions on there from private sellers and what they finally sold for. I wasn't very impressed.

I got a bit scared actually.

but I guess this happens at all auction platforms.

I feel stricken with fear when it comes to even thinking about listing my domains for a no reserve auction and just "letting it ride".

•••
I don't have an active ahrefs subscription at the moment but I'd imagine a lot of the names in the first list have some pretty worthwhile backlinks, and a portion of the ones in the second list don't really surprise me that they aren't going for a lot tbh

People either want to build a new money site on a domain with existing links because it's easier to get traction, or they want to add it to their PBN to help rank an existing site, or maybe even to sell links on it and make their investment back several times over.

Another factor, perhaps, is that the private seller names on average aren't as good so people just filter them out. Sometimes, private sellers have very interesting vaulations of their names. Like people on here who will respond to "buying names at reseller prices" and will offer a name that maxed out in auction at $300 a couple of weeks ago, for $1500. Or a handreg in a 2nd-tier extension from earlier this year for $8000. At least with the drop auctions, there's more of a sense of a "market" imo, I can totally understand filtering out the private sellers when you're looking for good deals.

But if folks here think that the private seller auctions are under-appreciated, that sounds to me like it's a great opportunity for you to buy from them :) If a lot of buyers are filtering them out, that means less competition for you to buy.

Last edited:
•••
I don't have an active ahrefs subscription at the moment but I'd imagine a lot of the names in the first list have some pretty worthwhile backlinks, and a portion of the ones in the second list don't really surprise me that they aren't going for a lot tbh

People either want to build a new money site on a domain with existing links because it's easier to get traction, or they want to add it to their PBN to help rank an existing site, or maybe even to sell links on it and make their investment back several times over.

Another factor, perhaps, is that the private seller names on average aren't as good so people just filter them out. Sometimes, private sellers have very interesting vaulations of their names. Like people on here who will respond to "buying names at reseller prices" and will offer a name that maxed out in auction at $300 a couple of weeks ago, for $1500. Or a handreg in a 2nd-tier extension from earlier this year for $8000. At least with the drop auctions, there's more of a sense of a "market" imo, I can totally understand filtering out the private sellers when you're looking for good deals.

But if folks here think that the private seller auctions are under-appreciated, that sounds to me like it's a great opportunity for you to buy from them :) If a lot of buyers are filtering them out, that means less competition for you to buy.

lol nah. I'm not a "buyer" just a seller trying to understand how Dropcatch can benefit me.

I can understand people filtering out private sellers on say Godaddy when they have reserves but I don't get why people using dropcatch would filter our private sellers when Dropcatch there is not a reserve option. It's all NO Reserve.

I mean I'd filter out Private Sellers just to power search thru Dropcatch with the assumption that all private sellers want top dollar and probably will have a reserve price on their auctions.

That I get. but on a platform where it's NO Reserve all around. I don't get it.

•••

Yes, but at $59 starting, it can become an expensive game to play....

and that's if ir's wirhout their ridiculous reserves Never reserve in expired btw,
if you look at it; it's also partly caused by their own greed with the ridiculous reserves.
It's never black and weight. -- Expired domains never be "$500 reserve"

Last edited:
•••
if the dropped had no bids they would not be there, they would be in the one person that big on it. So obviously all in dropped will have bidders. Plus some people get more excited over catching a name, this is why people get carried away with bidding.

Pre-Release are names that dropcatch owned, usually they have years of history, if you google them, you can see what they tried to sell them for.

Private seller domains are rarely really good. The good ones have bidders, like today, the 4l's and some good ones have bidders.

•••
I just don't get it. I'm just doing a quick snapshot of Dropcatch and I find that private sellers (unless it's a short 4L) domain never gets the kind of action that dropped or pre-release domains get.

All of them have bids.

There are 839 Private seller domains and out of those there are only 12 with bids.

As I understand it. On Dropcatch. all dropped domains with bids are listed for auction because someone ordered a backorder on them and also someone else backordered it. I guess that explains that.

necsl2018.org
Zhbanz.com
SyshrC.com
R1ch.com
worldcitiesnetwork.org
descweb.org
Ler-Qi.org
Hitachi-Hli.com
Cfc-Foundation.org
Otona-Times.com
Mfdzs.com

and many more.

THCRealty.com
Tweeding.com
LeafVegetable.com
369669.com
inventoryscout.com
GeekBond.com
careershopper.com
Ecalcium.com
5555506.com
AcidGroove.com
ZingCars.com
ND29.com
carforsaleus.com

And so much more.

Is all that is really needed for these private seller domains is to have proper promotion for each domain to get bids?

I am assuming that the sellers listed them and never bothered to properly promote them. Is that why the private seller domains hardly have bids?

It amazes me how people would rather spend money on domains that in effect have reset their lifecycle than on private seller domains that have not deleted and have some aging on them.

I just don't get it.

The Dropped domains. Is it really all because that those domains possibly have good seo benefits and have a ton of backlinks?

I do like the consistent sales for Dropcatch on Namebio but I've realized most of those are of dropped domains where two people ordered backorders for that domain.

woops. just got reprimanded by NP for adding direct links to the dropcatch auctions.

Sorry NP! I just copied direct from the dropcatch website instead of manually typing it.

•••
if the dropped had no bids they would not be there, they would be in the one person that big on it. So obviously all in dropped will have bidders. Plus some people get more excited over catching a name, this is why people get carried away with bidding.

Pre-Release are names that dropcatch owned, usually they have years of history, if you google them, you can see what they tried to sell them for.

Private seller domains are rarely really good. The good ones have bidders, like today, the 4l's and some good ones have bidders.

yea exactly. The only private seller domains getting bids are the 4L's for obvious reasons.

and the "good ones" I can only imagine the time and money spent to promote them on sites like NP and Namebio.

I just wish there was some "bulletproof" plan to give your domain auctions a fighting chance at any of these platforms.

you can have the best domain in the world but can be beat by the most mediocre domain in the world owned by a domainer who is content with just making double or triple handreg fees.

•••
Yes, but at $59 starting, it can become an expensive game to play....

and that's if ir's wirhout their ridiculous reserves Never reserve in expired btw,
if you look at it; it's also partly caused by their own greed with the ridiculous reserves.
It's never black and weight. -- Expired domains never be "$500 reserve"

they have reserves at dropcatch?

also when you told me that the "main problem" for private sellers on Dropcatch is the simple fact that Dropcatch gives users the option to filter out Private sellers.

So my questions to you are this.

1. what would happen if Dropcatch eliminated the ability to filter out Private Sellers? would it affect their business much?
2. How about at other platforms?
3. Would such platforms even consider it if say a group of private sellers filed a request or complaint to make changes like this?

•••
if dropcatch remove the TAG of private seller, That's will help alot.

•••
If a domain drops and there are others interested in catching it, it might be your only chance to acquire it, so you'll bid like crazy. If it's auctioned off by a domainer, there is no hurry in buying it, unless maybe someone else starts bidding.

•••
I imagine prerelease are names expired from huge domains that there was no interest in? Lots of first last names listed, I don't buy those but there's a few promising ones bettingdepot.com gaining traction, mailto.com is something I'd bid on. They're known for dropcatching, all else will follow accordingly.

•••
they have reserves at dropcatch?

Reserves are self-inflicted wound to reputation

Expired auctions have no reserves
Private sellers have stupid reserves

nobody likes reserve they should eschew them

Samer

Last edited:
•••
1. what would happen if Dropcatch eliminated the ability to filter out Private Sellers? would it affect their business much?
2. How about at other platforms?
3. Would such platforms even consider it if say a group of private sellers filed a request or complaint to make changes like this?
1 No, because most buyers at dropcatch are after the drops, so they're already posted in their watch/buying list.
2 Perhaps if they didn't list the single auction as private seller and the auctions were public.
3 I don't believe so unless they're a newer platform influenced by avid buyers speaking their minds.
If you don't buy names that end users want, why would domainers be interested. There will be nice pickings from dropcatch prerelease and private sellers but few and far between as they've been held with limited interest.

•••
Reserves are self-inflicted wound to reputation

Expired auctions have no reserves
Private sellers have stupid reserves

nobody likes reserve they should eschew them

Samer

but when Private Sellers put No Reserves they will need to take a Valium just to calm their nerves.

Plus the amount of effort just to get "eyes" on their auctions is too much to think about.

and then there is no guarantee that once you send people to YOUR auctions that they won't wander off to those filter options again and just filter for domains "with bids".

I'm starting to think that the only really way to have full control of the situation is to create your own personal domain auction for just your domains.

basically tunnel vision. The question is. How do you get people to your auctions?

I'll think of a way and get back to you guys.

•••

All of them have bids.

necsl2018.org
Zhbanz.com
SyshrC.com
R1ch.com
worldcitiesnetwork.org
descweb.org
Ler-Qi.org
Hitachi-Hli.com
Cfc-Foundation.org
Otona-Times.com
Mfdzs.com

and many more.

THCRealty.com
Tweeding.com
LeafVegetable.com
369669.com
inventoryscout.com
GeekBond.com
careershopper.com
Ecalcium.com
5555506.com
AcidGroove.com
ZingCars.com
ND29.com
carforsaleus.com

And so much more.

I just don't get it.

I can't explain it. You can put much better names on auction and you would be lucky to get 2 bids.

•••
I can't explain it. You can put much better names on auction and you would be lucky to get 2 bids.

yea man exactly.

I don't know I'm always the conspiracy theorist. But anyone ever get the feeling the visitors are being steered or stolen and being sent to the auctions for the domains these registrars have taken as forfeit during redemption?

I'm not talking about platforms that aren't registrars.

•••
yea man exactly.

I don't know I'm always the conspiracy theorist. But anyone ever get the feeling the visitors are being steered or stolen and being sent to the auctions for the domains these registrars have taken as forfeit during redemption?

I'm not talking about platforms that aren't registrars.

I don't know. I did just look at DropCatch and a lot of those domains are not that good and they have multiple bids from $XXX-$X,XXX. If you tried to sell any of those domains yourself, people would probably offer you just $10.

•••
I don't know. I did just look at DropCatch and a lot of those domains are not that good and they have multiple bids from $XXX-$X,XXX. If you tried to sell any of those domains yourself, people would probably offer you just $10.

And therein lies the problem hope @DropCatch Support fix.

I will go through ALL Verification, if at least felt valued...

•••
Because a lot of domainers don't want to buy from other domainers including some that people lionize and worship.

While talking about the email from the reader with a good friend in the business, he laughed and said when he was at NamesCon a very prominent domainer told him he did not buy from domainers while they were having a drink. Yet later on in that conversation as it had shifted, he brought up this domainer again, mentioning that the domainer emailed him some names he had for sale. I said you schmuck you had the perfect reply, “Sorry I don’t buy domain names from domainers.” He laughed and said, “Oh crap, that would have been the perfect reply.”

https://www.thedomains.com/2019/06/10/i-dont-buy-from-domainers-on-principle/

Read the comments, many people feel like Snoopy

Last edited:
•••
Because a lot of domainers don't want to buy from other domainers including some that people lionize and worship.

While talking about the email from the reader with a good friend in the business, he laughed and said when he was at NamesCon a very prominent domainer told him he did not buy from domainers while they were having a drink. Yet later on in that conversation as it had shifted, he brought up this domainer again, mentioning that the domainer emailed him some names he had for sale. I said you schmuck you had the perfect reply, “Sorry I don’t buy domain names from domainers.” He laughed and said, “Oh crap, that would have been the perfect reply.”

https://www.thedomains.com/2019/06/10/i-dont-buy-from-domainers-on-principle/

Read the comments, many people feel like Snoopy

Exactly the article i was scrambling to find:

It sparked an interesting discussion;

“Who cares “who you sell to?” in comments.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back