IT.COM

discuss Disney owns and actively uses the ultimate 2L dot com, but for how much longer?

NameSilo
Watch

Croc

Upgraded Member
Impact
Disney has owned GO.com since the 90s. They formerly used it as a portal for all of their brands and to make "single sign on" and cookie sharing easier across their many sites (Source).

As the web progressed, they realized they no longer needed to put all their new sites on a sub-domain of GO.com in order to use "Single Sign On", so they have slowly been migrating each service to its own root domain, such as DisneyPlus.com.

But they are still using sub-domains of go.com for each of their park locations.

I'm wondering how long before they change over to either a sub-domain of disney.com or a sub-directory of disney.com?

DisneyWorld.com and DisneyLand.com currently do not resolve. Does Disney even own these domains?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com
https://disneyland.disney.go.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They own both Disney Land & World .com

• Name: Disney Enterprises, Inc.; Domain Administrator
  • Organization: Disney Enterprises, Inc.

Last edited:
•••
They own both Disney Land & World .com

• Name: Disney Enterprises, Inc.; Domain Administrator
  • Organization: Disney Enterprises, Inc.
Good to know, but why don't they actively use them, at the very least, set a redirect, but they don't even do that.

•••
Good to know, but why don't they actively use them, at the very least, set a redirect, but they don't even do that.
No idea - if they are known as Disney then that's good for them maybe and they own the other 2 for Brand Protection

•••
I have always liked go.to but I would settle for go.com in a heartbeat...

everyone also knows that I want Creamette...

•••
go-com-2001.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
All of the brands in that top nav bar are owned by Disney.
very impressive. movies.com especially... could have built a netflix/disney+ platform a long time ago with that type of domain

•••
For obvious reasons I will be watching this thread. :xf.cool:

•••
Excellent thread....does anyone know how to get in contact with there marketing sales department?

Warm regards Michael.

•••
I'm trying to acquire a domain from Disney, does anyone knows any way to get them to sell. The price is reasonable, but they won't return my emails.

•••
I'm trying to acquire a domain from Disney, does anyone knows any way to get them to sell. The price is reasonable, but they won't return my emails.
That says it all doesn't it? What are you offering a trillion dollar company, money? If it is, you best be offering them lots of it.

Reasonable? You need to be offering them a goldmine, an offer too good for them to turn down because if not, you are not going to be able to buy a domain name from Disney.

Last edited:
•••
I assume you're trying to buy go.com for your GoDomainers.com business? As @Kingslayer mentioned, it's virtually impossible to buy a domain from Disney.

If you are indeed interested in go.com, you're better off trying to acquire go.domains from Donuts/Identity Digital, which is reserved by them. You can easily find their email address by doing a whois lookup of go.domains.

•••
As long as they like since they can afford to push out movies nobody is buying.

•••
DisneyWorld.com and DisneyLand.com load fine, they might be blocking certain countries

To buy a name from companies like Disney you need a two step process.

First thing is make sure they are not using the name or that the name is something close to what they do. For example, if Disney owned ThemeParks.com, don't bother trying to buy it from them. If they owned ShoeRepair.com, try buying it.

You will make two attempts, the chances of them replying is maybe 1%.

The first contact must include
  • Your name
  • Company name
  • Do not say "you are not using domain.com anyways" instead tell them what you plan on doing with it
  • Show them everything you have done to build your idea
  • Make a substantial offer, the maximum you can afford
  • Explain how you came up with that number
  • Make it personal, tell them about your dreams
  • Why do you need the name, why are you not looking for alternatives
  • Include examples of other big companies that sold names to startups
  • Ask for a reply regardless of their decision
  • INCLUDE A PHONE NUMBER
If you get no reply in 30 days, resent it with letters in big, UPDATED OFFER for Domain.com

This time include everything you already mentioned, and add
  • Details of your companies structure written by your attorney
  • Business plan
  • Valuation
  • Funding status
  • Make them a stock offer, must be substantial, this is the area almost every will fail
  • Offer to return the name if you do not end up meeting specific milestones and they do not have to return any funds

Who to contact at a company like Disney?

CEO, COO, CFO, Board Members etc. You must use digital methods and regular mail (FedEx etc)

My advice is only for startups that need a name for a project, not for a random domain investor.

It is possible to make deals with companies like Disney, however, you will probably overvalue what you are working on and not be aggressive enough price and stock wise, this is the problem in almost all cases.

•••
I assume you're trying to buy go.com for your GoDomainers.com business? As @Kingslayer mentioned, it's virtually impossible to buy a domain from Disney.

If you are indeed interested in go.com, you're better off trying to acquire go.domains from Donuts/Identity Digital, which is reserved by them. You can easily find their email address by doing a whois lookup of go.domains.
No, it's not Go.com, it's another domain from their portfolio for a client. I can't afford to acquire Go.com anytime soon, lol

•••
DisneyWorld.com and DisneyLand.com load fine, they might be blocking certain countries

To buy a name from companies like Disney you need a two step process.

First thing is make sure they are not using the name or that the name is something close to what they do. For example, if Disney owned ThemeParks.com, don't bother trying to buy it from them. If they owned ShoeRepair.com, try buying it.

You will make two attempts, the chances of them replying is maybe 1%.

The first contact must include
  • Your name
  • Company name
  • Do not say "you are not using domain.com anyways" instead tell them what you plan on doing with it
  • Show them everything you have done to build your idea
  • Make a substantial offer, the maximum you can afford
  • Explain how you came up with that number
  • Make it personal, tell them about your dreams
  • Why do you need the name, why are you not looking for alternatives
  • Include examples of other big companies that sold names to startups
  • Ask for a reply regardless of their decision
  • INCLUDE A PHONE NUMBER
If you get no reply in 30 days, resent it with letters in big, UPDATED OFFER for Domain.com

This time include everything you already mentioned, and add
  • Details of your companies structure written by your attorney
  • Business plan
  • Valuation
  • Funding status
  • Make them a stock offer, must be substantial, this is the area almost every will fail
  • Offer to return the name if you do not end up meeting specific milestones and they do not have to return any funds

Who to contact at a company like Disney?

CEO, COO, CFO, Board Members etc. You must use digital methods and regular mail (FedEx etc)

My advice is only for startups that need a name for a project, not for a random domain investor.

It is possible to make deals with companies like Disney, however, you will probably overvalue what you are working on and not be aggressive enough price and stock wise, this is the problem in almost all cases.
Thank you for the great advice, I have already started executing it. Will let you know if if works out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back