Epik

Did I give a wrong advice?

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by Arpit131, Jan 1, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Arpit131

Arpit131 Active Member VIP

A couple of freelancers asked me if they should move into full-time domaining?
    My straight-forward answer was NO!

The reason I advised against it was because while I believe domaining is a good side income and can fetch good amount of money in the long term, it is also a patience game which cannot substitute a continuous flow of income which you get in your job, business or freelancing.

While domaining is a good investment option, it is not very good in terms of substituting a regular income unless you hustle real hard for a couple of years or more!

Was my advice wrong? What do you suggest?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MrAcidic

MrAcidic Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

3. johnnie018

johnnie018 Restricted

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

I agree 100% with the advice you gave. I think that you can be a better domain investor when you do not depend on it as your only source of income, and that your life will be more balanced and healthy as well. I know that a few have managed to make domain investment a full time successful career but I think it is challenging.
    Bob

5. MrAcidic

MrAcidic Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

I am pretty sure those that go full time started out as a hobbyist / part timer gradually building up their knowledge (and domain investment cash balance) before taking the plunge.

If I am wrong on this and some people just dived right in and made a success of it straight off the bat then please let us know.....

6. assured domain deals

assured domain deals Account Auto-Closed

I know it could be possible for some people who are in domaining for the last decade. But, only a few! I believe, a person can not make their living by domaining. So, completely agree with you. (y)

7. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Nobody should go full-time before there is even a proof of concept...

8. ~ The 34 Year Buzz!!

~ The 34 Year Buzz!! Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

[​IMG]

If they enjoy fishing in a lake which is not well stocked (hoping to get lucky), then part-time is good advice, otherwise stay away 100%, unless you want a cheap, easy form of gambling.

9. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

It is also worth pointing out that it depends on where you live.

If someone from a second or third world country has got the basics down, some experience and especially outbound sales (for continuous or semi-continuous sales), it is very possible to live off domaining.

The majority of the world population could live comfortably off of $1k+ per month from domaining.

Of course, absolutely never quit your job until you are consistently earning money and can see your future clearly.

10. ~ The 34 Year Buzz!!

~ The 34 Year Buzz!! Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Sounds great, but...
    You could find many people in the USA who like the idea of getting "the basics down" and making $1k+ per month (or more), and...

How do "second or third world" people have the money to get started?​

Just a reality check. :)

11. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Established Member

Yeah, but Americans can't live off of 1k per month.

And yeah, trust me, thr barrier to entry is large. When I give money for a 4L, it's much more relative to your money.

But I have it si much better if I get the basics down and sell via outbound because the sales mean a lot more to me.

12. lolwarrior

lolwarrior Founder, Brands.International VIP

Unless you live in countries where you can live from several hundreds of dollars / month, do not go full time. Even then I can imagine it must be pretty stressful, as sales are not guarantied and you can get desperate if you depend on them.It is much better and profitable when you do not need sales urgently, that gives you lot of space.

Imo best is to do it as a serious hobby - keep your daily job or business or assets, and enjoy profits from domaining as well :)

13. infosec3

infosec3 Filesville.com - DOMAIN FLIPPING TUTORIAL Gold Account VIP

You gave great advice. Domaining is not easy. Their best alternative is to do it part time until they have a full understanding of it and money to invest indecent domains.

14. Omer Doron

Omer Doron Established Member

I agree with your advice

15. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

It’s a cutthroat business and unless you’re holding old school domains held from the past you’re most likely not going to be making a lot of money at it.

Even these new guys that came in in 2015, and thought they were smarter than everyone else after making a few splashy big flipper sales are pretty quiet these days.

Still like any other business if you’re good at it you’ll do better than others that are similarly situated. Meaning - even if you just start today if you’re good at it and lucky you’ll do better than most.

16. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi

I would tend to agree, as one has to accumulate knowledge about the how to's

but it also depends on what one brings to the table, their own business experience, cash flow, contacts, etc.

it makes a difference in amount of capital you have to invest initially, versus trying to build capital thru sales or create income stream, while trying to sustain the portfolio and remain active in domaining.

Hi
    have to disagree on that.

there are many americans surviving off less than 1k per month

but that too, depends on a lot of other social, economical, educational and other opportunities or the lack of them, that makes the difference in household income..

still, I think OP gave best advice for anybody without prior knowledge of domaining to consider.

as even those who got in when internet first started, had to either be earning a living before that or had some form of income to invest in .com initially.

i'd say if you have a job, keep it and try domaining part-time
    you need health, medical and dental, not only for you, but for family too.

that :poop: is expensive and can wipe away the roi of a domain sail, quick fast and in a hurry

so a full time domainer, gotta have all those duckies, plus unexpected one's covered
    imo….

17. vinothayyavu

vinothayyavu Established Member

True. And Great Advice.

18. ak4586

ak4586 Established Member

Perfect

19. .X.

.X. NameFeature.com Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Great Advice.

A person can become a full-time domainer by domaining part-time and building capital and leverage off selling part-time.

But as I have told SO many people, being a full-time domainer takes talent, you must be extremely strategic and have a natural certain business mentality that is very minority within the industry.

The few I know that are full-time domainers today started part-time and gradually worked their way to a full time status.

20. Arpit131

Absolutely Bob. I agree with your thought process 100%.

That is correct, my friend. But abandoning your source of income to come into domaining which takes years to master and has irregular revenue is what I think makes it a fantastic side business but a not so good full time business.

21. Arpit131

Yeah. People like Ali Zandi and Erwan Kina are rare!

That's a very valid point too, Biggie! Someone with capital would go for nice names. Someone who is starting from scratch will have to build it ground up!!

22. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Haven't heard much from Zandi lately have we? The "fire in his bowels" that told him what to do in 2015, must be out....

https://www.thedomains.com/2017/04/19/ali-zandi-regged-4600-domains-com-promotion/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  23. Arpit131

Back then, he was very inspiring. I haven't heard about him recently. But he learnt and generated results more quickly and better than many. He was real good. Most of his advice were practical and I learnt a lot through some of his posts. I believe, he was successful in that way whether he is still domaining or not!

24. Nisot274

Nisot274 New Member

Whether Domaning, biz or office job. it is not advisable to face a hustle full time. Multiply source of income should be preached and practiced.

25. wormfood

wormfood n ulcbpevgr gung fubhyq or chg qbja Gold Account VIP

he's doing pretty well as a broker though, isn't he?

btw
    "Haha! Actually spent ~200 hours obtaining/sorting data, creating permutations and scouring deleted names lists and created a list of ~5M domains that are were available (had bulk availability checker developed)"

then in the comments
    Screenshot from 2019-01-04 14-27-48.png

95 million were taken?
    there are about 130 million .coms registered.. and he generated 95 million of them? aren't most .coms kind of..random crap..very unique to each registrant..

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!