Domain Empire

advice How to Give Domain Advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
To start 2019, I thought it would be constructive to outline a professional way of offering domaining advice. So much of this forum and domaining involves giving advice, therefore it is helpful to understand an effective approach.

This from Reeshad Dalal, a psychologist at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

1. Only give advice when asked.

Most of us give advice automatically when someone shares a problem, but our good intentions can backfire. "Decision-makers perceive unsolicited advice as intrusive and as implied criticism," Dalal says. "It's a threat to their autonomy." Unsolicited advice sends a message that you're jumping in because they can't handle the problem. It leaves them feeling less competent and capable, undermining their ability to handle the situation themselves. To ensure that your advice is more helpful than harmful, only share it if you're explicitly asked. Otherwise, just listen and empathize.

2. Offer information about the options.

When giving advice, people with more experience often make the mistake of assuming that they know best. "While you may have greater expertise on the topic as a whole, the decision-maker may have greater expertise about the specific decision to be made," Dalal says. To offer expertise in a way that's truly helpful, use it to inform the person about the decision at hand. Tell them what you know about their options, possibly offering a recommendation, then let them use that information to make a sound decision.

3. Help think through the problem.

Traditional advice (of the you-should-do-this variety) might persuade someone to agree with you, but it does very little to help them learn and grow. "Sometimes, having a 'good impact' involves deliberately opting not to persuade," Dalal says. Instead of imposing your opinion, guide them through the process you might use to reach a conclusion. Ask the questions you would ask yourself, and give them an opportunity to talk through the options with you. That approach will help build problem-solving skills that translate to future dilemmas.

4. Express confidence in their judgment.

When someone is facing a dilemma, they need self-confidence to trust their intuition and make an informed choice. "It helps to offer emotional support in addition to advice," Dalal says. "People appreciate both." If someone comes to you for advice, let them know that you’re here to help but you trust them to make an intelligent decision. Your confidence may be all the advice they need.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you are talking about the threads and comments on them...

First we have to educate them to behave as an educated person.

I see almost all threads if someone asking about something....instead of answering/guiding our fellow members jump to make a joke of them or ridicule them...

Here if someone is opening a thread to share their opinions and those opinions are contrary to their beliefs...they just start attacking not because what they think is correct....but because what they think is the "only" correct opinion.

Very few stick to the point and justify with proper wording..

And you will see these when you open a thread about .com/ngTLDs/aged names/crypto currency... You know what I am talking about..

Make it as a number one rule for yourselves to comment only if it is necessary and if you can contribute some constructive thinking to the topic...and try to be helpful not sarcastic (can say insulting in many threads)

You all are got so much knowledge that can be useful for many... please be gentle

Oh to add a great quote here:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit… but the highest form of intelligence.

It is said by Oscar Wilde

We need your knowledge here...not your intelligence (in most cases)

There is a difference between both.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
If you are talking about the threads and comments on them...

First we have to educate them to behave as an educated person.

I see almost all threads if someone asking about something....instead of answering/guiding our fellow members jump to make a joke of them or ridicule them...

Here if someone is opening a thread to share their opinions and those opinions are contrary to their beliefs...they just start attacking not because what they think is correct....but because what they think is the "only" correct opinion.

Very few stick to the point and justify with proper wording..

And you will see these when you open a thread about .com/ngTLDs/aged names/crypto currency... You know what I am talking about..

Make it as a number one rule for yourselves to comment only if it is necessary and if you can contribute some constructive thinking to the topic...and try to be helpful not sarcastic (can say insulting in many threads)

You all are got so much knowledge that can be useful for many... please be gentle
Yes, constructive commenting is good.

Last edited:
•••
Be constructive and polite but if you ask for an opinion prepare yourself for an answer you don't like.....

do-me-a-favor-and-dont-sugarcoat-anything-i-want-22012123.png

•••
This was a topic I was planning to start! Thanks so much @Internet.Domains both for starting it and for the superb points in the quotation!

I know that those who answer with what they view as "brutal honesty" for the most part think they are helping but I think they could have a much more positive contribution through a more supportive response.

As an educator I always found the most effective approach was to give balanced advice that specifically mentioned both positive spects snd things that might be changed or more deeply considered.

Many aspects of domain investment is far from an exact science and I think that should be respected.

The idea of leading through reasoning rather than only give opinion is critical. Thank you and best wishes for 2019!

Bob

•••
This was a topic I was planning to start! Thanks so much @Internet.Domains both for starting it and for the superb points in the quotation!

I know that those who answer with what they view as "brutal honesty" for the most part think they are helping but I think they could have a much more positive contribution through a more supportive response.

As an educator I always found the most effective approach was to give balanced advice that specifically mentioned both positive spects snd things that might be changed or more deeply considered.

Many aspects of domain investment is far from an exact science and I think that should be respected.

The idea of leading through reasoning rather than only give opinion is critical. Thank you and best wishes for 2019!

Bob
Thanks Bob! Regarding the content. In a hurry between multi-tasking, I credited the psychologist, but not the guest writer at Entrepreneur.com.

Credit to: Nadia Goodman (Guest writer for Entrepreneur.com)

•••
I think when you give advise in domaining, brutality or being raw is not needed.

After all, it is a discussion about investment assets, no need to take it too personally,

I gave here many very non-favourable opinions about domains of other people (basically I told them it is a real crap with 0 chances of anything), but it is always best to be polite and to use logical reasoning when you criticise something, in which you explain why do you think so....in this case most people do not hate you that much even when you tell them some unpleasant reality :)

•••
what I've seen over the years"

many give advice that they are not qualified to give
many only repeat what they've been told, as advice, … without really substantiating or verifying, it first

many give same advice others give, just so they can say something

and, most mo-fo's don't heed the advice they should

many only listen to advice from people they like
and most of those same folks, really want to be spoon fed information

a lot of people ask for advice, but they really don't want to hear it.
mostly because they take it personally and think every word is criticism.

and I could go on and on, but I advised myself not to, right now.

:)

imo...

•••
•••
what I've seen over the years"

many give advice that they are not qualified to give
many only repeat what they've been told, as advice, … without really substantiating or verifying, it first

many give same advice others give, just so they can say something

and, most mo-fo's don't heed the advice they should

many only listen to advice from people they like
and most of those same folks, really want to be spoon fed information

a lot of people ask for advice, but they really don't want to hear it.
mostly because they take it personally and think every word is criticism.

and I could go on and on, but I advised myself not to, right now.

:)

imo...

Early lead for post of the year Don, Happy New Year to you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back