Domain Empire

My wife thinks of my domaining as an hobby

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

Even though I have told and shown her that about 50% of our household income (after fees and taxes) is generated from my domaining, she still insists that I spend too much time with it and that I should delete more names. I should also work more as a freelancing translator. A job that I actually 'hate', even though the income is ok too.

Our main income have been generated from internet for the last 15 years, so it's not a general anti-internet-digital thing. More that she think that domaining in general will probably fail, make us bankrupt, or something.

Do anyone have a similar, or perhaps a totally opposite, experience?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The wife isn't to fond of my domaining hobby. Who can blame her? There's always been more money going out than coming in.

I always tell her that just because I'm not selling anything doesn't mean the domains don't have value. Unfortunate for me, she doesn't buy it :xf.confused:

•••
Actually my wife supports my domaining. Even though it doesn't produce 50% of our income, she encourages me to get to the point that I can do it full time.

Through a bone every once in a while. Last year after a nice sale I used "domaining" money to send us on a cruise. This year "domaining" money paid to remodel the bedroom.

Come on guys, part of domaining is salesmanship. Sell your wives on the idea.

She actually very intelligent in that she suggested that I teach one of my adult sons how it is done (she doesn't want to learn, herself) in case I am ever in an accident or something so the portfolio can still be worked. It is just like the succession plans we worked out with other businesses we have owned.

•••
You're spending too much time on [hobby, job, xyz] = you aren't spending enough time with me.

Even my wife would be upset if I was investing in .hobby, .job or .xyz :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
My wife is very supportive, thankfully. She wasn't so much in the early days of domaining, but we were newly married, broke and coming off a failed business with a young child. Now she trusts me with whatever I pursue.

Most women are very conservative when it comes to money, and a bit irrational about risk (ok, ok, so are men). But take your "day job" of freelance translating. Translation work is under heavy attack from ever improving machine translation. It will always take a human to create a polished piece of writing, but a lot of clients don't care how polished it is. And even when they do, polishing will not pay as much as translating and polishing did. But most women will see translation as a reliable income-earning skill, while they will see domains as speculation that can all come crashing down any day.

I have friends who find it difficult to invest in a business because their wives feel the "safe" thing to do is to have a full time job at an established company. The wives see only risk and uncertainty in business ideas and speculation. Yet they completely fail to see the risk inherent in any job - their husband could get laid off or become unable to work, the company could go broke, the company could be downsized or merged, their boss may take a disliking to them. All kinds of risks that are beyond our control come with every job. And, worse, an employee's livelihood may depend on the whims of one person - the boss who holds the god-like power to demolish your security with a stroke of the pen.

I think my wife finally understands this. I have more free-time than the gainfully employed husbands of her friends, and there is less chance of my income suddenly dropping to zero because I have more than one source. The fluctuation of lean months and months of abundance takes some getting used to, but on the other hand, no one person or company can do more than take out one of my wheels. A full time employer can take out all four in a day.

Maybe your wife can come around to seeing this.

•••
Just work hard and she will come while you're cruisn' in your Benz cab ;)

Ps. I have a Toyota :hungover:

My girlfriend like my velo. No spend for gaz. More money for icecream.

•••
As long as I make money for my own expense, my GF is fine with what I do :)

•••
Tell that to Schwartz, Cyger, Mann, Ye, Berkens, Rosener, Parsons, Schilling etc ;)

Yap! Those people you mentioned does not take it as a job but as an investment. Do you know that investment is higher to job?

It seem we need to define job and investment.

This is by collins dictionary:

A job:
is the work that someone does to earn money.
Once I'm in America I can get a job.
Thousands have lost their jobs.
I felt the pressure of being the first woman in the job.
...overseas job vacancies.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/job

Investment:

An investment is an amount of money that you invest, or the thing that you invest it in.
...an investment of twenty-eight million pounds.
You'll be able to earn an average rate of return of 8% on your investments.
...people's desire to buy a house as an investment.
Total foreign investment in America still constitutes only about 5% of U.S. assets.

Jobs are what those who want to feed are looking for, but investment are what wealthy/rich people do; they don't do ordinary jobs but they invest their money on what could bring them fortunes.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/investment

All those domainers you mentioned are wealthy people, they have invested their money wisely and that is why they are very rich.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
For example; look at this; a domain was hand regged within 4 months and 14days and the owner made $48000. That is the kind of what it meant by investment. visit http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm
and see BitcoinCash.org a .org domain name made $48000 for the owner in just 4 months.
Cheers.

•••
Of course you can combine investments with / into a full-time job.

For me this is a job as I do it more than 20 hours a week to be able to pay for my bills and other expenses. It also involves small daily investments. Today I bought two names.

•••
Of course you can combine investments with / into a full-time job.

For me this is a job as I do it more than 20 hours a week to be able to pay for my bills and other expenses. It also involves small daily investments. Today I bought two names.

Domaining is an investment that takes a lot of time to learn the skills; once you acquired the knowledge; your money will start working for you, by then all that it will require is to keep buying good and worthy domains and keep them waiting for end users. Also you need buying liquid domains for quick cash when needed to settle bils.
It is not as if you will not work on your domains by checking and taking them to the right market and so on.
It seems we are going astray out of the thread. Though what I'm saying in essense is that you should let your wife know that you are in stages of learning and that She should contribute to your success and not to derail you.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is an investment that takes a lot of time to learn the skills; once you acquired the knowledge; your money will start working for you, by then all that it will require is to keep buying good and worthy domains and keep them waiting for end users. Also you need buying liquid domains for quick cash when needed to settle bils.
It is not as if you will not work on your domains by checking and taking them to the right market and so on.
It seems we are going astray out of the thread. Though what I'm saying in essense is that you should let your wife know that you are in stages of learning and that She should contribute to your success and not to derail you.

I am obviously learning. Still, I have sold 8-15% of my portfolio per year (for the last 3-4 years). So, I would say that I am on the right track. I would stop this immediately if it wasn't profitable. I am doing it for the money (even though it can be funny).

Ps. I used to buy and sell a lot of liquid LLLL.coms, but for me this have only resulted in small profits.

•••
But is it mandatory to dance to your wife's tunes when ever She give you an advice. Well! here in Africa; we are the home king or leader, though we tend to listning to our wives but it is not mandatory.Provided you are doing well with domain business, why must you do the business of no interest? With all your statement in this thread it seems you are doing well. Please forget about what will happen to domaining tomorrow and face today squarly, make the money you could make before the tomorrow failure as envisaged by your wife. The translation business also has its own future challenges.

Your little profits making from liquid domains is great. You know little drops of waters makes ocean, the main sense behind every business is making profits no matter how small they are provided you are not on the loss side. Just keep it up and your profit will multiply

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I can relate to this in some ways. I have had various successful online businesses for about 8-9 years now and they have been the primary income for our household for at least 7 of those years.

My wife always nags at me all the time about college and getting a "real job" whenever there was a below average month. I do have a full time job, and I have for a few years, but what do you know..she continues to let me hear it if there's a down month for the 'side income' she loves and counts on to pay for her college bills lol.

Last edited:
•••
I can relate to this in some ways. I have had various successful online businesses for about 8-9 years now and they have been the primary income for our household for at least 7 of those years. My wife always nags at me all the time about college and getting a "real job" whenever there was a below average month. I do have a full time job, and I have for a few years, but what do you know..she continues to let me hear it if there's a down month lol.

Today, many young guys make their living from their blogs, YouTube channels and Instagram. Some even get filthy rich from this, such as my fellow countryman 'pewdiepie' as an example.

Some people just don't get this. 15 years ago, I told everyone that I'm moving to Asia and live from working online. Some people said that that is impossible, but I'm still here.

My wife's parents are hard working farmers. They do not even watch TV (except some news), so I guess that that matters. Growing rice and sugar canes VS selling digital assets are two different worlds.

•••
Today, many young guys make their living from their blogs, YouTube channels and Instagram. Some even get filthy rich from this, such as my fellow countryman 'pewdiepie' as an example.

Some people just don't get this. 15 years ago, I told everyone that I'm moving to Asia and live from working online. Some people said that that is impossible, but I'm still here.

My wife's parents are hard working farmers. They do not even watch TV (except some news), so I guess that that matters. Growing rice and sugar canes VS selling digital assets are two different worlds.

Interesting..I'll be moving out of the country late next year to where my wife is from. I don't want to go into specifics, but $1k USD per month would be considered a solid living there, and $1.5-2k USD per month would be considered a ton. People really overlook the power and freedom living somewhere else can provide.

I have had runs where I made TONS online, but they've only lasted for a few months at a time. It's like you said, not everyone gets filthy rich. It's more so about the long term game for me with them.

•••
Where you went wrong is the only hobby your allowed to have is her.

•••
•••
Hobbies can be very rewarding. You def don't have to do this anywhere near full time to make some cash.

•••
Stay unmarried and move to Vegas :)

•••
Just keep working smart and hard and have a vision to work towards. My family sees it as a hobby too but, what matters most is that i believe in what I'm doing, in my dream. It's your dream. Sometimes it takes time for people to buy into it.. but whether they do or not-it's your dream.

Secondly, domaining in and of itself can seem risky, and not dependable like a 9 to 5 job, to many. You are not guaranteed a check every two weeks or every friday. The world has fed people to think a regular job is the only way. That's why they are only a few people with successful startups... People are afraid or don't believe they can create their own income or brand. They are trained to join an established bran and sit at a desk their whole life or sweep the floor for money. If you don't do that, then they think you are not working.

Work smart and hard and creative until you can make a living from it. I see myself as much more than a domainer.

•••
it took a while, but now she see's it as a profitable hobby and even offers her opinion here and there - mostly to critique potential domains.

•••
Just keep working smart and hard and have a vision to work towards. My family sees it as a hobby too but, what matters most is that i believe in what I'm doing, in my dream. It's your dream. Sometimes it takes time for people to buy into it.. but whether they do or not-it's your dream.

Secondly, domaining in and of itself can seem risky, and not dependable like a 9 to 5 job, to many. You are not guaranteed a check every two weeks or every friday. The world has fed people to think a regular job is the only way. That's why they are only a few people with successful startups... People are afraid or don't believe they can create their own income or brand. They are trained to join an established bran and sit at a desk their whole life or sweep the floor for money. If you don't do that, then they think you are not working.

Work smart and hard and creative until you can make a living from it. I see myself as much more than a domainer.
I like your vision!(y)

•••
Well, you're doing one thing that many domainers are not, and that's making a decent profit.

You say you're contributing towards half of the income, if that's been regular, where is the problem?

Obviously, you're in business and months can be different but hopefully your business is growing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back