IT.COM

DesktopCatcher software

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Paul123

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone.

Just interested to hear if anyone has had any experience of software you can buy for drop catching. With drop catchers all allowing multiple back orders and then going to auction, it makes sense to buy the software if it works ? The cost is around $200 which is a good investment if it catches a few good domains. Maybe it's worth buying a few different software packages to stand a better chance of catching a good domain ?

Any thoughts please ?

Best,
Paul

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The way I made thousands with DesktopCatcher was by catching domains and selling them for more. It's called DOMAINING.

Anyway, I think it's honorable to call wrong-doing out, but that's not what you're doing here.

•••
I cannot help myself but respond to this. This software is a gem, I bought 2 licences, I have had a few discussions with Andrew, who is honest and cannot seem to help people enough.

AEProgram you don't use or own the software and you're the crap you're posting without any foundation, the word troll springs to mind.

I have 2 licences, best money I've spent I am more than delighted with it, oh and it's been updated 5 times this year alone btw but you wouldn't know that because you don't own it so you're trolling and making a fool out of yourself at the same time.

What you make yourself out to be is a self obsessed jackass who wants to force their opinion onto everyone. There are no false claims to the software, show me where on the website it claims it will beat the likes of namebright, pheenix etc and you can't sell the software to other people, so again, you're wrong. I'd do some research, gather some facts, like normal people do before I posted the crap you're posting. Funny you're the only person I've seen moaning about it and you don't even own it, says it all right there.

•••
Anyway, all someone needs to do is go to the sites homepage and see the names the software recently caught, I think that is the most honest part of the site and that I hope will tell even the hangreg addicted domain gamblers what this software can or cant do.

Curious to hear your comment about the 2 names I gave.

You keep asking for proofs, and when I give some, you talk about something else in the following posts. Don't you want to comment on the answers I gave you? Or are you of bad faith and won't admit they are valuable ?

•••
This software will not beat a drop catching registrar that is after a domain.

Andrew never made this claim. What are you talking about.

Give it up, you are clearly in the wrong here.

Those of us commenting about the software are users of this software.

You are not - end of discussion!

•••
AEProgram you're hilarious , I wouldn't want you banned your meltdown is too funny for that. I wouldn't trust a fool like you by posting a domain name you'd probably spam it for spite, you seem unbalanced to me. I will forget all the crap you've written but there is one phrase you've come up with, which I will call you
"hangreg addicted domain gambler" .

Just to add I initially bought it for the same reason Bram C and Cdomains have, to save time, set and forget. Anything it catches for me I see as a bonus and I often get those bonuses. If you actually owned the software you might be in a position to say something about it but to slate something you have no experience with, for which there are no negative comments I have seen other than yours. I guess the people who bought it knew what they were buying and it did exactly what it was expected to do.

I look forward to your next reply to keep us all entertained ...

Last edited:
•••
post the names you caught with this software, lets hear it, you talk big lets hear them.
Well you can look at the list of the sold domains in my SEO domain shop and i think roughly a half of them was bought with the Andrew's software. The names are masked in the list for obvious reasons but you can see them by their numbers at archive.org if you like. All regged for regfee. Sold mostly for $25-100. You see how many thousands the single license of this software has earned to me in a few months? So now you better shut up Mister.

•••
DC is a good software and the support is great. I bought it years ago.

I have now a partnership with snapnames as i'm buying a lot of domains but i still continue to use DC when i only have regfee for budget.

•••
I have bought the program recently and i caught a good domain. I need to catch a few more to recover the initial investment.

Keep in mind that you have to add some funds in each registrar account, otherwise the API cannot register the domain. The support is one of the the best i had for a digital product.

I will come back with a review.

•••
My guess is there are many users (like me) who use Desktop Catcher for niche catching, especially ccTLDs and ngTLDs which NameSilo doesn't do. For that NameSilo has really limited use, if the drop goes past 12:15 or if you want more than COM and NET. Personally, I now prefer using the registrars that don't have the restrictions like Dynadot and RRPProxy so I can pare down my pre-funding.

@wayne wooldridge - You'd for sure have some interest anyway, methinks a good idea to start your own thread : thumbs up :

•••
The price of the software were for years between $100 and $200 I dont remember, support and updates were good. Now it's $70 / month.

Not sure, I think 1 or maybe 2 registrars could be enough for 99% of your customers.

Yes but to me it's a completely different offer.

Dont you think it will be different with a $70 / month lease or with autobackorder ?
To me autobackorder and desktopcatcher are suitable for certain type of domains, this is why many customers requested money back.

Why will you continue to develop it as you'll not sell anymore licences ?
Backordering using a php script is much easy for maintenance than a windows a software. And the power will be exactly the same.

The previous business model hinder the growth of the software. This is why Andy, the original developer decided to sold it, because it is not developing further this way. And he made great work building the software and is famous of his excellent customer support. But domaining is a business, so it has to grow and make money at the end. DesktopCatcher users catch ten thousands domains a year, and while I am not saying that these are the top dropping domains, it is one of the most important, still less known player of the dropcatching business. So we are working hard to get it to a level it deserves.

We sell monthly licences and develop the software for our past users and current and future subscribers, it is that simple. I don't think that we will go back to one time fee model but who knows, nothing is unchangeable. Domainers have to subscribe for so many things, I don't feel this is something ridiculous to subscribe for a software to catch domains. Those who can make profit from it enjoy their subscriptions, those who can't, cancel their subscription. It is that easy.

If you are worrying what happens with those who bought the software once in the past, I can say that we have no plans to force original customers to pay monthly fee or success fee, you can use it in the future without restrictions and will get the free updates.

You are only interested in the com/net and Dynadot part of this business, for those who are looking for other extensions, all the other registrars are needed. And this is where DesktopCatcher can be really competitive and the best choice. There are many extensions where there are no dropcatching services available and DesktopCatcher can catch even the best domains in those extensions.

•••
Do you offer any trial or any demo to see it in action? I'm not really tech guy so I'd like to see what's inside.

I can tell you this is excellent software, but you will only catch domains not targeted by the drop catchers.

This includes private parties running their own drop catching systems.

You will not catch any great domains because these are all picked up by the big dropcatching

services - mostly Dropcatch/com.

This is not because of the software.

As I said above, the software does the best job it can against the big guys.

There are also limitations with the registrars used by the software.

Again, this has nothing to do with the quality of the software itself.

Overall, this is a great little program if you want to grab mediocre domains without having to try and

hand reg them during or just after the drop.

•••
•••
Hi everyone.

Just interested to hear if anyone has had any experience with software you can buy for drop catching. With drop catchers all allowing multiple backorders and then going to auction, it makes sense to buy the software if it works? The cost is around $200 which is a good investment if it catches a few good domains. Maybe it's worth buying a few different software packages to stand a better chance of catching a good domain?

Any thoughts, please?

Best,
Paul
I recently started to use desktop checker software. I bought it at a discount and I found it very helpful to use.

•••
So 4 years ago I posted that this software stands no chance in catching a domain that a registrar is after but it could be good to catch things that others might be trying to catch using some api from dyna, ns etc. I was attacked 4 years ago for saying this.

Just curious if anyone in the past 4 years has any proof (what I asked then) that a known name that registrars where after got caught by this? Its a rhetorical question, I just like how people attacked me back then and nobody did the right thing to do and stand up and speak some truth on this matter.

Whoever is the new owner, I urge you to not engage in deception, the software has its place, but the prior owner made posts that were very misleading in my opinion.

PS on any given day there are 10+ names many people are after (you can see it from the NJ list etc). Not once is it caught by some random guy. Its mostly DC/SN maybe some other registrar (rare) but never by someone we don't recognize.

Yes, the software is basically for beating handcatchers and API users (at least at the moment), it is absolutely a valid opinion. So if I were here that time, I would defend your standpoint. Thus, most of the successful users use it for non-com domains, where backorders can be much more expensive than the reg fee or there is no backorder service at all.

Although sometimes we got emails that the domain was ordered on Namejet, Park.io etc and it was caught by DesktopCatcher, it is a rare and unexpected situation. This will change somewhat in the future with our API designed for DesktopCatcher.

•••
We contacted Porkbun earlier but they do not plan to open their API for dropcatchers.

As for the development of our own API. We are working on Verisign dropcatching code but it is so extremely difficult to beat DropCatch/Namejet for even the lowest quality domain that we are a bit stuck. We can beat registrar APIs but we are sure that our users would be only happy if we could beat DropCatch sometimes. We target 1% success rate against the big ones to publish our API in DesktopCatcher but not reached this level yet.

•••
Hello,
I've been using DesktopCatcher since May, and I can only recommend it.

So far I caught about 40 domains: a few 2 words .COM / a lot of 2 words .NET

It's a good tool to catch "small" domains with low competition but it can't compete with Pheenix : I ran 6 catches ordering at Pheenix at the same time to maximize my chances => all were caught by Pheenix.

•••
Andrew. I am not a 'techie' in anyway. Quite the opp !

If I PM you with my email address do you have a users guide (for dummies) you could forward to me ?

Best,
Paul

Definitely Paul! :) Just send me your email and I'll send that over. Also, I'm always available if any questions or issues arise. Just PM me, email me, or hit me up on Skype!

•••
DynaDot may be an IP address issue?

NameSilo; you do need to prefund. I had to contact their support about this first time round.

•••
@Cdomains I pre-fund my NameSilo accounts with PayPal. And I always uncheck the box that (I think) tries to opt you in to automatic funding. So far, NameSilo has never automatically re-filled my pre-fund. But you've got to be careful because I think they try to sneakily opt you in with that default "checked" box when paying with Paypal.
That sneaky little pre-ticked opt-in box was recently removed:) Now it’s just a regular paypal button.

•••
phenomenal customer support

I agree. Always goes out of his way to help you. He will answer all your questions and give you all the help you need, but you wouldn't know it by looking at this thread because he gives awesome support via PM.

The software is really good, but the competition is quite fierce for the good names, so don't expect to catch the really awesome names with this software.

This is not the fault of the software, just an indication of how competitive it is for really good names.

•••
•••
@catchnames - IN is available at - RRPProxy US$18, Gandi US$7.75 (special, reg price $15.50) ResellerClub this month is US$2.99 (see my sig) HOWEVER ResellerClub has an API limit, which might be fine for IN depending on the length of the drop window

There may be more that's who I know out of the registrars I use - No IN at eNom, DynaDot, NameSilo

I have not personally tried to catch IN yet, do they publish a dropping list? I'd be happy to test it with RC

•••
Your software will never be able to outrun a registrar. Next you will tell us that dropcatch uses your software.

I am not selling anything here, you are, I would like anyone to share one domain that we know registrars went after, decent name that your software caught, it will never happen.

You wrote a bunch of BS to try to make it appear to people you know something special. In my opinion Your software cannot catch and will not catch domains registrars are after, stop defrauding the public with misinformation NOW!

You remind me of people who peddle forex software claiming they can play with the big boys once they own it.

You started off honest, and I agreed the software has its place for domains registrars are not after. Now you are just blatantly using deception to give people false hope. SHAME ON YOU!

As you can see in the reply above, there are users out there whom have both TESTED and BEATEN backorders against registrars in the past. People have tested against themselves just to see what type of results may arise! @HDmarketing is just one member who has shared this info with me, but guess what? I've heard it from numerous other users in the past as well.

If you read my posts, my website...etc. then one thing you will notice is that I DO NOT promote this. There are plenty of reviews across this forum, my website, and other forums that clearly explain what you should ideally use the software for! I make NO guarantee that you will beat any type of registrar or backorder outlet with this software. If anything I tell those looking to beat backorder outlets they should not use the software with that kind of expectation. It's meant to ease the process of hand registering, and that's pretty much what it's always been advertised as. If you have any further luck past that then it's great and I always love hearing stories like that. Has this type of thing happened in the past? YES, but with less competitive names and against less competitive outlets such as BackorderZone, DynaDot, and I even heard Pheenix late last year. Is it something that I would count on or go around advertising to people? NO. So... as you say, it will never happen? I've reached out to other users this has happened with in the past as well to see if they would care to share their experience here with us.

Once again, I don't think you really have that much experience in this. You haven't bought the software, used it, tested against it, or anything of that nature. But guess what, other users have.

If you want to sit and compare me to some Forex peddler that claims my software can beat the big boys then you obviously haven't read the website, the reviews in forum posts..etc. What have you been doing in this thread the whole time? Please tell me where I defrauded people. Where did I say something that was inaccurate? I think if you look at the reviews and talk to people who use the software you would find I try to be as honest and down to earth as possible.

Nowhere do I claim backorder outlets or registrars use my drop catching software (I even answered someones question like that a long time ago here). But, guess who probably has a better idea on how their system actually works between the two of us? I started off honest and have remained honest the entire time. If a registrar or backorder outlet isn't putting much attention onto a name then it would certainly be possible it could be beaten. I know because people have told me this in the past. You said it could never be done even if "If every computer in the world ran one of these desktop catching software and they tried to catch a certain name" then "the registrar will still beat it with just one thread." - Once again, your statement was 100% inaccurate.

I'm not a liar, you're just someone who doesn't know what they are really talking about and is trying to put down something you've never tried or tested. Are you going to setup a registrar and run it against all of us (certainly not 1 computer in the entire world) on "1 thread" to test your theory out? lol.. You are trying to give a review or a testimonial based on what you think you know, but have never tried. Honestly, I think you owe me and all the readers inside this thread an apology, heh...

•••
I beat Backorderzone once with a handreg(no script). One of my Dynadot backorders lost against of one their API customers.

So from time to time one can beat the smaller backorder services but I think it's often not because of skills or the technology one uses but because of the other service failing.

I don't think it happens often. I tried to beat Dynadot with their own API many times. I know others trying the same dozens of times. It didn't work out.

Snapnames/Dropcatch. No way.

Last edited:
•••
First he says every computer in the world could run this software and not beat a registrar who was running "on just 1 thread".. Then people came in and said they've beaten DynaDot, Pheenix, and have even HAND REGISTERED faster than BackorderZone before. Do you still think a registrar "on just 1 thread" could beat every computer "in the world" using DesktopCatcher? Are you really sure about that? Personally, I don't think it's that cut & dry! Like @HDmarketing said, you need to re-read your initial post and the way you came off! You call me a liar, but can't point out any lies which I've told. Other users have expressed themselves in this thread and said exactly the opposite. You said it could never beat a registrar "even on 1 thread" and I told you that people have beaten registrars in the past.

The names of the registrars or backorder outlets don't really play any importance here. I'm not telling people to chase backordered names with expectations of catching them! Honestly, whether it's DynaDot, Pheenix, DropCatch, NameJet, or SnapNames - I don't guarantee you will beat ANY OF THEM! If anything I would advise staying away from them for the best success. The biggest backorder outlets would always be a waste of time, and I've said that before. Some speculate a registrar or backorder outlet being down, some may say it's because the name didn't have many backorder requests so the registrar/outlet didn't put much focus on it..None of us would really know - unless you're in the company!

Your cut & dry thinking is pretty bad. I doubt you know how registrars actually work with the registries. You don't know the important protocols, the limits, or likely anything else. I don't know what you mean about scare you. I'm not threatening you or anything. I have definitely chased what I would consider "quality" names in the past. Caught and pushed many of them as well. Are you going to make me go out and get more people to back me up on that now too? lol :P

INSTEAD of sticking to honest and telling people that yes, use this software to compete with names that are not being hunted by the big boy registrars, you decide to just casually hint that yup, your software can catch anything.

Where have I casually hinted my software can beat the big boys? Heck, where have I claimed my software can even beat the little boys aside from when I was explaining it to you? I just explained it in my previous post that I do NOT tell people it can catch anything. LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS POSTS IN THIS THREAD. 1 OF THEM WAS RIGHT BEFORE YOUR POST!
https://www.namepros.com/threads/desktopcatcher-software.873819/page-3#post-5460053
https://www.namepros.com/threads/desktopcatcher-software.873819/page-3#post-5469341
https://www.namepros.com/threads/desktopcatcher-software.873819/page-2#post-5373952

Holy crap. Your responses really do speak for themselves! I think anyone really interested can read this thread and make a solid decision for themselves. As @golan and others have said, I'm done with you now and am open to helping anyone who has real questions, testimonials, issues..etc. I'd like to give a big thanks to the users who came in to share their own experiences. If you don't want to take it from me (the creator), then take it from other people who HAVE bought it, used it, tested it, and did whatever they wanted to try and find what works best for them (or what does not). Just don't go by what someone who has never even used it says.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back