NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
THIS COULD MEAN BANKRUPTCY FOR TONS OF DOMAINERS AND A TON MORE COMPETITION ONLINE!

NEW YORK — Amazon.com wants ".joy," Google wants ".love" and L'Oreal wants ".beauty."

Big brands are behind hundreds of proposals for new Internet addresses, including scores for generic terms such as "cruise," ".kids" and ".tires."

If approved, Amazon could use ".author" in an attempt to dominate online bookselling, while Google could use ".love" to collect registration fees from its rivals.

Amazon and Google also are vying for ".app" and ".music," while the wine company Gallo Vineyards Inc. wants ".barefoot."

It's all part of the largest expansion of the Internet address system since its creation in the 1980s, a process likely to cause headaches for some companies while creating vast opportunities for others.

The organization in charge of Internet addresses, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, announced the proposals for Internet suffixes Wednesday. A suffix is the ".com" part in a domain name.

The bids now go through a review that could take months or years. Up to 1,000 suffixes could be added each year.

There were 1,930 proposals for 1,409 different suffixes. The bulk of proposals that met the May 30 deadline came from North America and Europe. About 100 were for suffixes in non-English characters, including Chinese, Arabic and Thai.

From a technical standpoint, the names let Internet-connected computers know where to send email and locate websites. But they've come to mean much more. For Amazon.com Inc., for instance, the domain name is the heart of the company, not just an address.

A new suffix could be used to identify sites that have a certain level of security protection. It could be used to create online neighborhoods of businesses affiliated with a geographic area or an industry. French cosmetics giant L'Oreal, for instance, proposed ".beauty" as a home for beauty products and general information on personal beauty.

"The Internet is about to change forever," ICANN CEO Rod Beckstrom declared. "We're standing at the cusp of a new era of online innovation, innovation that means new businesses, new marketing tools, new jobs, new ways to link communities and share information."

But there's a question of how useful the new names will be. Alternatives to ".com" introduced over the past decade have had mixed success. These days, Internet users often find websites not by typing in the address but by using a search engine. And with mobile devices getting more popular, people are using apps to bypass Web browsers entirely.

Many businesses worry that they'll have to police the Internet for addresses that misuse their brands, in many cases paying to register names simply to keep them away from others. It was one thing having some 300 suffixes; it's another to have thousands.

"One thing that's going to occur is a lot of money is going to get sucked out of the ecosystem," said Lauren Weinstein, co-founder of People For Internet Responsibility and a strong critic of ICANN. "The cost is billions and billions of dollars with no value returned to people and an enormous capacity for confusion."

One worry is that an expansion will mean more addresses available to scam artists who use similar-sounding names such as "Amazom" rather than "Amazon" to trick people into giving passwords and credit card information.

The public now has 60 days to comment on the proposals. There's also a seven-month window for filing objections, including claims of trademark violation.

Of the 1,930 proposals, 1,179 were unique and 751 were for 230 different suffixes. ICANN will hold an auction if competing bidders cannot reach a compromise. Most of the duplicate bids were for generic names, though the Guardian newspaper and The Guardian Life Insurance Co. both sought ".guardian."

Bidders had to pay $185,000 per proposal. If approved, each suffix would cost at least $25,000 a year to maintain, with a 10-year commitment required. By comparison, a personal address with a common suffix such as ".com" usually costs less than $10 a year.

ICANN has received some $350 million in application fees. The money will be used to set up the system, review applications and make sure parties do what they have promised once the suffix is operational. Some of the money will be set aside to cover potential lawsuits from unsuccessful applicants and others.

Some of the proposals are for suffixes to be reserved for in-house use. Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp., for instance, plan to restrict ".yahoo and ".microsoft" to their sites or affiliates, while keeping their current names under ".com." If Google Inc. wins its bid for ".search," the search leader won't let rivals use it.

But there are hundreds of proposals for generic names that the public would be able to buy names under – for $10 or thousands depending on the suffix. Some are coming from entrepreneurs or businesses that specialize in domain names.

Others are from big technology companies. That means Google, for instance, could charge its fiercest rivals for rights to "Microsoft.love," "Facebook.love" and "Apple.love." Google declined comment.

Amazon has bids for 76 names, many related to businesses the online bookseller now dominates or might want to. Besides ".book" and ".author," Amazon is seeking ".joy."

That worries Stephen Ewart, marketing manager of Names.co.uk, a domain name reseller that stands to gain from registrations under new suffixes, including ".joy" if it is approved.

"Once you own these spaces, you can write your own terms and conditions," he says. "Big brands can decide who can be there and decide what can be put in that space. It's a bit cynical to think someone can be locked out of joy."

"Do we want the likes of Amazon owning joy?" he asks.

Amazon declined comment.

Amazon and Google are among 13 bidders for ".app." Both companies operate stores for distributing apps for mobile devices running Google's Android system. That could shut out Apple Inc. and its rival iPhone and iPad devices.

While Google applied for 101 suffixes, Apple sought only one, ".apple." EBay Inc. and Facebook Inc. didn't propose for any. It was Amazon that bid for ".like" – the button on Facebook that lets users recommend links and brands to friends.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...mong-suf_n_1592839.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
im not acting - im saying the analogy isnt anywhere near relevant. we're not talking about morals here. im unsure how to explain any clearer how they're different topics.

I'll take that at face value and lend a hand, here.

Okay, so let's say you have a chance to register a really great domain right now, but two are dropping tomorrow that you might want, too. You can't get all three on your current budget.

Do you wait and see if you get the drops, or do you seize the moment and grab that really great domain that's available until someone else gets it?

Some might say...

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Does that confuse you because birds have nothing to do with domaining?

•••
You don't need a generic. Like I said, get creative. Can't get dating.com? Zoosk. Can't get jobs.com. Monster. Or do you think it's better to try to build on dating.biz? Anybody want to tell me the last .biz merchant you bought something from online? You don't think those companies considered those other available global extensions? And then ultimately decided to get creative and still get a .com. Why do you think that is if the extension doesn't matter?

i agree, thats how it is today even after 10+ years of a handful of new TLD's rolled out.

but this isnt a handful anymore. this is the flood gates of possibly thousands. im not making an exact prediction on how much the public awareness will shift that other TLD's exist (and start being used), but it will be more than right now. even if its 1 percent more, that means the other side isnt 100% correct. there are shades of grey out there danielsons..

never said .com isnt preferred, but you can get more memorable shorter domains in other TLD's sometimes for registration fee... and rolling out this many TLD's with this many different companies could create some sort of shift in public awareness that hasnt happened with only a handful rolled out. how much awareness? who knows.

I'll take that at face value and lend a hand, here.

Okay, so let's say you have a chance to register a really great domain right now, but two are dropping tomorrow that you might want, too.

Do you wait and see if you get the drops, or do you seize the moment and grab that really great domain that's available until someone else gets it?

Some might say...

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Does that confuse you because birds have nothing to do with domaining?

still confused with nearly all your posts man, sorry.. maybe its just me.

Last edited:
•••
•••
"but this isnt a handful anymore. this is the flood gates of possibly thousands."

That's not a good thing. Which would be easier for you. I say 12 random numbers and letters and asked you to repeat them to me. Then I say 400 random numbers and letters and ask the same thing. It's hard enough for people to remember things, you want to keep it simple, the ole KISS. With a .com, the only thing people have to remember it what goes before it. Now they need to remember before and after. Again, there is a reason why most major businesses didn't go for the already available extensions. It'll be the same reason with these new ones. Try to throw that much change at people, they'll throw it right back.

"and rolling out this many TLD's with this many different companies could create some sort of shift in public awareness"

Not awareness, confusion. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
•••
It'll be funny to watch, at least.

"In internet news today, the owner of BigDating.com filed suit against the owners of BigDating.love, BigDating.kiss, BigDating.sweet, BigDating.hot, BigDating.hug, BigDating.xxx, BigDating.meet, BigDating.hold, BigDating.date, BigDating.dating, BigDating.marriage, BigDating.wed, BigDating.sex, BigDating.france, BigDating.wink, BigDating.smile, BigDating.big, BigDating.dot...

...and BigDating.highfibanjostrings."

•••
"but this isnt a handful anymore. this is the flood gates of possibly thousands."

That's not a good thing. Which would be easier for you. I say 12 random numbers and letters and asked you to repeat them to me. Then I say 400 random numbers and letters and ask the same thing. It's hard enough for people to remember things, you want to keep it simple, the ole KISS. With a .com, the only thing people have to remember it what goes before it. Now they need to remember before and after. Again, there is a reason why most major businesses didn't go for the already available extensions. It'll be the same reason with these new ones. Try to throw that much change at people, they'll throw it right back.

"and rolling out this many TLD's with this many different companies could create some sort of shift in public awareness"

And all that confusion brings the .com of the name super duper traffic heheheheh, I think i am liking this idea after all, Crap loads of tier 1 traffic to our .coms, In exchange for having to put up with greedy idiots that spent their last dime on purchasing these extensions. I am warming up to this idea pretty well now.

I hope ICANN lets all those new extensions in. .com will reap the benefits with truck loads of excellent traffic.

•••
The big money will be for the owners of domains like mail.com, shop.com, games.com, etc.

Not that they need the extra traffic! XD

The reason being that with extensions like .google, we may see Google moving their services to the new tlds (maybe)... which would probably be mail.google, shop.google, and so on. (Admittedly I don't think they'll actually take the risk.)

Cue all the mistypes and confusion and that trip to search.google ends at search.com

Now multiply that by all the other vanity names companies might move some of their specific services to - search.yahoo, search.aol, etc.

Last edited:
•••
And all that confusion brings the .com of the name super duper traffic heheheheh, I think i am liking this idea after all, Crap loads of tier 1 traffic to our .coms, In exchange for having to put up with greedy idiots that spent their last dime on purchasing these extensions. I am warming up to this idea pretty well now.

I hope ICANN lets all those new extensions in. .com will reap the benefits with truck loads of excellent traffic.
Yep. Somebody out there will probably try to build on something like boston.attorney, sending traffic to bostonattorney.com and then eventually have an ah damn moment, what the hell did I do. So those with keyword(newextension).com should see benefit from all of this.

•••
Yep. Somebody out there will probably try to build on something like boston.attorney, sending traffic to bostonattorney.com and then eventually have an ah damn moment, what the hell did I do. So those with keyword(newextension).com should see benefit from all of this.

All this could be a huge blessing in disguise for .com owners.

While the owner of travel.web or whatever is spending butt loads of money to market their name. The .com owner is sitting back receiving all the .web owners traffic. Damn near like squatting, But totally legal hehehehehehe. I am really liking this now B-)

•••

words are much easier to remember than numbers - thats why people continue to register longer .com's

major businesses already exist, why rebrand yourself with a zillion different extensions..thats silly. new business are created everyday. again, you're looking at whats normal today, right now, a few years from now... thats not the future and i think many people are are trying to predict things way too exact and absolute like the other poster noted.

yep, there will be confusion too - and there will be money to be made off that by certain people. those are some of the shades of grey.

All this could be a huge blessing in disguise for .com owners.

While the owner of travel.web or whatever is spending butt loads of money to market their name. The .com owner is sitting back receiving all the .web owners traffic. Damn near like squatting, But totally legal hehehehehehe. I am really liking this now B-)

but you seem to be only looking at this from a domainers perspective and how you will benefit. thats cool and everything but you realize the person marketing the other domain will still be in business and possibly making money too. i hope .com owners benefit somehow, they most likely will. this is not a zero sum game though and it never will be.

Last edited:
•••
words are much easier to remember than numbers - thats why people continue to register longer .com's

major businesses already exist, why rebrand yourself with a zillion different extensions..thats silly. new business are created everyday. again, you're looking at whats normal today, right now, a few years from now... thats not the future and i think many people are are trying to predict things way too exact and absolute like the other poster noted.

yep, there will be confusion too - and there will be money to be made off that by certain people. those are some of the shades of grey.

I figure it like this, mjnels

There has always been huge hype when a new extension is on pre order and when it first touches the registers market place, Then you have the new threads of how great these extensions will be, How so and so got Car.???

It goes on for a while, Yes, Some people will make nice sales at the beginning, Most of those being the people who bought the new extensions to begin with, Them trying to spark a huge buyers market for the extensions they spent their life savings on.

Then comes the reality. The big blowout as usual.

There will be vigorous buying and selling amongst domainers as usual,Flipping names will be like selling candy bars, That only domainer to domainer, Because the average web user will not even acknowledge these new extensions, The least path of resistance are the keywords. The average web user will continue to use the least path of resistance. That being what they have learned to use for the last twenty years, That being .com and Google search.

Then all these extensions will be quietly tucked in at the registry, Just as most of all the others are today. And we will wait for the big domain name companies to come up with their next big idea, Oh wait. Some of of those companies wont exist, They spent all there money buying into .business or what ever.

It's just another year, But this is big time money they are putting out trying to acquire the extensions they want. I wonder how it will feel going from being worth a few million to a 600sqft one bedroom apartment for these investors.

•••

why are they greedy idiots? because they want to make money from domains like you?

I figure it like this, mjnels

There has always been huge hype when a new extension is on pre order and when it first touches the registers market place, Then you have the new threads of how great these extensions will be, How so and so got Car.???

It goes on for a while, Yes, Some people will make nice sales at the beginning, Most of those being the people who bought the new extensions to begin with, Them trying to spark a huge buyers market for the extensions they spent their life savings on.

Then comes the reality. The big blowout as usual.

There will be vigorous buying and selling amongst domainers as usual,Flipping names will be like selling candy bars, That only domainer to domainer, Because the average web user will not even acknowledge these new extensions, The least path of resistance are the keywords. The average web user will continue to use the least path of resistance. That being what they have learned to use for the last twenty years, That being .com and Google search.

Then all these extensions will be quietly tucked in at the registry, Just as most of all the others are today. And we will wait for the big domain name companies to come up with their next big idea, Oh wait. Some of of those companies wont exist, They spent all there money buying into .business or what ever.

It's just another year, But this is big time money they are putting out trying to acquire the extensions they want. I wonde how it will feel going from being worth a few million to a 600sqft apartment for these investors.

i see, so you're all about the plight of the common business man losing money. thats ironic considering you were just talking about benefiting from somebody elses advertising work, having the traffic from the new TLD's leak to the .com's... which is of course true, and not the .com owners fault so why not benefit. and of course some of these companies wont exist - thats capitalism dude.

its just very interesting how hostile and absolute everyone is, thats all.

•••
why are they greedy idiots? because they want to make money from domains like you?

i see, so you're all about the plight of the common business man losing money. thats ironic considering you were just talking about benefiting from somebody elses advertising work, having the traffic from the new TLD's leak to the .com's... which is of course true, and not the .com owners fault so why not benefit..

its just very interesting how hostile and absolute everyone is, thats all.

I don't fault them at all for wanting to make money, We all want to make money.

It goes beyond wanting to make money as i see it personally.

They want ALL the money, They have laid all there cards on the table to make ALL the money. That is what is going to get them in the end, Greed behind money.

There is also recourse against them, A name per say a .com that is developed in it's niche. They take the same name with a different extension and develop on top of the .com - .net - .org and so on of that name. Then comes butt loads of UDRPs

But money is power right?? They can just buy their way right through all the intangibles, UDRP and ect.

I hope this is not the case. It could end up being that way, But i certainly hope not.

Ideally it would be far better if they fund out on their investments and leave the industry. Then the wealth can be spread as it should be.

Domaining has become a sort of monopolized industry IMO. Not a good thing IMO

Last edited:
•••
You're saying it's impossible for one side of any issue to be 100% correct?

What about "The World is Round"? The people who believed that and the people who believed it was flat both had certain percentages of correctness?

Was it a gray area?

i just re-read this post and had to laugh. again, we're not discussing whether the sky is blue or the grass being green so let me re-phrase this for everybody. business is not a zero sum game. stated differently, while most people lose money with these new TLD's, some will profit - THAT is the grey area.

So your stance on, say, child soldiers and rape would be "Eh, there's no right and wrong. It's all up for debate"??

oh. my. god. WHAT?

Oxygen supports human life.

Who here is not part of that concensus? Anyone? Bueller?

i hope now that ive clarified we're talking about business and not proven scientific facts which there is no room for debate.

If someone says nobody is 100% correct about anything, that's untrue.

To illustrate that, I say "Peanutbutter is sold as food. Do you disagree?"

Obviously this seems to have little relation to the issue, but regardless the statement is 100% correct and thusly the misconception that "nothing is ever right!!!" is easily and permanently disproven.

:wave:

When I say people by and large prefer .com, it's 100% true.

it is, but you added the phrase "by and large" here.. whats that leave room for? shades of grey! yes its the minority, but thats the point.

I don't fault them at all for wanting to make money, We all want to make money.

It goes beyond wanting to make money as i see it personally.

They want ALL the money, They have laid all there cards on the table to make ALL the money. That is what is going to get them in the end, Greed behind money.

There is also recourse against them, A name per say a .com that is developed in it's niche. They take the same name with a different extension and develop on top of the .com - .net - .org and so on of that name. Then comes butt loads of UDRPs

But money is power right?? They can just buy their way right through all the intangibles, UDRP and ect.

I hope this is not the case. It could end up being that way, But i certainly hope not.

Ideally it would be far better if they fund out on their investments and leave the industry. Then the wealth can be spread as it should be.

see i like this post, it has a different theme than the last few. it asks more questions rather than knowing all the answers.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone here who's on the fence, it should be noted that people who think one tld is just as good as another are too insulated or ignore people who aren't domainers/speculators/whatever.

The public by and large regards ".com" as THE domain name extension.

It is NOT fake inflating by domain sellers. When's the last time you saw a major motion picture with a .org or .net address? When's the last time you saw a movie where someone onscreen went to a website and it WASN'T a .com ?

Quite an insulated USA centric perspective.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Tell that to folks like Schwartz :hehe:

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

business is not a zero sum game.

Kinda sad that this even needs stating

•••
I heard there are only going to be two extensions very soon.

.Got .cha

•••
•••
.COM and the like aren't going anywhere - will remain relevant, but some points to consider regarding vanity TLDs:

Firstly, it's important to note, unlike legacy gTLDs (.com, .net, .org, and .info, in particular) that many vanity TLDs, even if not explicitly stated, are in effect restricted TLDs - not just in 2nd level registration, but also in regards to use - .biz and .xxx are prime examples. That's a huge contrast that can't be ignored - 2nd level domain registrants have far more flexibility and rights in legacy TLDs.

* Vanity TLD holders possess domains. Typical domain registrants don't possess their domains, the registry, and by extension, the registrar does. While that may seem a play on semantics, the point is vanity TLD holders have more clout and protection than typical domain registrants (ie. no worry of a registrar messing up / suspending their domain). Whether that ends up matter in the whole scope of things is an open question.

* Credibility. Vanity TLD holders have been vetted. One can debate how much so, but $185K+ and hefty annual fees along with tons of documentation will weed out much of the cruft. To put it another way, becoming a .com registrar is a cinch compared to what's required to become a TLD registry.

* Special privilege and preference. Will vary depending on the vanity TLD, but some, such as .bank and .store make prime candidates to being favored in web browsers (ie. special highlighted browser bar / preferred link in smart phones). Not just from a technical standpoint, but also legally, some TLDs could be preferred by law and/or contract - ie. banks being strongly encouraged to also have a domain under .bank and adult sites being forced into the .xxx (that has not yet happened, so this so-called preference may be a moot issue - still too early to say for sure).

* Coolness and marketing. This one is very debatable. If ICANN is going to allow most anything under the sun be a TLD, it's likely vanity TLDs, after a brief period of excitement, will get a reputation for being clunky, stupid, irrelevant, and redundant to existing legacy gTLDs and existing ccTLDs, which are very popular, and often highly preferred by users in many countries.

In short, 2nd level domains in legacy gTLDs aren't going away - will remain useful and sought after, but vanity TLDs change the domaining landscape and can't be ignored. To think that they won't matter is folly.

•••
@mjnels - You're a lost cause when it comes to explaining this.

I can't imagine how hilarious this must be in your day to day discussions...

Random Person: "Congratulations on the big sale, mjnels. You really hit a home run!"
mjnels: "WHAT? WHAT??? WHAT DOES BASEBALL HAVE TO DO WITH BUSINESS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! THIS MAKES NO SENSE, I HAVE TO GO."

Quite an insulated USA centric perspective.

It absolutely is not. Now you've jumped on the bandwagon of saying anything you feel because it sounds good. I could easily fire back "Typical USA-bashing" - but do you really want to go back and forth with meaningless falsehoods?

You'd have a better time selling my PoV as "English-centric", since I said nothing specific to the USA.

I helped out with a motion picture from the Philippines. Their official website address? A dot com. I have plenty of internet contacts in Canada, Europe, Asia, and of course more. I haven't seen a single personal site of theirs that was not a dot com.

Don't tell me I'm insulated - or at least you may want to try not to, since it's incorrect. :)

Playing the "Self-centered American" card just makes you look petty, with no real point to make.

Last edited:
•••
You don't need a generic. Like I said, get creative. Can't get dating.com? Zoosk. Can't get jobs.com. Monster. Or do you think it's better to try to build on dating.biz? Anybody want to tell me the last .biz merchant you bought something from online? You don't think those companies considered those other available global extensions? And then ultimately decided to get creative and still get a .com. Why do you think that is if the extension doesn't matter?

The point is zoosk was registered in 2007, back when it was still possible to register brandable names. Now there are so many cybersquatters thinking of every possible brandible name .com and squatting on it before the company can think of the name.

People will start flocking to new extensions and register
clean name or keyword. other ext

than settle for
sdsahdsauihdsaudsaidhsaudhasdiuhsaiuda.com

This process has just begun. 10 years from now there will be no namepros thread

"the official lllllllllllllllllllllllll.com thread"

because people will have moved on.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
@mjnels - You're a lost cause when it comes to explaining this.

I can't imagine how hilarious this must be in your day to day discussions...

Random Person: "Congratulations on the big sale, mjnels. You really hit a home run!"
mjnels: "WHAT? WHAT??? WHAT DOES BASEBALL HAVE TO DO WITH BUSINESS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! THIS MAKES NO SENSE, I HAVE TO GO."

It absolutely is not. Now you've jumped on the bandwagon of saying anything you feel because it sounds good. I could easily fire back "Typical USA-bashing" - but do you really want to go back and forth with meaningless falsehoods?

You'd have a better time selling my PoV as "English-centric", since I said nothing specific to the USA.

I helped out with a motion picture from the Philippines. Their official website address? A dot com. I have plenty of internet contacts in Canada, Europe, Asia, and of course more. I haven't seen a single personal site of theirs that was not a dot com.

Don't tell me I'm insulated - or at least you may want to try not to, since it's incorrect. :)

Playing the "Self-centered American" card just makes you look petty, with no real point to make.

hmmm - highly recommend you take a step back and read your own posts. so far i can understand every post in this thread besides yours. i dont even know how to respond to some of the stuff you're writing after the clear explanations ive given.

The point is zoosk was registered in 2007, back when it was still possible to register brandable names. Now there are so many cybersquatters thinking of every possible brandible name .com and squatting on it before the company can think of the name.

just so we're clear - are you meaning the word cybersquatter to have negative connotations? like you believe people shouldnt have registered Shoes.com maybe back in the dayo if they didnt have development plans? just curious..

Last edited:
•••
Nah, again get creative or read some more - http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/14/what-domains-go-daddy-and-18-others-bought-last-week/

What do you see? Here's what I'm seeing. Companies picking up decent .coms for low to mid x,xxx. All day long.

And you can find brandables all day long on the drop/reg fee as well.

Hmm domain wire eh. Domainers will only show sales that inflate the price of .coms. There are plenty of companies using other extensions as a squatter is sitting on the .com.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

just so we're clear - are you meaning the word cybersquatter to have negative connotations? like you believe people shouldnt have registered Shoes.com maybe back in the dayo if they didnt have development plans? just curious..

Well shoes.com is a generic name. There are people who register non-generic brandable thinking eventually a company will want to call themselves that. That is pre-emptive cybersquatting. They have no intent on development, just keep renewing until a company names themself that name.

•••
That is pre-emptive cybersquatting. They have no intent on development, just keep renewing until a company names themself that name.

"Pre-Emptive Cybersquatting".

By definition, registering a term before a TM exists is not cybersquatting.

Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.

Everyone knows the old Big 3 (COM/NET/ORG) are dead.

25+ years of history, awareness, credibility and usage will be instantly wiped out.

The new Big 3 will be .Ninja / .Physio / .CashBackBonus

(end sarcasm)

Last edited:
•••
Well shoes.com is a generic name. There are people who register non-generic brandable thinking eventually a company will want to call themselves that. That is pre-emptive cybersquatting. They have no intent on development, just keep renewing until a company names themself that name.

but the same would apply to Shoes.com if you have no development plans. its still just sitting on a domains waiting for a sale and maybe monetizing it meanwhile. really there is nothing wrong with that as long as you dont step on any trademarked toes. if people want to risk registering hundreds or thousands of meaningless short brandables and pay the $8 per year in the hope of getting enough sales to profit - go for it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back