Dynadot

offers Dealing with very low offers: Flat out reject or offer/counter ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NYJimbo

Domain Re-AnimatorTop Member
Impact
When dealing with a domain that you have up for BIN on a sales platform and that is priced below $1,000 and you get a pitiful offer like $50 or $100, do you find it better to just flat out reject and wait for a counter offer or to respond with a lower price than BIN ? I mean what do you find to be best response to the buyer on average.

I'm not talking about a hot or liquid domain, but something you think has value but does not look like big money.
This is also for a platform where you do not have the ability to talk to the buyer, but just do the offer/counter offer thing.

Any comments, ideas, etc appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always respond educating about the value of domain names as such

some people simply have no clue

•••
Put minimum 500 or 1k at your settings (for example, I use undeveloped for many of my domains, and I simply setup 500 minimum for all my names there, period). This eliminates fellow domain investors giving you $50 offers on your best names, you can live without that easily :)
I don't want to set a BIN on all names, I do that for decent but not uberpremium names (<= 2K or so). If you set a minimum offer amount, the other party expects that your desired price is more or less in the same range. I don't want to cap the offers we receive. On the occasion we received generous offers, well above expectations. Had we set a BIN or minimum offer amount - the other party would have been less generous.
I want to be able to assess each offer in its own context.

I always respond educating about the value of domain names as such

some people simply have no clue
Does it work ? I think end users either get it or they don't. We can't spend too much time trying to 'educate' them. They often have a budget in mind and are not ready to increase it drastically.

•••
Hi @Bob Hawkes, Yes, based on the (how to say) domain savvy the person displays in their initial message ,it will change how I respond. I try to respond in a way that is helpful to what I can guess is important to them and not try to sell them, rather offer to help, and let them tell me what they need (to close the deal). I am not a pushy sales person - really I'm not a sales person, but have been pretending to be one for a while now. hahahaha.

In this case, if the offer were within , say 65+% of my BIN, it would be a far more detailed response. Including comps, market info (if applicable), initial TM, & analytics stats (if appropriate - maybe not in a pure brandable, for example.)

I think I have a template that I had posted (on NP) sometime back. I will look for it and update (its been a while) if needed, and post back to this message. Ill try to dig it up later tonight.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Brian

•••
I don't want to set a BIN on all names, I do that for decent but not uberpremium names (<= 2K or so). If you set a minimum offer amount, the other party expects that your desired price is more or less in the same range. I don't want to cap the offers we receive. On the occasion we received generous offers, well above expectations. Had we set a BIN or minimum offer amount - the other party would have been less generous.
I want to be able to assess each offer in its own context.

Does it work ? I think end users either get it or they don't. We can't spend too much time trying to 'educate' them. They often have a budget in mind and are not ready to increase it drastically.
There is something to this approach as well, it sounds reasonable. I might try this as well.
But then you need to deal with lot of low ball offers I assume...

•••

better then rejecting them

•••
I really hate those "we have a lead" taunts that you get from Afternic, as they never pan out to anything other than a potential legal threat being emailed your way if they don't like your price.

•••
I really hate those "we have a lead" taunts that you get from Afternic, as they never pan out to anything other than a potential legal threat being emailed your way if they don't like your price.

not my exerience

•••
I respond to all offers politely with a counter. The really bad opening offers usually disappear.

•••
I have to admit I am one of the low ballers on Sedo.
My thoughts are that if you set the minimum offer at $100 for what is a liquid name, i will send a low ball offer of between $100 and $200.

I do not expect a response from 99.9% of the offers I send like this but there is always the possibility of reaching someone who does not know the value of the domain or quite simply is in need of quick cash. This does happen and I have made a few hundred dollars per time on transactions like this where I can flip the domains wholesale within 24 hours.

So apologies if I have sent this type of offer to any of you in the past but my advice would be to increase your minimum offer amount as this indicates to someone like myself that you indeed have an idea of the value of the domain and if they are serious in wanting to acquire the domain, they will still make an offer but one starting at a higher amount.

•••
I had a rather strange offer last week on GD 2 Word .Network

MyWorld ( .Network) $70

I countered low xxxx

Haven't heard back... Same on (4kpov) .com $88 (2weeks ago)counter mid xxxx nothing

Most Low ball , actually all my low ball offers have never come back after I counter!

•••
I have to admit I am one of the low ballers on Sedo.
My thoughts are that if you set the minimum offer at $100 for what is a liquid name, i will send a low ball offer of between $100 and $200.

I do not expect a response from 99.9% of the offers I send like this but there is always the possibility of reaching someone who does not know the value of the domain or quite simply is in need of quick cash. This does happen and I have made a few hundred dollars per time on transactions like this where I can flip the domains wholesale within 24 hours.

So apologies if I have sent this type of offer to any of you in the past but my advice would be to increase your minimum offer amount as this indicates to someone like myself that you indeed have an idea of the value of the domain and if they are serious in wanting to acquire the domain, they will still make an offer but one starting at a higher amount.

how do you react when somebody counters like $xxxx USD ?

•••
how do you react when somebody counters like $xxxx USD ?
Depends on whether I was actively seeking the name or just hitting it because it is a liquid name at that time ie 4L.com etc. If I am actively seeking it then I will negotiate, if it is a random liquid then I may either close the offer or send one final offer closer to wholesale value.

•••
My magic response is:

"I wouldn't sell this domain for anywhere near that price range, but thank you, I do appreciate every offer."

I type that in, like a broken record repeating itself, to every lowball offer. No long explanations, I don't want to waste my time or theirs. I call it my 'magic' response because it includes everything needed: One very short sentence, polite and gracious, lets them know they're not in the ballpark, leaves the door open for them to ask what the price range is or to come back with a higher offer.

If they're truly only interested in their lowball price, they don't email back. If they're a serious buyer, they'll email asking what price range I'd sell for. Usually that does not end up in a sale either... but occasionally it does.

*Note that the above only applies to when they're WAY off the mark, like making a $20 offer for a domain I've listed at x,xxx. But if they send a lowball offer for a domain that I have listed in the low or mid xxx range, then I'll tell them that price and try negotiate a little. Getting a $50 offer up to $400 isn't unrealistic, so it's worth a little effort;

But trying to get a $50 offer up to $5,000 is pretty much a waste of effort, so I don't even try, I just type in my magic sentence :)

•••
My magic response is:

"I wouldn't sell this domain for anywhere near that price range, but thank you, I do appreciate every offer."

I type that in, like a broken record repeating itself, to every lowball offer. No long explanations, I don't want to waste my time or theirs. I call it my 'magic' response because it includes everything needed: One very short sentence, polite and gracious, lets them know they're not in the ballpark, leaves the door open for them to ask what the price range is or to come back with a higher offer.

If they're truly only interested in their lowball price, they don't email back. If they're a serious buyer, they'll email asking what price range I'd sell for. Usually that does not end up in a sale either... but occasionally it does.

*Note that the above only applies to when they're WAY off the mark, like making a $20 offer for a domain I've listed at x,xxx. But if they send a lowball offer for a domain that I have listed in the low or mid xxx range, then I'll tell them that price and try negotiate a little. Getting a $50 offer up to $400 isn't unrealistic, so it's worth a little effort;

But trying to get a $50 offer up to $5,000 is pretty much a waste of effort, so I don't even try, I just type in my magic sentence :)
Nice message to send but may I ask why do you allow such low offers to begin with. If you will never accept them, why not set a higher minimum or state on your enquiry page that offers under a certain amount will not be responded to?

•••
Nice message to send but may I ask why do you allow such low offers to begin with. If you will never accept them, why not set a higher minimum or state on your enquiry page that offers under a certain amount will not be responded to?

it's better to talk to people
so you negotiate
then scaring them away

•••
My magic response is:

I just tried this on a $200 .co ( min offer ) I just received on GD , will let you all know if anything comes from it countered x,xxx with line

•••
I say reply to all offers. I had a $20 GoDaddy offer go to $18,000 but then they never paid 😭

•••
I just tried this on a $200 .co ( min offer ) I just received on GD , will let you all know if anything comes from it countered x,xxx with line

Any updates? Curious.

•••
•••
I say reply to all offers. I had a $20 GoDaddy offer go to $18,000 but then they never paid 😭

That story makes me NOT want to reply to all low-ballers.

•••
•••
•••
What has been your experience with Afternic "leads" - you got a lot of sales from them?

its just a marketplace
where multiple personas interact
so you can't tell upfront
what the inquery is like

upload_2018-11-18_22-14-11.png

•••
its just a marketplace
where multiple personas interact
so you can't tell upfront
what the inquery is like

So all of those were from "leads"?

I've sold lots of stuff on Afternic too, but I am specifically referring to those idiotic "leads" emails I keep getting, 2 of which I submitted BINs to and was subsequently sent legal threats via email.

So to me, Afternic "leads" are less than useless. Actual $ offers and BINs are great, but I'm not alone is disliking "leads" as I have read multiple threads on the subject and a lot of people feel they are useless, spurious and sometimes dangerous.

•••
So all of those were from "leads"?

I've sold lots of stuff on Afternic too, but I am specifically referring to those idiotic "leads" emails I keep getting, 2 of which I submitted BINs to and was subsequently sent legal threats via email.

So to me, Afternic "leads" are less than useless. Actual $ offers and BINs are great, but I'm not alone is disliking "leads" as I have read multiple threads on the subject and a lot of people feel they are useless, spurious and sometimes dangerous.

no those are not from leads
(except 1 at least)
still every lead maybe different
and you don't want to treat the right person wrongly

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back