IT.COM

poll Which do you hate more - Buyers with low ball offers or Sellers with unrealistic prices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which do you hate more - Buyers with low ball offers or Sellers with unrealistic prices?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Buyers with low ball offers

votes
    36.5%
  • Sellers with unrealistic prices

votes
    63.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Casey L

Top Member
Impact
These seem to be two of the most common problems domainers have with people inside and outside of the domain industry. Sometimes a buyer sends you an offer for one of your domains and the offer is laughable or flat out offensive. Other times you inquire about a domain, be it from a domainer or someone else, and their price is so unrealistic you feel the need to tell them so.

I wanted to see what you all thought and which optioned annoyed domainers more. Thanks for voting.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Low ball offer can touch the nerve, but that's the human nature, if you don't put the minimum offer limit, people always start low, even you, so why would you hate low ballers? If you get sick of low ball offers, just set up minimum offer, unless you are afraid to scare buyers off with unrealistic price :)

If the price of domain you want is unrealistic, try negotiate, wait until seller wake up to reality or move on. We all think our domains are great even they aren't, that's why we got them in the first place.

•••
Sellers mind: I stock hundred of domains and paid for renewal fees every year but only 3-5% will have been chosen per year, I spend so much time searching and noticing fresh news acquiring domains.
Buyers mind: I just want a cheap and good domain I don't think it worth that much because the costs are only $11.99 times years.
So I guess I prefer to hate low ballers...

Last edited:
•••
•••
When buyers have unrealistic sales prices at local shop it's offensive and makes me want to cry.

•••
Hate? It is not the term I'd use in domaining aspect. It is just business. Nothing personal or emotional. Whether it is about buyers, sellers, registrar or hosting providers etc. I voted for "sellers with unrealistic prices" simply because this pricing model makes all of us (the domainers) even more hated by endusers. This model is not necessary more profitable in a long run. On the other hand... since I think that my prices are realistic... the existence of sellers with unrealistic prices may be somewhat helpful. I've seen the sellers pricing their .net or .org higher (unrealistic prices the poll is about) and my exact .com was cheaper for example.

Last edited:
•••
Low ball offers: I care whether they are flipper offers or investor offers, or enduser offers. I sold a domain at Sedo for a small amount, and later I learned I also "sold " it at AN for more than 10x that price. What a shame, in at least 3 ways.
(if people don't ignore, such a thing wouldn't happen).
What I hate most in life: ignoring. I offer a great deal, people ignore. Maybe they are willing to pay 10x more but they remain silent, and I don't know how long they will remain silent.
Another thing I hate: People make an inquiry, I say this is the fair price, they say I can only pay this much, and I accept the offer... and they remain quiet and they will say I will buy,.. but never buy.
Another thing I hate: I get inquiries on the same domain from different countries, simultaneously all lowball, but they don't go slightly higer, and domain not sold.
...'
Another thing I hate: people make an offer, and although it can be accepted, a higher price would be more fair and closer to appraisas for an inbound offer, and I counter, and there is no second offer, and I wait, and invite others, and wait,.. and drop price below their initial offer, and noone buys it. And I know there is a real enduser behind all this, but he is not accessable.

Another thing I hate, people make 20 offer, and increase to 30 and say this is my last offer, and I accept it, and they never pay, although appraisals are in 4 figures.
In short we are tooo dependent on popular marketplaces, registrars and how they behave. Endusers don't act logically, and are easily manipulated with advertisements, and what their friends colleguages and families say.
I'm not against unrealistic prices,..and even fake sales. In the past I was against .com domination but now I think this is the only way.
The most annoying thing is negotiating with flippers and not knowing it. So there is a buyer with big budget already, but we are offered fraction of their offer.
If you are too nice, this is interpreted as desparation. I said this is the fair price, they said we can pay half of it. I said ok. And they say how about quarter of it.
People make an offer, I accept it, and I wait more than amonth for payment, and nothing happens,, And then Sedo gives my correct info to them, and their fake info to me, as if I'm the cheating party.

Last edited:
•••
When I am seller, I hate buyer with low ball offer more and when I am buyer, I hate seller with unrealistic price more :xf.wink:

•••
Having had domain names since 1996 have had a gazillion lowball offers on names offered for sale and on names that were not offered for sale.

Became a bit immune to the lowball offers and my domain name skin thickened to ignore or disregard 'em even when the unwanted phone calls way back then came ringing in.

I can control the lowballers to an extent,by ignoring 'em or trying to negotiate with 'em.

It was the vastly unrealistic priced names, back when I might try to buy another domainer's name, that drove me a bit batty.

Too many felt a realistic, honest inquiry or offer was equivalent to fresh meat trying to jump
on their paypal grill and oh man, were some prices unrealistic.

And not uncommonly, several months or a year or so later I would get a follow-up " acceptance " of my
fair market price offer for their name which was no longer of interest to me.

If I were to choose,I preferred a lowball offer to an utterly unrealistically priced domain name seller.

( As an aside I was quite unrealistically priced on many names in the early days - be it a bit of greed, exaggerated name values, lack of comp type pricing - type guidelines ) etc ).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back