Dynadot

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you guys doing Lease to own directly with Dan.com? Or are you doing it through Afternic's interface?
I'm not happy the way the names pointed from Afternic to Dan show (at least I'm unable to get the 'sellers notes' to show).

For the most part my names are pointed to Afternic but if a customer wants more info about the name and I feel they might benefit from a little pre written sales pitch, I furnish them the link to the Dan listing...I usually save the LTO option as a way to 'help' them if they turn down my price. It works in closing the sale about 1/5 of the time.

•••
I'm not happy the way the names pointed from Afternic to Dan show (at least I'm unable to get the 'sellers notes' to show).

For the most part my names are pointed to Afternic but if a customer wants more info about the name and I feel they might benefit from a little pre written sales pitch, I furnish them the link to the Dan listing...I usually save the LTO option as a way to 'help' them if they turn down my price. It works in closing the sale about 1/5 of the time.
Thats a good idea, but if the name is pointed to Afternic, how do you communicate with the buyer?

By the way, this is exactly why I wish they would add a "Contact the Seller" chat feature to our landing pages!

Last edited:
•••
I do it on all names over the threshold, Personally I feel its easier to pull the trigger as a buyer when its only $100/mo rather then putting out something like $2500 up front, but at the same time... I have never had anyone use it, they just put the money out, but at least the option is there for them.
If they only pay $100 month and you have 1000 names, you will go bankrupt. :-P

LTO is suitable for domainers with 100 names or so..

Last edited:
•••
If they only pay $100 month and you have 1000 names, you will go bankrupt. :-P
Well hopefully you don't only make 1 sale with 1000 domains 😁

•••
Thats a good idea, but if the name is pointed to Afternic, how do you communicate with the buyer?

By the way, this is exactly why I wish they would add a "Contact the Seller" chat feature to our landing pages!
Sorry about that...the broker is the necessary link in their system. It has been hard for me to completely turn over names to that process and I tend to mentally block it out (I've been my own broker for well over 20 years).

I've had one 'dud' broker thus far but most have been good to great. There are a couple names being worked on now...if anything appears to go sideways, I think I will begin using the dynadot landing page and offer Afternic as a pay option...and return to handling my own sales/pitches.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Have you guys found a "sweet spot" amount for the monthly payment that buyers seem to like on Lease To Own names? At least on lower cost names? I'm trying to do the math on how many months to offer for the lease (based on the monthly payment).

•••
Have you guys found a "sweet spot" amount for the monthly payment that buyers seem to like on Lease To Own names? At least on lower cost names? I'm trying to do the math on how many months to offer for the lease (based on the monthly payment).

The fewer months the better. Dan sends payments from the Netherlands, unlike GoDaddy/Afternic. An LTO plan that's like $300 /month for a couple of years racks up bank wire fees, e.g. $15 /month. I reserve LTO for either five figure listings or for high four figures listings at up to 6 months.

•••
Dan sends payments from the Netherlands, unlike GoDaddy/Afternic. An LTO plan that's like $300 /month for a couple of years racks up bank wire fees, e.g. $15 /month.
That's a good point. Thanks.

•••
You mean Godaddy increased the price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back