Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the GoDaddy logo is not dominant anymore on Mobile. The Dan logo is now dominant. I was about to move all my names to Dan landers, but not sure anymore. Any plans to make the GoDaddy logo dominant on the sales lander, Mobile & PC @LaszloSchenk ?
Good morning,

We do not have any such plans yet but will let all users know in case any such important changes take place.

•••
One question about "inactive domains deleted.

All domain I added to DAN have Enable automated domain ownership via TXT record.

My way of working makes me register many domains the first year but not renew them for the second year in more than 50%.
We are talking about more than 1000 domains, half of which will not be renewed in the first year.
The problem comes when it is time to delete them from the sales platforms. It takes me a long time.

I have received several notices from Dan stating that they may suspend my account for this. Attached message:

"We fully understand this could be overlooked! However, we do want to ask you to please make sure you keep your portfolio up-to-date. Your Dan.com account might be suspended if you list domains you do not own and/or do not keep your portfolio updated."

Is it really necessary to delete all expired domains? Why isn't there an automatic system in DAN that reviews the accounts and automatically deletes all expired domains without the user having to review all of them and update them?

If the system of verification of ownership by TXT works well, when DAN detects that there is no TXT tag in the domain, it will delete it directly without the owner having to do it domain by domain.

Last edited:
•••
@Intop
For all marketplaces, always make sure you don't list items that you no longer own (cannot deliver to the buyer).

@DAN.COM
To make the management of domains that are no longer owned a little easier, DAN.com could add a domain portfolio synchronization option, as Afternic ("reconcile") and Sedo ("sync") currently offer. All domains that are not present in the uploaded CSV will then be removed from portfolio.

1671538979280.png

1671539018413.png

Last edited:
•••
@Intop
For all marketplaces, always make sure you don't list items that you no longer own (cannot deliver to the buyer).

@DAN.COM
To make the management of domains that are no longer owned a little easier, DAN.com could add a domain portfolio synchronization option, as Afternic ("reconcile") and Sedo ("sync") currently offer. All domains that are not present in the uploaded CSV will then be removed from portfolio.

Yes, when I list items in this platform, they are always new registrations in my name and ALL go with the corresponding verification via TXT for each platform.

The problem is to remove them manually when they expire.
I think it would be nice if these platforms could implement an automated system to remove names that no longer have TXT validation in the system. I think it would be simple for them to do it and users would not have to be aware of it on the domains we drop.

•••
I received a non-automated message yesterday (Sunday) regarding a domain transfer, so there's definitely some support available. But probably not live support.
Well they're located in Amsterdam so our Sunday would be their Monday.

•••
Yes, when I list items in this platform, they are always new registrations in my name and ALL go with the corresponding verification via TXT for each platform.

I think it would be nice if these platforms could implement an automated system to remove names that no longer have TXT validation in the system. I think it would be simple for them to do it and users would not have to be aware of it on the domains we drop.
It really is far better, IMHO, for the owner to remove them when they are about to expire, not afterwards.

Last edited:
•••
It really is far better, IMHO, for the owner to remove them when they are about to expire, not afterwards.
Why?
For those of us who work with doains that change hands quickly, it is a headache.
It would be much better to have an automated system from the platform itself that when it does not detect TXT with your signature it automatically deletes it from the platform.

Last edited:
•••
Why?
For those of us who work with doains that change hands quickly, it is a headache.
It would be much better to have an automated system from the platform itself that when it does not detect TXT with your signature it automatically deletes it from the platform.

Sure, it would be nice if the marketplaces were checking for the TXT with your signature regularly, and removing any domain that no longer has it. That,though, would probably only work as an added check.

If if that system were in place, these are some questions about it:

1) Txt Msg verifies that domain is in account, but it really isn't.

With one registrar, there are domains that have lingered in my account for many months, despite not renewing them. It was frustrating enough that I tried, for those domains, to even just outright cancel them right before expiration. They still remained on my list for months, citing grace andregistry redemption periods. Even calls to customer service, to delete the domains from my list, didn't help.

For domains that have expired, does the registrar inactivate the TXT signature during those registry redemption periods?

There is a registrar that routinely keeps domains on their list as being "Active," despite having been transferred from the account to a different registrar. They call it a "placeholder," just in case you decide to bring the domain back. So, for that particular registrar, the txt msg signature presumably still would be there, but the verification process would be presumably be yielding a false positive result. (Note: When I sign in, all the domains would still appear there just as if I still had them there. They even send renewal notices for them.)

Are there other registrars that do that? Would the Txt verifcations provide false results with other registrars with similar practices?

2) Unclear charges for expired domains.
Dan is very flexible for being able to list a domain up until even the day before expiration. The thing is, what happens then if you have to process the sale AFTER that expiration. There are extensions that you could have bought for a few bucks a year ago, but didn't realize that now the renewal cost is hundreds or even over a thousand dollars. Are you willing to then risk being required to pay that renewal fee in order to complete the sale? Even if you listed the domain for far less than that, is there any possibility you would be required to take the loss, or otherwise be banned from any future business with the marketplace.

What happens with your domains that have expired and have gone to the registry grace or registry redemption period? The TXT verification may still indicate the domain is in the account. A sale could occur. Could you be liable for paying for both the renewal fee and any registry redemption or recover fees in order to complete the sale?

Why is it better to remove the domains before expiration? For now, until there is a reliable verification system for prompt removal right after the domain expires, it may help eliminate surprises.

Finally, are you aware that you are responsible for those additional renewal fees, if one of your domains that had just expired is now being purchased. I had tried to put in the descriptions to make certain if a domain was expiring the next day was sold that day, then processed the next, that the buyer would be aware that they wouild have to pay for the renewal. Dan said no, the seller is required to pay for the renewal. So, even writing it in your descriptions won't get you off the hook. For all you know, your great sale could end up costing you quite a bit more than expected--especially with one of those new domains extensions with recently hiked, astromical renewal fees.

Last edited:
•••

Just adding NS to the suggestion, and making the system optional for those who want / don't want it.

•••
Good morning @DAN.COM @LaszloSchenk

Can you add an option "Send message to the seller" that I can chose instead of make offer? I would like to use BIN + Contact button for my landing pages.

Currently I use BIN + Make offer to keep the door open for buyers to contact me, but the problem is that buyers think that the minimum offer is a bargain price that I am open to accept and they always send low ball offers.

Another problem with BIN + Make offer is that it creates confusion about the price, and buyers may think that you have overpriced your domain or that you are not confident enough about your asking price.

I prefer BIN + Contact Seller, so that buyers can still contact me without the assumption that I am willing to accept low offers.

@LaszloSchenk

Can you please provide feedback on my request above?

Can we have "contact seller" option?

Potential buyers can still conact us anyway using whois, so no point of not providing this option IMO.

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk

Can you please provide feedback on my request above?

Can we have "contact seller" option?

Potential buyers can still conact us anyway using whois, so no point of not providing this option IMO.
Good morning,

Thank you for your request.

We have answered this request many times before. Our current setup will remain the same to avoid spam on the platform. If you wish to receive contact prior to giving a ball-park figure, the price request option will be a great outcome.

Have a nice day.

•••
@LaszloSchenk

I've had my 5th transaction in a row with no payment from buyer after reaching an agreement.
I have noticed that this happens more often at Dan than any other platform.

It is very frustrating

Can you do something about it?

There must be something that can be done. Maybe a potential buyer should verify his email or phone number before sending an offer,

Last edited:
•••
Something EXTREMELY concerning has happened to me.
I listed the domain name Taste*A*Bite*dot*Com at Dan. Definitely sure I did because I set the NS to dan's. Previously I set the NS to afternic's.
Today I was curious about the domain name and checked it in the browser. It was showing blank because I have an adblocker. I have ads turned off on my domains at Dan so I was pretty much annoyed. I went to check if I have specifically turned ad on on this domain. But to my surprise, I could not find my domain at my Dan dashboard! I tried to add the domain and it failed because a Chinese (possibly) guy is selling the domain name!
I have just added the verification Dan ns record and added the domain back into my account. But my question is, how the hell did the seller list the domain in his account when it was already in mine and I have been controlling the domain through Dynadot since more than 2 years?!
Please check the owner's record history at Dan for this domain name and tell me I am hallucinating about ever adding the domain name into my Dan account!

Last edited:
•••
= But to my surprise, I could not find my domain at my Dan dashboard! I tried to add the domain and it failed because a Chinese (possibly) guy is selling the domain name!
Welcome to the club. This problem kept recurring at DAN. It was a major reason I left them. The last time it occurred, it took about a week to get the listings removed. Truly, this is very sad to hear that this fake seller problem still hasn't been fixed.

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk or anybody

So to be clear, if I have Dan Landing Pages for my domains and get a sale, it's 9% to you.

If I enable this thru Dan - "List my domains on Dan.com & Afternic’s Distribution Network"

Is it still 9% if they land directly on my page and 20% thru the Distribution Network.

The 9% (direct) doesn't jump to 20% does it, if I enable it?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
@LaszloSchenk or anybody

So to be clear, if I have Dan Landing Pages for my domains and get a sale, it's 9% to you.

If I enable this thru Dan - "List my domains on Dan.com & Afternic’s Distribution Network"

Is it still 9% if they land directly on my page and 20% thru the Distribution Network.

The 9% (direct) doesn't jump to 20% does it, if I enable it?

Thanks
correct

•••
Going to try it out, as long as my direct traffic to my domains are still at 9%.

Had maybe 5% of my domains at Afternic with prices and they're showing in the distribution network.

Have all my domains priced at Dan and just enabled it, so waiting to see them show up. I'm told it could take up to 48 hours:

"As the integration is new, we cannot assure you exactly how long it will take. It may take around 24 to 48 hs."

•••
Going to try it out, as long as my direct traffic to my domains are still at 9%.

Had maybe 5% of my domains at Afternic with prices and they're showing in the distribution network.

Have all my domains priced at Dan and just enabled it, so waiting to see them show up. I'm told it could take up to 48 hours:

"As the integration is new, we cannot assure you exactly how long it will take. It may take around 24 to 48 hs."
Hmm, enabled on the 1st, it's been about 48 hours, not working.

•••
Hmm, enabled on the 1st, it's been about 48 hours, not working.
Hi Jb,

If you are experiencing issues, please make sure to contact our support so that we can either identify the current status or resolve any problems, if any.

Have a nice day ahead.

•••
@LaszloSchenk

I complained to you before about frequent no-payment after reaching an agreement at Dan.

Your team did a nice job lately, they made the buyer pay after 3 weeks. I salute your team for dedication (y)

I have little suggestion: please show a clear message to potential buyers before sending an offer, explaining that "accepted offers are legally binding.... etc etc".

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Commission changes:

Dan from 9% to 15%
Afternic down from 20% to 15%

So basically unifying the commission charged to 15% if you’re using Afternic, Dan landers

There’s more in the email sent out but here’s part of it:

As we work towards a unified platform, it’s important to align the disparate commission models currently in place. On February 1, 2023, the following commission structure will go into effect.

• 15% commission for domains sold that are pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry; regardless of where it sells on the network or through the landers directly.
  • 25% commission for domains sold that are not pointed to nameservers at Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry.
This new commission model rewards sellers choosing to do more business with our platform by using any of our For Sale Lander options and opt-in to Afternic’s Distribution network. If your domain points to one of our nameservers (Dan, Afternic, or Uniregistry) when it sells, then you automatically receive a 15% commission rate. For those already using Afternic’s distribution network, this provides a significant reduction in commission rate versus the 20% charged by Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
"This new commission model rewards sellers choosing to do more business with our platform by using any of our for sale lander options"

How is increasing commission by 67% rewarding for the seller !?

•••
@LaszloSchenk

I have a question.

I am using for my domainnames landing page and nameservers from Dan.com. I also have my names for sale on Afternic. But at Dan.com I have Afternic's Distribution Network turned off because it is easier for me to manage the domain names separately at Afternic. Suppose in this situation for I sell a domain name at Afternic is it then 15% commission applied? Thanks for your time.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com aka Goddady increasing commissions by 67% while telling me that is a "beneficiary measure" for me, the seller.

Me - "Hi ChatGPT, could help me set up fast a landing page with escrow.com API integration?"

ChatGPT - "Hello! I'm Assistant, not ChatGPT, but I can certainly try to help you set up a landing page with escrow.com API integration.
To get started, you'll need to sign up for an Escrow.com account and obtain an API key. You can find more information about how to do this in the Escrow.com API documentation.
Once you have your API key, you'll need to choose a platform or tool for building your landing page. There are many options available, including website builders like Wix or WordPress, or you can build a custom landing page using a tool like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
Once you have chosen a platform or tool, you can use the Escrow.com API to integrate escrow functionality into your landing page. This might involve adding forms for collecting information from users, or displaying information about escrow transactions on your page.
If you have any specific questions about how to implement the Escrow.com API on your landing page, feel free to ask!"

Yap, Goddady was right, with patience, finally, this could be a beneficiary measure for me, who thought?

•••
Back