IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Hello,

I do have something that I may want to put forward now that I think about it. I love the landers and the service at DAN, but something that has kind of turned me off a bit when it comes to a closed sale.

I've had a couple of domain names that were accepted as offers and went into the sold phase. My domain names were still connected to nameservers, but I noticed that when I had checked it, for people that may have still been visiting the domain name could have been served other domain names that have been for sale. Instead, I noticed that it was offering other domain names of anyone else in the marketplace. I think that if I'm still bringing traffic to DAN through a sold domain that my domain names in my portfolio should be taking priority over someone else's domain names being displayed.

•••
If you enable MakeOffer option in Dynadot(This is the case with dynadot domains), Then Dynadot stops showing sedoMLS price.

I use Dynadot and several venues but do not use SEDO so would that have any effect on me?

My names are on an MLS but not via sedo.

Last edited:
•••
I dont agree with this, not everyone is only interested in .com only.
New gtlds can sell good too, (if you know which ones to buy of course :)

For better search results, i would recommend to have an option where you can select which tld(s) you are interested in. that would be a huge improvement i think, so that everyone can easily filter out 'unwanted' tlds in the search results.

Bob, you still did not get me. No one wants to see word.info in the search the result! They want to see wordinfo.com, wordinfo2.com, wordinfo4.com etc..
Do you get? Selling % for .info is also basically 0.01, I am sure Lazo can show the real %, but its probably close to 0.01

The key is money-making. if wordinfo4.com is more likely to be sold, then word.info should not be in search results.

•••
Dan the automated man.
Made my first sale, I heard from others it was listed as sold on your marketplace homepage. Congrats to me. When I get one of your automated messages, it shows in your time, my messages show in my time. The numbers looked weird, I checked emails to see when you sent email that buyer had been sent auth code 808am my time on messaging says 505 so your 9 hours ahead.
Why not keep things in one time zone? Mine, when corresponding with a customer.
All was going smooth, usual canned messages from bot, payment received,which registrar, push or transfer.
I sent code and name was moved to another registrar yesterday. been 22 hours since your last message the code was communicated to buyer.
Buyer transfer to uniregistry.
Does dan the automated man ask them to confirm when they have possession?
This person has been responding to queries and counter offers within minutes in last week. 2 different sales 2 different platforms

I am wondering if buyer is slow to confirm, or dan checks automatically even though .ca shows no whois?

It was on homepage yesterday this name was sold, not sold to me unless money is in hand and transaction is completed
24 hours is not a long time, but it was going so fast up to the point of buyer or dan the automated man to confirm.
I am sure that my phone's email doorbell will go off, you got moolah, at some point today, but its far from automated imo

Now I look the message i sent last night, domain has been transferred showed in your time 05:25 really it was sent at 8:25pm
Anyone know if buyer gets message from robot dan to confirm ownership change after they send auth code? Or do they verify MANually?
Good morning @MasterOfMyDomains ,

Congratulations on your sale and thank you for your post. Unfortunately, we cannot change the market instantly. Due to the various different processes surrounding domain transfers we are still depending on several manual steps that need to be taken by either the seller or the buyer of a domain. The usage of the transfer code by the buyer in your example is one of them. We submit the codes almost instantly after receiving it. However, we do not control when the buyer will use it but always try to push for the 24-hour window. We also follow up on the buyer and ask for confirmation several times until the code is used. Besides this it is out of our power, for now, to get a specific buyer to use the code straight away.

Hope you will have a great day!

•••
What are the fees for selling a domain name through the Dan.com site?

I've looked through the Help center and the Domain Seller Guide on the Dan.com site, and I cannot find this information.

•••
What are the fees for selling a domain name through the Dan.com site?

I've looked through the Help center and the Domain Seller Guide on the Dan.com site, and I cannot find this information.
9% for regular transactions from sale page
5% for escrow through imported lead

•••
9% for regular transactions from sale page
5% for escrow through imported lead
Thank you. I could not find this information anywhere on their website.

I eventually heard back from support, and they said the same 9% commission fee you mentioned.

How and what do I utilize the 5% escrow through imported lead you mentioned? Can you please elaborate or direct me to a page with more information?

Thank you for the assist.

•••
How and what do I utilize the 5% escrow through imported lead you mentioned? Can you please elaborate or direct me to a page with more information?
upload_2019-9-27_12-23-54.png

You must be logged in Dan

Last edited:
•••
Hello all. I agree that search is key. But it needs do a lot more than incorporate ngtld results in the best way possible (overall sales wise).

When I started domaining I was all about descriptive, generic keyword names. Everyone said those were golden.

I never found success there, so I changed my strategy. I looked at how businesses name themselves. Businesses in industries that know what a domain name is.

Here’s the point. They don’t use flat out descriptive, generic keyword names.

Since DAN prides itself in being innovative. Blockchain et. al. Go on and break the code that lets industry niche searches land on the perfect brandable search result. It will open the floodgates.

Task a group of experts to come up with something. (The brandable marketplaces use keywords, but it is a blunt tool the way they are doing it).

Googlify that search thing.

And by all means incorporate allocated keyword search along the way.

•••
The DAN search saga continues without any positive changes I have seen. I have asked DAN to explain this situation several times without much of an explanation being offered.

Search results below are a list I just ran on my Keyword (a popular dot-org dictionary word) I have owned for almost 20-years and valued by Godaddy at 8k and on sale at Dan.com a long time.

Why are NON-EXACT match names ranking #1 and #2? Why in the world world all those extensions of which many are second tier, little known or obscure and of dubious value rank ahead of my dot-org.

With that said, I am sure dot-org is more widely used not only in the USA but also world-wide (to a degree) vs several ranking ahead of me such as kiev,ua .deals .gg (never heard of these until now) and several other odd tlds.

The question to DAN is why do you apparently dislike .org so much? Do you not want my business by treating my 100 .org names so poorly in your search? It makes zero sense and I can assure you my dot-org name so blatantly discriminated against below and many of my other domains both com and org are more than likely valued far higher vs a lot if not most of your favored extensions.

nkeyword.com

zkeyword.com

keyword.la

keyworld.deals

keyword.gold

keyword.kiev.ua

keywordso.com

keyword,gg

keyword.mobi

keyworrd.world

keyword.to

keyword.science

keyword.org <<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:
•••
Did you park your .ORGs at Dan?
Or just listing?

Probably, the parked domains are ranked higher...
And traffic counter matters as well...

•••
dot-org is more widely used not only in the USA but also world-wide
Used and aftermarket are different terms.
For regfee all domains are good.

To US endusers - Yes, .ORG can be sold in 4F and even 5F range...
Outside US - usually under $500... or no aftermarket demand at all.

•••
I got my funds around 11am, day i wrote last post and happy with service and payment time. Good job dan. Thanks

•••
Listed on DAN with links to DAN, not using DAN DNS. Why would that matter?

Last edited:
•••
Used and aftermarket are different terms.
For regfee all domains are good. To US endusers - Yes, .ORG can be sold in 4F and even 5F range...
Outside US - usually under $500... or no aftermarket demand at all.

I can assure you my dot-org would be far more likely to sell to someone in Europe (exception Ukraine possibly Russia) than that keyword.kiev.ua (and numerous other examples) in the US market.

Plus isn't the US market bigger anyway vs elsewhere.

Last edited:
•••
.ORG in Russia is almost 0 in terms of its value for their endusers.

•••
•••
For better search results, i would recommend to have an option where you can select which tld(s) you are interested in. that would be a huge improvement i think, so that everyone can easily filter out 'unwanted' tlds in the search results.

Yes agreed. Right now they have it set up for com/net/org with check boxes to the left. So it is already ideal if you want to search say only for com or only for org, as long as the user ticks those boxes.

Beyond that you can search through a huge strangely arranged grouping, or you can type it in and it will find it (which is good but they should for UI make it obvious you can do that) - however after you do one search it goes back to the default suggestions which is not good.

I think it would be, while not ideal, much better if they had maybe the following checkboxes (and remembered them to the next search you do unless you change them)
  • all
  • com
  • net
  • org
  • all country code
  • all new extensions
  • others (info, pro, mobi, etc.)
  • custom (you enter the extensions you want divided by commas)
I realize this is far from ideal, and it is not really fair having info with the other category, and it would be better to separate out the country into generic and regions, etc. but not wanting it to be too long so it all shows on the page.

I still prefer the series of robotic questions to narrow search, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Bob

•••
Yes agreed. Right now they have it set up for com/net/org with check boxes to the left. So it is already ideal if you want to search say only for com or only for org, as long as the user ticks those boxes.

Beyond that you can search through a huge strangely arranged grouping, or you can type it in and it will find it (which is good but they should for UI make it obvious you can do that) - however after you do one search it goes back to the default suggestions which is not good.

I think it would be, while not ideal, much better if they had maybe the following checkboxes (and remembered them to the next search you do unless you change them)
  • all
  • com
  • net
  • org
  • all country code
  • all new extensions
  • others (info, pro, mobi, etc.)
  • custom (you enter the extensions you want divided by commas)
I realize this is far from ideal, and it is not really fair having info with the other category, and it would be better to separate out the country into generic and regions, etc. but not wanting it to be too long so it all shows on the page.

I still prefer the series of robotic questions to narrow search, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Bob

Hi Bob, There may be a misunderstanding in that I do not want to sell wholesale to domainers and am only referring to end-users looking at the DAN search results, not myself or domainers.

In fact, on my portfolio page and my own search feature it ends up going to a DAN.COM search. I doubt end-users are likely to play with the various settings and use ticks in the check-boxes to select dot com dot-org and other options.

They would in all likelihood simply type-in keyword1keyword2 and that is where my domains do so poorly in favor of DAN's favorite and little known extensions and non-exact matches.

Last edited:
•••
They don't play at all.
Endusers are visiting the desired domain or registrar... in 95%+ of cases...
Some advanced endusers can recheck WHOIS...
At the beginning of their idea to build webpresence - they are not aware even about Sedo (almost 20 years old marketplace).

So if for 10+ years you still have the unsold names in MAJOR TLDs - then very likely they are not in demand.

Last edited:
•••
Endusers are visiting the desired domain or registrar... in 95%+ of cases...

Unless the registrar is advertising in prime time, the endusers are visiting the domain and reacting to the landing page.

•••
isn't the US market bigger anyway vs elsewhere.
I don't know: how it is nowadays... Because I unsubscribed from Sedo newslettters...
But 5-6 years ago - share of Sedo sales to German buyers was just slightly less than their US sales.

And .ORG/.BIZ in Germany are low-value TLDs. Very weak demand on them.
After .DE, among legacy gTLDs they prefer .net/.com/.info

•••
doubt end-users are likely to play with the various settings and use ticks in the check-boxes to select dot com dot-org and other options.

No I understand that we all hope to (mainly) sell to end users. Your point that a very complicated form is likely to turn people off. But some domainers, earlier in this thread, expressed the wish that buyers see fewer results. Already there are tick boxes right beside search for com, net and org and one they can choose something else but it is complicated. I was just suggesting expanding that a bit, and also make it that you don't need to reenter it each search. But you are certainly right that even that may be more than many end users want.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back