IT.COM

.crypto domains launching on 12/11

NameSilo
Watch

Unstoppable Domains

Established Member
Impact
Hi NamePros,

We’re announcing the launch of the .crypto domain extension on 12/11. 50,000 domains have already been registered. Go to https://unstoppabledomains.com/?ref=namepros to find available domains.

You’ve probably all heard about cryptocurrency, but may not be aware that new domain extensions are being launched on blockchains. These domains are not part of the ICANN system. They are stored by the owner, with their private key, not by a registrar like Godaddy. No one can transfer a domain or update it other than the owner. If you store website content on decentralized storage instead of Amazon Web Services, then no one can take down your website other than you.

A blockchain domain + Decentralized storage = An uncensorable website

This is the beginning of an entirely new internet built to protect free speech around the world.

Blockchain domain features
  • No Renewals - Pay once and it’s yours ... forever

• No Custodian - Domains are stored by the owner. No third party can move or update them

• Payments - The domain can be used as a payment address for cryptocurrencies. Send Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, or any other currency all to the same domain

• Uncensorable Websites - Attach domains to content on decentralized storage and create an uncensorable website

• Transfers - Escrow agents aren’t needed. Transfer to anyone in the world in under 1 minute with no risk of being defrauded

We’ll be moderating this thread and we’d love to hear your thoughts!

Brad Kam, Co-founder

This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Once inputting the IPFS hash for html content, just doesn't seem to be saving. After an hour, chat support put in a ticket. Several hours later, it finally stopped trying to save the field and allowed saving in the field again. Now it's been over 8 hours again, and the bars still spinning.

Thanks! Same exact issues on my side. I tried all angles and nothing worked.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Yeah I think they are having some transactional isuess at the time... Hope nothing big.
Btw, is there and what is the best auctioning site for .crypto domains?

•••
Yeah I think they are having some transactional isuess at the time... Hope nothing big.
Btw, is there and what is the best auctioning site for .crypto domains?
Once a domain is in your wallet (Trust Wallet) it syncs with the dapp OpenSea.io. That seems to be the place for the sale and transfer of blockchain assets such as .crypto.

•••
Ok thanks. So no Metamask auctioning for me I guess 😊 Got to use Trust 🤔

•••
Ok thanks. So no Metamask auctioning for me I guess 😊 Got to use Trust 🤔
You can still list on OpenSea regardless of wallet, I believe, but with Trust it only takes several clicks.

•••
There are no .crypto sites in Viewblock yet
Learning learning..

ViewBlock is a Zilliqa explorer, thus only displays .zil sites.

.Crypto would need an Ethereum-integrated explorer.

As per support, there is nothing yet that displays a list of IPFS .crypto sites.

Looking forward to a browser that will use the ipfs:// protocol, and eventually resolving our .crypto domains to their domain name, rather than the hash.

All of these transactions cost gas, so moving forward how viable will it be for a simple site update then, as each change produces a different hash, which then has to be saved via UD. Especially as the network gets more and more congested with users looking to build sites.

Exciting stuff, regardless. Even if it only takes 15+ hours to upload a hash for a 30 kilobyte size site. It's like the good old dial-up modem days.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Will see if that number lasts.

Brad
Yes. Being the top dog on the Ethereum blockchain is not easy to hold. What this development does reinforce is that the core of crypto users are players with .crypto domain extension. It's been accepted by the core base.

•••
Yes. Being the top dog on the Ethereum blockchain is not easy to hold. What this development does reinforce is that the core of crypto users are players with .crypto domain extension. It's been accepted by the core base.
The interesting thing here is that people are praising security, but there is none. Similar to crypto currency, if your payment address gets stolen you have no recourse.

And let’s be honest, it’s nothing more than a payment address. This is not a domain name in the traditional sense so don’t expect websites to be built on .crypto.

•••
The interesting thing here is that people are praising security, but there is none. Similar to crypto currency, if your payment address gets stolen you have no recourse.
I see your hung on the security issue. I would recommend you install a crypto wallet and play around with a little crypto. You might be pleasantly surprised at the amount of security available.

Sure theres been cases of crypto stolen, but for the most part it is safer, much safer, than any domain you hold in a registrar's account.

This is not a domain name in the traditional sense so don’t expect websites to be built on .crypto.
Websites will be built on it. The decentralized web is coming, some would argue its already here. Watch this space, don't blink, because things are moving very quickly.

•••
After a couple days of building lists and making comparisons, decided on the right .crypto to use with my dn portfolio site. And btw there are a ton of awesome names avail regardless of so many being held back by UD for later release or brand claims. Went with

Instantly • Crypto

so will offer as an option to a buyer if they want to pay with crypto rather than fiat. I think it displays nicely on the bottom of my site too, and installed a special Bitcoin symbol font beside it to mark it (even though .crypto is Ethereum based, it can be used to pay to any crypto addresses that are assigned to it).

Chose a name that is more generic and interchangeable to use on more than one site if I choose, instead of being specifically branded to my current portfolio.

Really like the ability to give a permanent memorable address, rather than a long alphanumerical. The fact that you can reassign addresses and eventually the .crypto will have dual function of serving up a decentralized website as well is ingenious.

•••
Security - My Godaddy account has 2FA for domain transfers (non-Afternic) but I did not want to have to receive a text just to renew domains or download the portfolio. Given that the first use case for blockchain domains is a wallet shortener, I wish Unstoppable offered the option of 2FA for certain functions. If a hacker were to access an account they could theoretically change the wallet addresses used to transfer crypto. If the account holder were unaware of the hack and did not check, they could transfer funds to the hacker's wallet.

•••
If a hacker were to access an account they could theoretically change the wallet addresses used to transfer crypto.

To make changes, such as editing the address field, you need a connected wallet's signature. (As the screen grab below indicates)

Security is one of the great attributes of the .crypto extension. They are much safer than any conventional domains held by a third party.

I recommend trying it out, you may be pleasantly surprised. :xf.smile:

20191223_110344.jpg

•••
I had been under the impression that being based in the US would eliminate the need for a censorship -resistant website - meaning that primary purpose for me of having a blockchain domain would be as a wallet shortener. While I do not load many videos to YouTube I do recall trying to upload some videos of beautiful Playa Cabo San Juan in Tayrona Park near Santa Marta, Colombia to a Facebook account and I guess that Facebook due to memory limits did not allow it.

Well, some respected crypto Youtubers are now observing that recently YouTube is removing large numbers of crypto-related videos from their channels for bogus reasons. Perhaps even in the US another social media platform is needed which is not controlled by Google and Facebook.

•••
Looking forward to blockchain domains, not only ending with .crypto (I don't do crypto money) but, also with .planet , .nature , .joy , .freedom , .meonly , .you, .society , .apples , .oranges , .daddy , .trees, .ozone, .green, .help .divine , .rehab, etc... to truly harness the power of open communication.

Last edited:
•••
27.99K transactions, only 190 users.
#1 in 24 hour transactions. #22 in 24 hour users.

Will see if that number lasts.

Brad

Now #33 in 24 hour transactions (300) and #23 in 24 hour users (193).

Brad

•••
Now #33 in 24 hour transactions (300) and #23 in 24 hour users (193).

Brad
I show a little better numbers than that at dapp.com. I have it at #17. Although, that number compares all ethereum dapps in all categories.

A more interesting number is the total transactions.
20191226_103644.jpg

Consider that not everyone has claimed (put on chain) the domains they have reserved and that 7 or less letters are still held back. Already, to compare, .crypto would be in the top 30 list of NewGtld's.

•••
The Metamask app has been removed from the Google Play store.

•••
•••
Well, some respected crypto Youtubers are now observing that recently YouTube is removing large numbers of crypto-related videos from their channels for bogus reasons. Perhaps even in the US another social media platform is needed which is not controlled by Google and Facebook.
The Metamask app has been removed from the Google Play store.
Yep 2020 should bring some interesting developments, will it be an all-out war between crypto-based applications and the Googles, or will they find a truce? Something tells me that with Google jumping on the registry/registrar ICANN-regulated domain bandwagon, we may see the spawning of a new internet search/browser entity. Brave is well on it's way.

UD is going to implement 2FA, Garptrader.

•••
Yep 2020 should bring some interesting developments, will it be an all-out war between crypto-based applications and the Googles, or will they find a truce? Something tells me that with Google jumping on the registry/registrar ICANN-regulated domain bandwagon, we may see the spawning of a new internet search/browser entity. Brave is well on it's way.

UD is going to implement 2FA, Garptrader.
Agreed. The motivations for decentralized applications are becoming more justified. Google is fueling the fire. ICANN is fueling the fire. The technology for a decentralized internet is here, it's just about connecting the dots. With one switch ICANN, Google and Amazon(AWS) can get hit hard. The decade of the 20's will be exciting times.

•••
The centralized FAANG's (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google, etc.) are waging all out war with decentralized and crypto technology. Lots of discussion around these companies putting a choke on decentralization. From the Coinbase CEO on Reddit:

"Coinbase CEO here. This is really unfortunate to see. Apple seems to be eliminating usage of Dapps from the App Store.

If Apple customers want to be able to use Dapps, we may need to make this request know to Apple in some way. This is an important area of innovation in finance, and many developers and early adopters of this technology have millions of dollars worth of crypto tied up in these financial applications, which they will no longer be able to use on Apple mobile devices if this app store policy continues."

•••
I downloaded the MEW app, went to Metamask.io, added the extension, created an account but did not add ETH to either the Metamask or MEW accounts. I tried clicking one .CRYPTO domain in my UD account and tried to claim but it says it did not detect a WEBm3 wallet. I am not a blockchain programmer so at this point I am not sure what to do.

•••
Back