Dynadot

.crypto domains launching on 12/11

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Unstoppable Domains

Established Member
Impact
Hi NamePros,

We’re announcing the launch of the .crypto domain extension on 12/11. 50,000 domains have already been registered. Go to https://unstoppabledomains.com/?ref=namepros to find available domains.

You’ve probably all heard about cryptocurrency, but may not be aware that new domain extensions are being launched on blockchains. These domains are not part of the ICANN system. They are stored by the owner, with their private key, not by a registrar like Godaddy. No one can transfer a domain or update it other than the owner. If you store website content on decentralized storage instead of Amazon Web Services, then no one can take down your website other than you.

A blockchain domain + Decentralized storage = An uncensorable website

This is the beginning of an entirely new internet built to protect free speech around the world.

Blockchain domain features
  • No Renewals - Pay once and it’s yours ... forever

• No Custodian - Domains are stored by the owner. No third party can move or update them

• Payments - The domain can be used as a payment address for cryptocurrencies. Send Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, or any other currency all to the same domain

• Uncensorable Websites - Attach domains to content on decentralized storage and create an uncensorable website

• Transfers - Escrow agents aren’t needed. Transfer to anyone in the world in under 1 minute with no risk of being defrauded

We’ll be moderating this thread and we’d love to hear your thoughts!

Brad Kam, Co-founder

This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I downloaded the MEW app, went to Metamask.io, added the extension, created an account but did not add ETH to either the Metamask or MEW accounts. I tried clicking one .CRYPTO domain in my UD account and tried to claim but it says it did not detect a WEBm3 wallet. I am not a blockchain programmer so at this point I am not sure what to do.
I am hearing of MetaMask being a bit buggy. I have used two wallets to play. TrustWallet is very easy, I highly recommend it.

•••
I here you can store .zil on Nano Ledger, do you think we'll be able to store our .crypto domains on Nano Ledger? I want to store mine on there but I haven't looked into it yet

•••
It has happened before -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New.net

At one point it offered .travel, .kids, and .xxx but those were removed when they conflicted with domains proposed to ICANN in the first round of creation of new domain names in the primary root since the early history of the DNS

ICANN does not recognize or care about alternate roots.

so i was around running the .kids for new.net

they also had a plugin that tuned page.kids into page.kids.new.net so it worked everywhere in long form, and the plugin, given out with real player i think, made them work also.

for unstoppable names, do they use a chrome extension or something to translate?

•••
The biggest issue I have with these domains, is that it gives the possibility to child abusers to post things for which they should be hanged on the trees for, and you won't be able to anything about it! or am I wrong ? If you can't, then I would suggest you to think on the protocol rules, to create penalties to this kind of cases. I don't have issues, with drugs or weapons, just with the one mentioned previously.

BTW, I was thinking for an ICANN gtld application for .crypto, when the boom started back in 2013 :)

Last edited:
•••
Blockchain Domains enable censorship-resistant websites. So for example recently YouTube was taking down dozens of crypto-related videos off various channels for no logical reason. People who live in China, Cuba, VEnezuela and some Middle Eastern countries may not have the same freedoms of expression one takes for granted in the US. But illegal activities will remain illegal even if a blockchain version of Silk Road were to be launched. The FBI and Interpol would still attempt to track down and arrest the perpetrators.

•••
for unstoppable names, do they use a chrome extension or something to translate?
Dapp browsers that access the content of the decentralized web are in development by many companies currently. Look for it on 2020.

•••
Still unable to claim even one test domain - after adding metamask extension and trying to connect MEW (QR code read fails despite repeated attempts), get a message from Unstoppable Domains of unable to detect wallet. While I have the Trust Wallet app on my phone, from a desktop I do not see a link on the Trust Wallet site. I am wondering if perhaps ETH needs to be added to these wallets first before they work.

•••
Still unable to claim even one test domain - after adding metamask extension and trying to connect MEW (QR code read fails despite repeated attempts), get a message from Unstoppable Domains of unable to detect wallet. While I have the Trust Wallet app on my phone, from a desktop I do not see a link on the Trust Wallet site. I am wondering if perhaps ETH needs to be added to these wallets first before they work.

There has been alot of mention with problems with Metamask. There may be some work arounds now, but I haven't followed it.

With TrustWallet, use the Dapp browser and open your Unstoppabledomains.com account. You should be able to connect the wallet to your account.

•••
Thanks Internet.Domains for mentioning Trust Wallet. I did not realize initially that one could search for the Unstoppable Domains website within the Trust Wallet app on my phone. I was able to claim two .crypto domains (less than five minutes to claim once claim process initiated) which I was less concerned about losing if I did something wrong. I can see them within the Trust Wallet under collectibles but I can also manage them (add wallet addresses or redirect the domain) from within my UD account from my tablet. However, under transfer it mentions needing the private keys to do so. I do not see an option to view the private keys or is that handled automatically from within the wallet if one is sending the domain from within the wallet?

•••
Thanks Internet.Domains for mentioning Trust Wallet. I did not realize initially that one could search for the Unstoppable Domains website within the Trust Wallet app on my phone. I was able to claim two .crypto domains (less than five minutes to claim once claim process initiated) which I was less concerned about losing if I did something wrong. I can see them within the Trust Wallet under collectibles but I can also manage them (add wallet addresses or redirect the domain) from within my UD account from my tablet. However, under transfer it mentions needing the private keys to do so. I do not see an option to view the private keys or is that handled automatically from within the wallet if one is sending the domain from within the wallet?
Yes, its automatic when you transfer a domain to another address. The transfer process is as easy and seamless as the claiming process. Welcome aboard Web3.0!

•••
I have now claimed five .crypto domains which all appear in the Trust Wallet app. Note that after initiating a claim the domains appear more quickly from my Amazon tablet than from within the Trust wallet - perhaps a refresh was needed. I guess the .crypto domain transfer process may be similar to sending BTC or LTC from a Coinbase account to a Crypto.com wallet where you just need the the recipient address and an account password to authorize the transfer.

•••
l checked today and still signals UNCLAIMED with no claim option available... Oh well patience is the key I guess 😊 thanx for response!
It should be working
so i was around running the .kids for new.net

they also had a plugin that tuned page.kids into page.kids.new.net so it worked everywhere in long form, and the plugin, given out with real player i think, made them work also.

Yes browser extensions and we're in the process on native support from some browsers. And super interesting about .kids!

•••
The biggest issue I have with these domains, is that it gives the possibility to child abusers to post things for which they should be hanged on the trees for, and you won't be able to anything about it! or am I wrong ? If you can't, then I would suggest you to think on the protocol rules, to create penalties to this kind of cases. I don't have issues, with drugs or weapons, just with the one mentioned previously.

BTW, I was thinking for an ICANN gtld application for .crypto, when the boom started back in 2013 :)
Hey DNMRTL.COM - Agree that this is some of the worst stuff that could happen. Even the current centralized internet can't stop this sort of thing completely. Besides apps filtering it out on the second layer, which 99.99% will do, there's no silver bullet.

For .crypto, we took a list of 400K terms known to be associated with child exploitation on the internet and burned them so they can't be registered. The list was created by Thorn, a non profit dedicated to this problem. We will also continue to roll out tools to help on the content side.

While all of this is imperfect, at least blockchain tools make it easy to create open access to lists of sites associated with certain behaviors. Right now, platforms like Youtube and Facebook have no easy way to cooperate.

Would appreciate input on the above and other ideas as well.

Super interesting that you thought about a .crypto back in 2013! That's really early on.

•••
It would be interesting to hear Unstoppable Domains' view of different wallets and how they interact with their service.

•••
Dappradar shows some 1700 ethereum dapps while in the last 24 hours Unstoppable Domains ranks #18....

•••
Very interested in this but I'm not a techy
Are there more in-depth videos available?
TY

•••
What would be interesting to see at some point is a dapp / smart contract which accepts a cryptocurrency payment from the buyer and transfers the .crypto or .zil domain with a fee of no more than 5 % of the sales price.

Inputs from seller
-domain and wallet address
-Desired sales price
-wallet address to receive payment
-email address to communicate status

Inputs from buyer
-payment in ETH or BTC
-wallet address to receive domain
-email to communicate status

What else would be needed?

•••
someone launch this ext with big amount ?

•••
By using Etherscan.io one can obtain some limited info on the status of the .Crypto launch thus far. As of Jan 9th, 2020 AM there are 1445 different holders of .Crypto domains and nearly 42 thousand .Crypto domains have been claimed (I believe registration on the UD website does not interact with the ethereum blockchain - only the claim process). I suspect the top several holders are affiliated with Unstoppable Domains as I cannot see any logical reason why someone would register 500 or more .Crypto domains. I checked my account and found my owner address and was able to find it on the blockchain with the total number of .Crypto domains I hold. I did not see any info there regarding keywords registered.

•••
For information purposes, the UD team is very active assisting with the roll out on Telegram. They are answering questions as fast as questions are asked. Their support is phenomenal considering the technology of the Decentralized Web is new to many. If you need assistance give Telegram a try.

•••
Yep. Never seen anything like it, very impressed.

•••
•••
•••
I just followed an AMA with UD and crypto users are quickly jumping onboard the .crypto train. No question it has been recieved well. With an estimated 50m crypto users currently and an estimated 1bn over the next ten years the future looks bright.

•••
One thing that may surprise those new to crypto is that some wallets will change the default address to which you send payments. The idea is to not have repeated transactions to the same address so that people cannot see an accumulation of coins to that address. However, crypto sent to those former addresses is still part of your wallet balance and I was able to send to a former address and the transfer still appeared in my account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back