NameSilo

CRITICAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Entire Domain Community

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Carlton

Internet Real EstateVIP Member
Impact
Dear NamePros Friends - An online petition was posted today to the internet that is very important to all of us. The petition is located at:

BadForBusiness.org

ICANN have proposed damaging contracts pertaining to .biz, .info, and .org domain names that will allow discriminatory pricing. This means that the renewal fees on your biz/info/org domain names may be jacked up in price many times over. Can you imagine paying $500 per year for each biz/info/org name in your portfolio?

It is critically important that you, your friends, the entire internet community fight these unacceptable contract terms that will open the door to many abuses and that may damage online commerce for years to come. Your signature on this petition will deliver a clear message to members of Congress that you will not allow your business endeavors on the internet to be crippled by predatory pricing as a result of poorly written contracts blessed by ICANN.

Please read and sign the petition at your earliest convenience. It will be a very worthwhile investment on your part in preserving years of hard work, investment, and financial risk.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lasher said:
Nice, move the date up, get it through quick before this petition makes mainstream press. So corrupt.
I can only guess at the implications of moving up the date. But if ICANN slip this though with the level of opposition that has been voiced, then they will have voted to financially rape thousands of legitimate internet businesses. Clear CORRUPTION embodied and personified!

That, in turn, will generate a response the likes of which has never been seen.

The planning of the Gang Bang--> This is the letter (dated 6/27/2006) to ICANN from Neulevel (who administrate the .biz domain space). Taken form ICANNwiki ...

Specifically, we have negotiated terms that are consistent with contractual updates to recently concluded agreements, including presumptive renewal, elimination of fixed pricing, and a new fee structure. Presumptive renewal will help to secure NeuLevel’s long-term involvement and investment in the gTLD community and the DNS, and to help us compete fairly with other gTLD registry operators. We have increased our fees to ICANN in recognition of the key role registries must play in supporting ICANN’s operations and the important and challenging issues that lie ahead for the community.
Let me interpret the highlighted phrases: Allow us to charge whatever we want ... and we'll scratch your back, ICANN, for a long, long time.

This is dirty politics people!

•••
I have signed the particion.

I am only the 150th person to do this.

I am shocked.

Robert

•••
•••
It is only tomorrow. It is sortof hard to boycott .info .biz and .org domains so all i can say is crap...

•••
Me and my wife signed... #174 & 175

Someone please Digg.com the petition site. I haven't signed up to Digg yet and I have to run get my car registration taken care of right now. Everyone else should Digg it as well! It needs more exposure!!! :yell:

•••
I signed it an spread the words to others

•••
•••
Signed!

Thanks for highlighting the issue.

•••
•••
•••
Where and at what time is (was ?) the meeting ?. Any news from Icann ?

•••
The minutes won't be released until after a special meeting of the top Icann board members to pass a new resolution stating that, at the discretion of the highest bidding corporation, "no" in Icann votes really means "yes".

Regardless of the outcome of today's meeting, the fact that it even got this far means that in my eyes ICANN is a disgrace and a joke. How can this group of clowns be left in charge of what is rapidly becoming the world's most important communication medium, it just boggles me ... when this is all ancient news and we're all dust, if history remembers ICANN at all it will be with comtempt.

Rep me down if this is too venomous, rep me up if you agree, but either way this is how I feel and I know I'm not alone.

Grrr..

•••
Lasher said:
Regardless of the outcome of today's meeting, the fact that it even got this far means that in my eyes ICANN is a disgrace and a joke. How can this group of clowns be left in charge of what is rapidly becoming the world's most important communication medium, it just boggles me ...
I completely agree. :td:

•••
Signed #250

Just take a look at my signature :td:

•••
Subc0nci0us said:
Signed #250

Just take a look at my signature :td:
Yeah, I see in your sig. How many people would be harmed - many, many .orgs? Insidious contracts with total absence of any clear pricing guideline. And ICANN (at least to this point) have offered no public recognition of the potential for abuse. They don't red flag this issue as one of particular importance or with serious repercussions.

The picture which comes to mind is arriving home early to discover the police breaking into your home to steal your belongings ... or perhaps more accurately ICANN being the lookout while burglars ransack the house. I really want to hear ICANN reps state their recognition of this huge mistake, and voice commitment to small business owners and biz/info/org registrants that price protection will be a major feature of the new contracts.

•••
•••
Better late than never...#266

•••
Signed as #267. I hope it does do some good. This is so wrong. It undercuts e- business/e-commerce and information via the internet.

•••
•••
I dugg that link matey.
Rob

•••
Signed #273

I'm a .info fan > Hopefully this petition will get somewhere.

•••
Signed (#274) and digged as well.

•••
I just revisited the BadForBusiness.org site and read the most recent comments from posters there. Very good arguments explaining why price control is necessary.

P.S. Also highly recommended is to use this link to send a brief letter to your state senators and congressional reps. Very easy using the link. And if you send a note expressing your concern, please do mention the BadForBusiness.org petition online. The link ...

Send a letter to my state government reps

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't sign. If ICANN wants to be out of business in 2007, let them do!

When everybody buys, I sell. That's why I am still there. I hope ICANN people read this. Moralists and volunteers get us nowhere. It is the entrepreneurs that keep this planet turning. We will always find something to make up, or just make up something. I will stop domaining if anybody makes its more complicated than it is. And You bet that I am not alone.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back