Dynadot

Creating your own landing pages

NameSilo
Watch

Arfy

Shrew.comTop Member
Impact
Recently, I received some inquiries on 2 of my domains through landing pages at a top registrar (won't mention which one as it isn't important). The offers were not too bad but I felt that as the inquiry was routed to a broker, after the 20% commission, the offer did not seem enough to warrant the sale. After a bit the deal went cold.

I couldn't help but feel that since the inquiry came from a landing page, that I could have easily handled this deal myself and kept the 20% commission as well as having a lot more time to interact with the inquirer and possibly strike a deal. Whereas the broker was most likely handling multiple inquiries at a time and allowed the deal to grow cold.

I wanted to try out my own landing page for one of my more premium domains and I wanted to get your thoughts on whether a landing page like this one is a good idea. If you could provide some feedback on what you think is good or bad about this lander and whether it is better to stick with a landing page provided by one of the big players like Uni, Sedo, Undeveloped etc. Landing page is below - it looks better on PC (moving background) but it still works well on mobile.

I personally like it as it is engaging, allows you to inquire immediately by clicking a button and filing a form but also gives the buyer information on the domain name and its potential if they wish to read on. Furthermore, I have chat functionality on there so if they have any questions that can chat to me in realtime. The form also goes to 2 of my email addresses so less likely that inquiries will be missed. But is this all too much?

Please keep comments to the point and this is about the landing page not the domain itself so do not start a side discussion about the domain.

Furthermore, it would be great if you could all share your own bespoke landing pages so we can all learn from each other on the best design concepts!

thanks,

CK

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks @4pm

Cheers
Corey

always yours...
sorry i was probably too harsh, excuse me
but still.. that's a bad landing to my liking

imho:
If the name is for sale there should be a clear indication that it's for sale. This is the first and most important message you want to send right to your visitors' eyeballs as soon as they land on the page.
This is what you make landings for: let people know the name is for sale. All the rest is of much lesser importance if any at all i.e. policies, terms, marketing blah-blah, etc.

There are three mandatory elements i believe should be put on a good for sale landing always:

1. This domain is for sale message. Clearly stated in big letters, preferably at the very top so a visitor unavoidably gets it at the first glance.
If you sell something the most important and logical thing to do probably is to label it with a straight For Sale sign.

2. Impulse buying works everywhere and domains are no exception. Let a buyer to purchase the name with a couple of clicks unless they get cold or change their mind.
Have a Buy Now link to your favorite marketplace with BIN price set.

3. Not all buyers know how it all works. Many want to discuss the price. Others have questions as to payments, transfers etc. Some just can't figure out where they are and what's going on.
You need to offer a simple way for them to communicate with you. So make sure your Contact Us link or form is right here and is easily found.

Keep it clean.
No one is going to read those Why a Domain Name is so Important to Your Business stuff. These copy-pasted pitches look childish and cheap.
Nor do they want to dig throu your 5 page Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, Disclaimers and Legal Notices.
They simply want to buy the name. Hopefully.
You can always tell them all this if they are interested or when asked.

The more links (besides Buy Now and Contact) there are on the page the higher a probability they'll be clicked sending your prospective buyer further away from Buyin it Now or Contacting you :)

And that's the only thing you really want to happen next - a visitor clicking Buy Now or Contact you with an offer or question!

So get rid of all those unneeded
- My 10,000 names Portfolio
- About us and our big Domain+Branding+Design+DeepLearning Company (which is mostly me and my british cat)
- My Grandma's cookies recipes

links and pages.

Only leave what helps you sell (and the buyer buy) this very name. And they are exactly these - Buy Now and Contact

Here's a couple of examples of what i like:
yourrobots.com
hightechtoday.com

just my $.02, your thought flow may take a different path..

Last edited:
•••
cryptoexchange.co ( make offer + bin)

i personally don't get the logic behind a BIN price and a Make Offer form at the same time/on the same page.

By doing so you are effectively saying that whatever your BIN is you are ready to consider LOWER offers.

For me if i'm a buyer that basically means that
i will NEVER pay the BIN - since the owner himself is already suggesting me to send him (obviously, lower) offers.

Instead i would put in there a simple contact form - a savvy buyer will contact you with their offer if they need the name but want to discuss the price before buying it.

imho

•••
Personally, I like one page landing pages where ever thing is above the fold and you don't have to scroll.

I have big bold letters that say "Domain Name For Sale", so it's very clear that the domain is for sale the moment you hit the page. That is the main title of your page. People will subconsciously judge what your website is in a split second.

When I first visit you're page, I immediately think of a a corporate website. I see "SUCCESS", so I think it had to do with you company successfully working with other companies, not a domain for sale.

So if I was interested in buying the domain, I might quickly type in the domain and see if it's registered and if there's a website, and I might close the website thinking it some corporate site before I actually read more.

The format I like best is "Domain For Sale" on left and a simple contact us input box on the right, all on one page up top

•••
Pretty cool, clean, fresh and simple. Device compatibility can be improved like you mentioned yourself:) And the chat as mentioned above can be annoying, should set it so it just sits in the corner and people can choose to open it, those are getting quite popular and whoever wants to chat knows where to look for it. @BaileyUK , I'll be happy to chat re. creating bespoke landers, feel free to get in touch or/and look at some landers here.

•••
looks too bizzy for me, more like a website, than a lander
it's cool though, if that's what you wanted visitors to think

but, if you're going to have all that, may as well add some adsense and linkshare

> nexcure.com

good luck!

imo...

•••
Thanks! I got an offer for $295,000 from someone who owns a cashew plantation. He rang me on whatsapp using the phone number provided on the site (under the phone icon). I think he was African, the phone connection wasn't so good and the conversation itself didn't feel very professional. He said he will hold a board meeting and get back to me today. He also asked for method of payment and I said I only accept payments through Escrow.com and explained a little about how it works.

I am not holding my breath on this inquiry but you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. If he pays a wire to escrow.com then I can't complain :ROFL:

However, it does show that he was able to use the functionality easily enough. Also, had a couple of people hit me up on the chat and fill the form so I guess it does work. So far 65 views (added Google Analytics).

I have disabled the chat pop-up though as feedback says it is annoying. Also did some SEO on the lander so it appears at the very top of Google if I type in the full domain name in the search bar. I know that doesn't mean much but hopefully if visitors increase it will reach higher for the keywords.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope this helped others too and would be good to see other landers people have created themselves.

Last edited:
•••
CannaSkin.com.au

cannaskin_com_au.jpg

Cheers
Corey

•••
Hi All,

As the OP I thought i'd circle back and show you that I have simplified my new landing page for another domain I own massively after all of the feedback I received. Let's see if this one proves popular!

why it looks ok i don't like at all how it's done:

...throws 2.2Mb in your face
of which 1.8Mb is javascript

1.8Mb of JS for a simple static landing page...

the page is making more than 150 requests (!)
that's more than enough for an advanced web app with complex functionality and a lot of client/server communication..
and it's just for a landing page with price, buy now button and a chat widget

have you tested how it loads on slow 3G?
open Chrome Dev tools and take a look

Make Offer form not loading with uBlock turned on..
nor are Snapchat and Email buttons
only chat is..

Escrow button... no one in his right mind is going to init an escrow transaction of $250,000 without first talkin with the owner and neg, or just simply making sure the name is still yours and is stil for sale. So not sure what this button here is for?

i would seriously reconsider your for sale landings strategy...
this monstrous beast can easily break any second when/if one of like 10 domains from which it's pulling its files from goes down or something..

•••
Looks ok but but best to use a direct lead site rather than looking like a normal website...

I have just set up some nice landing pages that run on a script pm me for info can also help set up for others

Last edited:
•••
Agree with the others re. chat popup, better to have the user option to bring it up. Reminds me of those sites with the auto-play music or videos.

As per the lander as a whole, personally found it as Biggie said, too busy. Two contact forms on same page, too much scrolling, just a bit of an overload for a lander.

I prefer the K.I.S.S method, load up the page and get to the point. Make the domain name the focus. If you put too much noise around it, the name loses authority. You only need noise if the name sucks. And yours doesn't.

Couple of my landers:

lunar (dot) express
escape (dot) land

Super simple, probably too much so in fact. And no contact form, which is a minus imo. The thing with landers is, they are easy enough to improve on.

•••
@HotKey I love those landers! I don't think the RFQ lander is crowded either though, it's all horses for courses. If you are super confident in your domain name, not pressed to sell it quick and can just sit and wait for the right buyer to come for it then sure, just put a price and contact and you don't need to care at all what else goes on that page. Otherwise all efforts are proportional to what and how quick you want to get for that name. Not putting extra effort in marketing it and more info on the page to draw in and educate a potential buyer on *why* this name is good for them and *worth* paying $X for is just excluding potential leads.

•••
Recently, I received some inquiries on 2 of my domains through landing pages at a top registrar (won't mention which one as it isn't important). The offers were not too bad but I felt that as the inquiry was routed to a broker, after the 20% commission, the offer did not seem enough to warrant the sale. After a bit the deal went cold.

I couldn't help but feel that since the inquiry came from a landing page, that I could have easily handled this deal myself and kept the 20% commission as well as having a lot more time to interact with the inquirer and possibly strike a deal. Whereas the broker was most likely handling multiple inquiries at a time and allowed the deal to grow cold.

I wanted to try out my own landing page for one of my more premium domains and I wanted to get your thoughts on whether a landing page like this one is a good idea. If you could provide some feedback on what you think is good or bad about this lander and whether it is better to stick with a landing page provided by one of the big players like Uni, Sedo, Undeveloped etc. Landing page is below - it looks better on PC (moving background) but it still works well on mobile.

I personally like it as it is engaging, allows you to inquire immediately by clicking a button and filing a form but also gives the buyer information on the domain name and its potential if they wish to read on. Furthermore, I have chat functionality on there so if they have any questions that can chat to me in realtime. The form also goes to 2 of my email addresses so less likely that inquiries will be missed. But is this all too much?

Please keep comments to the point and this is about the landing page not the domain itself so do not start a side discussion about the domain.

Furthermore, it would be great if you could all share your own bespoke landing pages so we can all learn from each other on the best design concepts!

thanks,

CK

You will received a lot of SPAM from the landing page without recaptcha.

•••

Attachments

• Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 157
•••
don't have to be always serious... domaining is fun, too :)

126462_7d946fd08170acc39477cb52531da4bc.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 16.49.47.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 16.49.47.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 205
•••
•••
•••
CannaStick.com.au

Show attachment 109415

Cheers
Corey

Corey,

this is much better than before

...but it looks like you are using Joomla
while i do not have anything against it as a CMS (content management system)
for simple landing pages it introduces a lot of overhead:

1. for the above page it loads 2.3MB including:

505KB of javascript ...OUCH!
200KB of CSS
1.5MB of images
4 font files

- most of that stuff is not even used for rendering...
- the page is loading slow esp. on 3G and slow connections
- mobile users pay for traffic!

2. Joomla pulls in a lot of default CSS and JS which makes it a lot harder to customize the look and feel of the page.

For example, you have to override tons of classes and still the result is unpredictable.
E.g. on a mobile screen your Domain is For Sale banner just somehow disappears:

126575_a306fefb0f23f81f9b651f8cfaf2e6f5.png

i would consider serving landings as plain static html pages without JS (other than analitics) and external CSS.

The page below is 60KB including google analytics, 1 font and a good slice of cheese :)

126576_b366b2a297474978d63b11e8bdcecbed.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 15.32.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 15.32.27.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 15.45.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 15.45.23.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
•••
Still like it simple, clean, fast, mobile friendly and lightweight
..with the focus on the Name vs Design, Images, Effects etc.

127810_1859f2bbabaa509aa4bec3ac371a0555.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 17.33.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 17.33.01.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
•••
Are you based in Israel? The lander also lets me see who is currently on the site ;)
Your lander is Smart:) I am here, at the amazing Tel Aviv!

•••
Love the feedback everyone!

Main take away for me is to stop the automatic chat pop up and maybe even remove it all together.

The other take away is to include all info on one page rather than having a scroll or have a scroll but keep the most important stuff like the contact form visible without needing to scroll.

Agree with the others re. chat popup, better to have the user option to bring it up. Reminds me of those sites with the auto-play music or videos.

As per the lander as a whole, personally found it as Biggie said, too busy. Two contact forms on same page, too much scrolling, just a bit of an overload for a lander.

I prefer the K.I.S.S method, load up the page and get to the point. Make the domain name the focus. If you put too much noise around it, the name loses authority. You only need noise if the name sucks. And yours doesn't.

Couple of my landers:

lunar (dot) express
escape (dot) land

Super simple, probably too much so in fact. And no contact form, which is a minus imo. The thing with landers is, they are easy enough to improve on.
Thanks for showing your landers! I like the idea of yours but I think they are a bit too plain. When I see it I feel like offering less as It looks unprofessional. Also the price and contact details are tiny- almost missed it

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for showing your landers! I like the idea of yours but I think they are a bit too plain. When I see it I feel like offering less as It looks unprofessional. Also the price and contact details are tiny- almost missed it
That is really interesting, re. feel like offering less as it looks unprofessional and too plain. I tend to agree. And super-valuable to know- thanks! It definitely leans in a more easy-going direction, but for now, that's the intention.

Re. the font at the bottom being too small, thanks for pointing that out! Got some work ahead of me now. Again. (sheesh, just when you think you've finished..)

•••
@HotKey I love those landers! I don't think the RFQ lander is crowded either though, it's all horses for courses. If you are super confident in your domain name, not pressed to sell it quick and can just sit and wait for the right buyer to come for it then sure, just put a price and contact and you don't need to care at all what else goes on that page. Otherwise all efforts are proportional to what and how quick you want to get for that name. Not putting extra effort in marketing it and more info on the page to draw in and educate a potential buyer on *why* this name is good for them and *worth* paying $X for is just excluding potential leads.
Perfect @Tatiana Bonneau

•••
Why would you make your email CEO@rfq? It looks like company running out of business and the Chairman is selling own domain.

•••
it looks very cool

I can't tell if a nice page sells a domain better then a not so nice page
especially not for a 3L.com

busy or not
doesn't matter
for a 3L.com

email doesn't matter

nothing actually matters to sell a 3L.com

all that matters is the time you want to wait for a high ticket offer to arrive

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back