IT.COM

question Afternic FT landing page (lower commission) vs self-made and no commission for sales via own site vs another landing page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FDR

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys,
I'm new to listing a bunch of domains for sale. I went with Afternic and where possible Afternic FT. Using their landing page (their nameservers) reduces their commission by 5%.

But if I have my own landing page, I could potentially sell the domain at either 0% commission or at 5% commission if I use the Afternic checkout widget (presumably increasing trust). I can have my own landing page and still use all other features of Afternic FT (syndication in their network etc), right?
Wouldn't plenty of buyers, after seeing the site listed somewhere, at least have a quick look at the actual website? I could even promote it as "commission free", offer a discount, and it might increase conversions.

Afternic's landing pages so far aren't convincing me, they don't even have SSL, which seems super unprofessional. And I kinda doubt that they have been properly A/B tested for conversions.
Plus, maybe I could use the sites for some basic SEO to help my regular websites (anyone doing that?)

Also, any other "must do"s for listing domains besides Afternic and taking care of the landing page? Any market places that are "must's"? Any services that list all domains for me in multiple marketplaces (besides Afternic)?

Thanks!!

Best,
FDR

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi FDR, welcome to NamePros.

Using their landing page (their nameservers) reduces their commission by 5%.

I am not sure what you mean by 5% reduction but GoDaddy/Afternic charges 25% of the domain sale price or a reduced 15% if you use one of their name servers (Afternic,Dan).

I can have my own landing page and still use all other features of Afternic FT (syndication in their network

Correct. As long as you opt-in at your registrar for the Afternic fast transfer network you can still enjoy the benefits of it while using your own custom lander.

Afternic's landing pages so far aren't convincing me, they don't even have SSL, which seems super unprofessional. And I kinda doubt that they have been properly A/B

As much as we all complain about Afternic in this forum I am pretty sure they do A/B testing. We have to keep in mind that the more domain sales we do the more money they make end of the day. It's in their best interest to do A/B testing and get the most optimal landers. They only make money when we make money.

maybe I could use the sites for some basic SEO to help my regular websites

If you asked me this question about 10 years ago I would say yes but a lot has changed in SEO since then. I doubt you would get any type of seo boost doing this.

Any market places that are "must's"?
The two biggest "musts" are the GoDaddy(Afternic) network & Sedo. Once you submit it to these two it wouldn't hurt to submit it to your domain registrars marketplace if they have one.

Best of luck with your domain sales!

•••
You can use DAN.com's landing page. Their UI is good and it includes SSL too.

•••
Hey guys,
I'm new to listing a bunch of domains for sale. I went with Afternic and where possible Afternic FT. Using their landing page (their nameservers) reduces their commission by 5%.

But if I have my own landing page, I could potentially sell the domain at either 0% commission or at 5% commission if I use the Afternic checkout widget (presumably increasing trust). I can have my own landing page and still use all other features of Afternic FT (syndication in their network etc), right?
Wouldn't plenty of buyers, after seeing the site listed somewhere, at least have a quick look at the actual website? I could even promote it as "commission free", offer a discount, and it might increase conversions.

Afternic's landing pages so far aren't convincing me, they don't even have SSL, which seems super unprofessional. And I kinda doubt that they have been properly A/B tested for conversions.
Plus, maybe I could use the sites for some basic SEO to help my regular websites (anyone doing that?)

Also, any other "must do"s for listing domains besides Afternic and taking care of the landing page? Any market places that are "must's"? Any services that list all domains for me in multiple marketplaces (besides Afternic)?

Thanks!!

Best,
FDR
Hi @FDR
Welcome to NamePros! You're correct - using Afternic nameservers reduces your commission to 15% (from 25%). When it comes to landers, Afternic is constantly A/B testing for conversions and introduced SSL for landers in July last year - something that has been slowly rolling out since then due to the number of domains Afternic has in its inventory.

There's more information about the 4 landers Afternic offers through https://www.afternic.com/sales-landers. Both the Request Price and Buy it Now landers have strong GoDaddy branding, while the Buy it Now lander is also hosted on a GoDaddy.com URL with the checkout process completed through GoDaddy's internationalized cart.

If you'd like more information about Afternic's services, please reach out and we'd be happy to help!

•••
Thanks guys! Oh yes, of course - 10% less. My bad! I'll make sure to list on Sedo as well, heard about them ofc.

Any opinion on what pays off more? Self-made landing page or 10% less if it's sold via Afternic?

•••
Thanks guys! Oh yes, of course - 10% less. My bad! I'll make sure to list on Sedo as well, heard about them ofc.

Any opinion on what pays off more? Self-made landing page or 10% less if it's sold via Afternic?

I use Bodis landers with Escrow.com which are free (no commission) so I don't need to create anything myself. I also list in the Afternic and Sedo networks (you can do all 3). Afternic still sells the most, but obv I get some direct sales from people who type the domain directly and purchase. Bodis does have some serving issues for those using ad blockers however. Still, at 0% commission the price is right.

•••
•••
I list all of my domains at GoDaddy Auctions, Afternic, Dan, Sedo, SquadHelp White Label, Dynadot Market, Efty etc... At the least you should probably do Afternic & Sedo for the distribution networks.

As far as the landing pages go currently my favorites look wise and feature wise are...

1)Efty
2)Dan
3)SquadHelp White Label

The namepros pages are heading in the right direction which might pop them into being my 3rd or 4th favorite...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/free-domain-parking-by-namepros-simple-landing-pages.1168019/

•••
When it comes to landers, Afternic is constantly A/B testing for conversions and introduced SSL for landers in July last year - something that has been slowly rolling out since then due to the number of domains Afternic has in its inventory.

Hi, I remember Paul mentioning this to me at the last years Namescon. He mentioned 3-4 thousand a day added for the start. I was wondering if the speed has picked up since. With 24 million names listed, that would take 24 years at that speed. And, I have tested few names randomly from my portfolio and has not found any positively affected so far.

This should get a priority, as all the traffic from the "web juice", i.e. clicks from other websites, is literally lost. Just fixing this single issue could increase lander sales by 5-20%. And for the way to do it quick and efficiently, just use Dan know-how and/or engineers. Probably a low 6 figure investment that will give GD 7 figure incremental income ANNUALLY.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back