NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I posted about this on DNF in the DomainGang thread but the owner felt it necessary to have the last word and close the thread as he's done countless times in the past...

From that thread it came to my attention the owners/investors of Cowboys.com have developed it into a Gay dating site, and that some domainers may think it was a brilliant idea as a way of influencing the Dallas Cowboys organization into buying it, needless to say I do NOT share that same thought..

But I'm wondering how many of you do?

I think it goes to ethics, Yes it was unethical for the Dallas Cowboys to back out of the deal, but it is also unethical for it's new owners to use degradation of a famous brand as a means of persuading the owner of that corporation into buying it...

The owners will of course say this was not their intent, but when you look at the history behind this purchase, and consider the Dallas Cowboys have the most interest in the name as well as very deep pockets, and considering that 5 years has passed and no sale, I think the intent is clear.

Your thoughts

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
we own CowboysS.com

thought it would be of some use to a domainer / developer wanting to make a go of it in straight world

for sale btw!

•••
''

Last edited:
•••
Jerry Jones strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't like to be played, and no matter how much the owners try to deny it, they are doing just that..

Jerry is probably saying to himself; Let the cybersquatters have it, I'm quite content with DallasCowboys.com

•••
•••
well alex, ill take "What is Google" for $0

sidenote, found this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30O-JJnuYIg"]Rick Schwartz Interview - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
•••
probably - and i'd say its just as probable the ENTIRE reason for buying this domain was to antagonize the dallas cowboys into buying it later and make them "realize their mistake" then publish some blog post with the theme of "dont mess with domainers, you only get one chance for a unique property blah blah blah"

would i do this if i owned the name? i dont know. its easy to stand from the sidelines and judge. if the motivation behind this is to antagonize the dallas cowboys that does seem sort of sleezy but oh well - so does backing out of a sale and claiming you thought it was only $275 for Cowboys.com... although possible seems very unlikely and seriously if you are that stupid you may deserve some of whats coming at you.

Agree :)

And did Rick say 20 investors?, For so many investors, could the reason be to minimize the financial risk, knowing it could backfire? I think so.

Question; If the Dallas Cobwboys did not exist, would Cowboys.com sell for that high a price? I think the main reason it sold for what it did is the reason you clearly point out, they thought they could antagonize the Dallas Cowboys into buying it later.. But were beyond "Later, were at "Late" and investors are desperate..

As for adult oriented content degrading a domains value, for a generic name like this, I would agree, I think investors are overplaying their hand on this one, and time is not on their side.

And thanks for the vid!.. I like Rick, but he's a empty suit in that video.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back