IT.COM

advice Cost to value ratio for maybe/standby list

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reddstagg

The-Billionaire.comTop Member
Impact
Good afternoon.

I just thought that I would share a little piece of wisdom that I have picked up along my short journey.

Do you have a list of names that you wish to register or buy one day? Do you know the cost and potential appraised value for each one?

I've set up an Excel spreadsheet with my maybe/standby list and I spend a fair bit of time running each one through the Godaddy Appraisal tool. It is not perfect, but it can at least give an indication of which domain names are perceived to be more valuable than others.

The spreadsheet simply lists the cost to register/buy the domain name and the expected/appraised value. It is then simply a matter of dividing the value by the cost to purchase which simply gives you a cost to value ration.

Again, it is not exact science but it at least gives me an indication of which domain names I should be registering rather than registering something that is either too expensive of or not valuable enough.

For example, if two domains were registered and they cost $10 and $20 and were valued at $2,000 and $1,000 respectively then wee would be able to calculate the cost to value ratio for each as follows

www. DomainA.com - $2,000 / $10 = 200
www. DomainB.com - $1,000 / $20 = 50

In this instance we can see that the ratio of 200 is greater than 50 which means that DomainA would offer a potential better Return on Investment (RoI) than DomainB. The higher the number, the better the potential return.

It is not a foolproof system but it works for me and I'd love to hear your views or answer any questions that you may have.

Enjoy your journey.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
P.s...if anyone is even remotely interested I should have also included the following information:

I have a maybe/standby list which has 1,100 domain names on it.

The GD appraised value is roughly $543,000
The expected cost to register is $ 24,000
This gives a potential of a cost to value ratio of 22

There are many changing parameters so this can only ever be used as a guesstimated guide only.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Renewals and marketplace commissions need to be factored in. A 100-domain portfolio might only see one sale yearly such that any sale under $1250 @20% commissions would result in negative cash flow. Aggressive pricing might improve the sales ratio but may or may not improve cash flow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back