Dynadot

discuss Contacting Attorneys

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
I have a few legal domains I am considering doing outbound on.

Has anyone had any luck selling this type of domain, with outbound, to lawyers?

Also, do you think it is more risky contacting lawyers because of their profession?

I should mention all the domains I am talking about here are generic and not TM domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@biggie

Thanks, but yours was incoming.

I was wondering if contacting attorneys directly was a good idea considering what they do for a living and the general attitude they might have being contacted in the first place.

I was looking for someone who has contacted one or more attorneys before and what their experience was in dealing with them.

Hi

my point, which i guess was so in between the lines that a microscope may be needed to read it ;) , but:

i feel that if you have no issue with soliciting others , then why be tentative about soliciting the "legals"?

do you hesitate out of fear because they have the means and knowledge, to retaliate against you for soliciting?

if you feel what you're doing is legit, then why the concern?

reason for putting this to you like this, is so others can take the same "what if's" into consideration, prior to spamming others without thinking of possible consequences.

it's good you asked the question, so at least you're conscious of how the receivers may feel.

imo....

•••
If you have good keyword .net/.com, you can move them in the $350-$3K via outbound. Most attorneys/lawyers have more than 1 domain/website.

One of my "legal domain" sales includes JonesActLawyer.net ($3,500 via outbound).

Just make sure your opening email contains a price so you are not wasting your/their valuable time.

•••
Make sure they don't bill you per email you send them ;)

•••
Ive sold some Geo lawyer related domains in the past. nets and infos....

I sent them a letter via the US Postal service with priority. I wrote confidential on the big envelope in red ink. I included how many Google search results there were for that keyword domain name and his competitors on the 1st page of Google.

I also installed a lawyer WP theme on the domain to show him what it could look like.... I sold 4-5 domains a few years back this way and 2 of them paid me to redesign their website!

•••
Hi

if you're sending solicitations every day, then who you solicit, should be irrelevant.... since it's your job

however, i sold "www.chicagorealestateattorney.com" several years ago

via sedo, incoming offer.

Good Luck!

imo....

•••
Well the domains I am talking about are generic for example "divorce/attorney/com", which is not one of mine, but you get the point.
If you own a domain of that caliber, I think you should already be getting unsolicited offers from time to time. If you don't, either the name isn't that good, or it's possible that lawyers are not getting it. Then it's the wrong target group. Of course some industries are more difficult than others. We have to pick our niches carefully.

•••
Makes no difference at all. They are to be treated the same as any other lead.

•••
You reminded me why I gave up contacting lawyers years ago, I felt like I was on the witness standand convicted of murder. Here are a few questions they asked my Why does whois say client transfer prohibited,did you steal the name? How do I know you really own it? even though I said just call the phone listed in whois or shoot an email they didn't believe me.

A Lawyer, a missionary, and a priest went to heaven, at st Peters gate he took them to there new houses,
the Priest was dropped off at an old shack, the same with the missionary. St Peter brought the Lawyer to a beautiful Mansion up on a hill. The Lawyer asked why do I get such a nice place and they get to live in a dump. St Peter said, we have lots of priests and missionaries up here, but your our first Lawyer.

•••
There are few threads touching on the topic... overall they are probably not the easiest target.

•••
I think a divorce attorney would have trouble with the global reach of the inquiries from divorceattorney.com. I know it's just an example. But you get my point. They'd need offices all over the country, if not the world. IMHO. BostonDivorceAttorney.com would be infinitely better.
In this sense it's better, but overall DivorceAttorney sounds tons more solid than BostonDivorceAttorney.

And from simple business, marketing, and SEO point of view, if a divorce attorney from Boston takes a wise decision to invest in divorceattorney.com domain, it's very simple to implement geotargeting, so that all visitors from MA, plus all visitors who came from Boston or MA search queries, land on his business home page, and all other visitors land on a nice descriptive article of couple thousand words length about divorce law, and in the end of this article are served with Adsense ads or even affiliate offer leading them to a site of divorce attorney in his region, and this said smart attorney may get up to hundred bucks for each such lead.

•••
Cdomains

If you have good generics in the field, look for law firms and referral services that are already using generics and go after them. Alternately, look in a competitive geo market for firms that are not using generics, and point out local competitors who are.

Look specifically for firms that are spending money advertising online (SEMrush can give you a rough idea.) These firms either have a guy in the office who deals with that kind of thing, or are using an outside firm (to whom they might refer you.) Law firms are businesses, and as does any other type business they get peppered with calls, mails, walk-ins etc. from people who want to sell them stuff. Don't worry about "pissing off a law firm" via spam; worry about standing out from the other 57386584 people who contacted them this week trying to sell them everything from insurance to hand sanitiser for the lavatory.

Frank

•••
It's hit-or-miss.

If you are going to play in the 'legal' namespace, spend some money in the higher quality domains.

Many lawyers don't 'get' the internet, so it's a hard sell.

•••
I have never contacted an attorney about selling them a domain name, but John Berryhill has very negative thoughts about domainers trying to sell him domain names relative to his legal professional. He thinks he does just fine with the domain name he uses (if he even uses one). I think his opinion is probably widespread in his profession. For me personally, I'd go find some easier road to hoe. Like Dentists, perhaps :)

•••
It's hard to sell a domain to someone who doesn't value it. That's just all IMHO. As I've said. Best of luck with your sales.

•••
I am asking if others have done this and what their experience has been.
I have no luck in selling but the toughest part is going beyond front desk. If you have contact details of decision maker than the situation might be different. Anyways trying is not bad.

•••
I think a divorce attorney would have trouble with the global reach of the inquiries from divorceattorney.com. I know it's just an example. But you get my point. They'd need offices all over the country, if not the world. IMHO. BostonDivorceAttorney.com would be infinitely better.

•••
Yep. But they are not going to pay much, even if they were interested, because by nature, their business won't value the global leads. BostonDivorceAttorney.com is a much more significant name for them. IMHO :)

•••
Yes all the sales were in the 100-300$ region. Nothing spectacular. As for legal action I do not know what they would sue me for, I sent them an email and I am willing to do the "time" LOL

•••
In this sense it's better, but overall DivorceAttorney sounds tons more solid than BostonDivorceAttorney.

And from simple business, marketing, and SEO point of view, if a divorce attorney from Boston takes a wise decision to invest in divorceattorney.com domain, it's very simple to implement geotargeting, so that all visitors from MA, plus all visitors who came from Boston or MA search queries, land on his business home page, and all other visitors land on a nice descriptive article of couple thousand words length about divorce law, and in the end of this article are served with Adsense ads or even affiliate offer leading them to a site of divorce attorney in his region, and this said smart attorney may get up to hundred bucks for each such lead.

i suppose its knowing your market etc

i own privacylawyer.co.uk which suits me as the market is and or will be big enough for me to turn down initial offers etc because eventually there will be 1000's of them but just one decent one with the .co.uk which has been the standard in that country

and as i bought it at reg fee there is profit in it all day long but i may extend its renewal for 10 years and forget i own it for 9 of them until its time to renew it etc

but with domains including legal domains etc there is only one thing more annoying than not being able to afford a good quality domain - and thats being able to afford a legal domain and the owner of it not wanting or needing to sell lol {grins}

•••
Make sure they don't bill you per email you send them ;)

obviously that cost is added on to price of good quality legal domain etc {principles etc} allegedly

•••
obviously that cost is added on to price of good quality legal domain etc {principles etc} allegedly
Herein after referred to as "principle", therefore regarding matters of confusing words added to conversations that twist allocations of allegations around so often that Seller (herein after referred to as "seller") believes he is now the buyer. Sign here, here, and here. Thank you.

•••
Herein after referred to as "principle", therefore regarding matters of confusing words added to conversations that twist allocations of allegations around so often that Seller (herein after referred to as "seller") believes he is now the buyer. Sign here, here, and here. Thank you.

its no different to computers - in as much as back in the day not many could understand computer language so those fixing them charged a fortune - now pretty much anyone can fix them or knows someone that can

it wont be long before facebook ? google? or amazon? etc create an automated legal website thats free for anyone to use reference and research etc

•••
If you own legal domains, you are overthinking this one.

The first domain I sold (last month) was to a lawyer.

You can expect the following challenges:

1- privacy email, just like you may come across with any other potential end-user.
2- low counter, just like you may come across with any other outbound
3- no response, just like you would get with anyone else.

Simply comply with the CAN-SPAM act and you should be fine. And if you get a nasty email back, simply ignore it like you would one from anyone else.

I get pitched legal domains several times a month. Even before I decided to dedicate more time to this hobby, I wasn't ever offended by these pitches (people need to make a living, imo).

While I would admit that we have our share of "Arses", we're no different than any other arse.

•••
You reminded me why I gave up contacting lawyers years ago, I felt like I was on the witness standand convicted of murder. Here are a few questions they asked my Why does whois say client transfer prohibited,did you steal the name? How do I know you really own it? even though I said just call the phone listed in whois or shoot an email they didn't believe me.

That's not being on the witness stand. It's just lawyers doing due-diligence. It is also a waste of time after you've answered the question(s). I had a similar experience about 2 months ago. After I gave them the answers and links, I moved on and sold the name to someone else. As I said, lawyers are like any other prospective buyers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back