IT.COM

advice Considering making public my private kw/domain generator

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Been thinking about this for a while.

A good portion of my domains are actually hand regs (closing to a 2k portfolio). Anyway. I'm also a developer and dev work got me into domaining, actually. Over the time I've built a bunch of tools I'm currently using privately .

The interesting part is however the keyword generator I'm using for regs. I want to ask your opinion whether this can be turned out into a sellable product / SaaS. (I might make some less smart but very useful tools free as well).

My tool uses a lot of different modes depending on type of domain, and likely for different types of domainers (I do several different kinds myself).

For 5-6 digit domains, you can use VCVCV patterns etc, and find out what's not yet reg'd and start from there, matching EN keyword lists etc. There are also several nuance keyword lists where you can combine 1-2 nuance kw's with a niche kw (e.g. "amazing"+"domains"). There is also a mode using existing bidding data and kw to find new domains. Finally there is a modifier mode, where the keyword gets some suffix and/or preffix to generate a new form (e.g "domain" -> "domaining"). There are other modes as well and some modifier to each mode above.

Would you see a tool like this having potential for domainers/ for you?

As a side note (to make the workflow more understandable), I'm feeding it short batches of say 100 base money keywords, e.g. "crypto" or "CBD" (not necessarily these) and whatever got my attention that day (note, sometimes I revisit previously used kw). Then the tool starts crunching and it shortly spits out roughly 50-100,000 free domains from such a list (.com, 99% of what I do are coms, but you can use any tld of course). Then it checks for availability and provides a report with anything free (tens of thousands, usually). It has the ability to check that number fast.

I then usually reg a few tens of them (not more), it depends, but I know I am still leaving a lot on the table.

I would add as an end note, whoever says everything .com is regd is mistaken. $90K domains, maybe, but $3k domains are yet to be snatched - and in large numbers.

Yes, 99.x% ARE indeed taken but this tool is designed to find that 0.0x% still remaining. I admit it would be otherwise close to impossible to spot a meaningful number of them. But they still are there for the taking. And whenever i'm in a zone where most are regged, I become extra careful and filter everything closely, as this tells me I'm closing on target(s). And there's always something that can later be sold for a decent amount (for me that is usually $2k+).

So - is it worth making public, or not?

Advice appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds interesting, I'd take it for a spin if you decide to release it.

•••
There are many domain generators out there but if you want to develop it publicly you can.

•••
There are many domain generators out there...

Correct. However I have observed that many aren't optimal, and I believe that is because those developers are just developers. It's one thing to build based on feedback, and another from actually being a domainer.

I believe designing this right requires 3 talents in a single person : entrepreneur with experience, domainer and developer. Been doing these for a couple decades (except domaining which is recent) so I guess I'm in a suitable position to offer something better.

•••
If it does the job, and does it well - it should be better not to make it public. Use it yourself. If it becomes public - then whatever exclusivity it has will become irrelevant... At least for more-or-less "trending" keywords. Even if a dozen or so domainers will become regular users - an outcome for each of them would be close to zero. The last but not the least, competing generators (who are monetizing via affiliate links of GoDaddy and the like) will check and reverse engineer your generator to improve theirs.
Just imho...

•••
If it does the job, and does it well - it should be better not to make it public. Use it yourself. If it becomes public - then whatever exclusivity it has will become irrelevant... At least for more-or-less "trending" keywords. Even if a dozen or so domainers will become regular users - an outcome for each of them would be close to zero. The last but not the least, competing generators (who are monetizing via affiliate links of GoDaddy and the like) will check and reverse engineer your generator to improve theirs.
Just imho...

Great points here. Didn't realize it, but you're right.

I'm scaling my domain business anyway, and there are some distinct, small but neat features that make it efficient right now. And in the kw gen world, it's extremely easy to copy something. It would probably be far more lucrative to actually register the lucrative domains output, hold on to them and sell over time.

I belive yours is the correct answer.

•••
As nice as it would be to have access to I agree it's best kept to yourself.

•••
Been thinking about this for a while.

A good portion of my domains are actually hand regs (closing to a 2k portfolio). Anyway. I'm also a developer and dev work got me into domaining, actually. Over the time I've built a bunch of tools I'm currently using privately .

The interesting part is however the keyword generator I'm using for regs. I want to ask your opinion whether this can be turned out into a sellable product / SaaS. (I might make some less smart but very useful tools free as well).

My tool uses a lot of different modes depending on type of domain, and likely for different types of domainers (I do several different kinds myself).

For 5-6 digit domains, you can use VCVCV patterns etc, and find out what's not yet reg'd and start from there, matching EN keyword lists etc. There are also several nuance keyword lists where you can combine 1-2 nuance kw's with a niche kw (e.g. "amazing"+"domains"). There is also a mode using existing bidding data and kw to find new domains. Finally there is a modifier mode, where the keyword gets some suffix and/or preffix to generate a new form (e.g "domain" -> "domaining"). There are other modes as well and some modifier to each mode above.

Would you see a tool like this having potential for domainers/ for you?

As a side note (to make the workflow more understandable), I'm feeding it short batches of say 100 base money keywords, e.g. "crypto" or "CBD" (not necessarily these) and whatever got my attention that day (note, sometimes I revisit previously used kw). Then the tool starts crunching and it shortly spits out roughly 50-100,000 free domains from such a list (.com, 99% of what I do are coms, but you can use any tld of course). Then it checks for availability and provides a report with anything free (tens of thousands, usually). It has the ability to check that number fast.

I then usually reg a few tens of them (not more), it depends, but I know I am still leaving a lot on the table.

I would add as an end note, whoever says everything .com is regd is mistaken. $90K domains, maybe, but $3k domains are yet to be snatched - and in large numbers.

Yes, 99.x% ARE indeed taken but this tool is designed to find that 0.0x% still remaining. I admit it would be otherwise close to impossible to spot a meaningful number of them. But they still are there for the taking. And whenever i'm in a zone where most are regged, I become extra careful and filter everything closely, as this tells me I'm closing on target(s). And there's always something that can later be sold for a decent amount (for me that is usually $2k+).

So - is it worth making public, or not?

Advice appreciated, thanks!

the only domain-generator you will ever need is
@ThatNameGuy

•••
•••
I would keep it yourself , if it generates you profits, keep it to yourself.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back