NameSilo

question Company wants to buy my social username

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
This is the first time that happens to me, a company has offered me $ 400 for one of my username in one of the social communities, I don't know why I think they are willing to pay even more...

what do you think I sell?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Adding new handles to your account does not make old/less used handles available.

How exactly do you do that? Aren't you confusing adding handles to an account with adding accounts to a twitter app?

•••
How exactly do you do that? Aren't you confusing adding handles to an account with adding accounts to a twitter app?
No, via the app you can add as many handles as you want. They each have their own point of contact but are changeable with a few clicks. As an example, I have @cbdwater, @wedomain, @UStoken, @ lots of handles. All in a neat package that doesn’t require new login to switch back and forth.

•••
•••
•••
I also consider those usernames like domain names, when new platforms launch i.e byte.co I try to get usernames matching my online ventures just to be safe :)

•••
The sale isn’t on the seller, it’s on whoever holds the bag. I wouldn’t want to pay thousands and have twitter pull my handle due to tos violations.

I didn't say the sale was on the seller. People have been selling handles for years and it will continue to happen. There are many ways to facilitate a sale and no one announces their sale, Twitter can't even stop hate speech, returning stolen id's they never catching sales unless someone advertising it in a big way.

•••
In some case I’m wrong, in some you’re wrong. Lots of social media presences make millions a year by tweeting to their followers. Domains aren’t involved in that earned income.

Sure, it is possible. But not smart. They could have as well built their domain where all the goodwill would be collected as well from those social media accounts.

My strategy is that my domain/website is the primary asset. Then I create social media accounts with the purpose of building community there, but also driving them to the website and building separate independent community there, including mail list, comments, if applicable etc.

Just to illustrate, for my Elix project compare twitter.com/elix that is not mine and created in 2008 with 150 followers with twitter.com/elixcom, which is mine, was created 10 years later and with 395 followers that I will grow into hundreds of thousands.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back