IT.COM

question Company wants to buy my social username

NameSilo
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
This is the first time that happens to me, a company has offered me $ 400 for one of my username in one of the social communities, I don't know why I think they are willing to pay even more...

what do you think I sell?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, cool! Reply with a counteroffer if you think it's worth more to you.

•••
Wow, cool! Reply with a counteroffer if you think it's worth more to you.

Not too much, i mean, not every day you see someone offer that, so..like domain.. you need it, you pay the right price I think

•••
What site is the handle attached to? On Twitter for example, it’s against TOS to sell handles, aka usernames.

•••
Social media handles and domain names have a lot in common. People want an exact match whenever possible and are sometimes willing to pay a premium to get it.

What site is the handle attached to? On Twitter for example, it’s against TOS to sell handles, aka usernames.

This is true. But couldn't I offer you some money to change your username on Twitter? The moment you change your username, the old one becomes available immediately to anyone else to get.

•••
rice to.. 750...i reply.. 2000

•••
The moment you change your username, the old one becomes available immediately to anyone else to get.
Fake news.

I have about 15 twitter handles. You simply add usernames to your existing account. All are viewable and easily changed with a few clicks. It’s actually very hard to obtain a handle once it’s taken. Twitter rarely releases them back for newcomers.

•••

never knew that!

I had some guy constantly contacting me telling me they "Secured" the EMD social handle on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.

lol

Pretty good hustle. Just get a fresh daily list of domains registered and then register the social handles because you know they probably depending on the domain will need it.

never knew it was against TOS for Twitter. how about others?

it is illegal to register handles on Twitter for the express intent to sell. is there a loophole if someone out of the blue reaches out to want to buy a handle?

especially when the current owner never made any visible effort to sell it?

there are tons of services online the sell Twitter handles in bulk.

•••
never knew that!

I had some guy constantly contacting me telling me they "Secured" the EMD social handle on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.

lol

Pretty good hustle. Just get a fresh daily list of domains registered and then register the social handles because you know they probably depending on the domain will need it.

never knew it was against TOS for Twitter. how about others?

it is illegal to register handles on Twitter for the express intent to sell. is there a loophole if someone out of the blue reaches out to want to buy a handle?

especially when the current owner never made any visible effort to sell it?

there are tons of services online the sell Twitter handles in bulk.

What i can say...is not twitter

•••
Fake news.

I have about 15 twitter handles. You simply add usernames to your existing account. All are viewable and easily changed with a few clicks. It’s actually very hard to obtain a handle once it’s taken. Twitter rarely releases them back for newcomers.

Hmm, Keith. I know it's hard to get a handle that someone else already has, even if they haven't logged in for years, but I do think once someone changes their handle, the old handle goes back to being available, maybe even immediately? I just checked, and two of the Twitter names I changed over the past couple months are available again. Maybe we should test it?

•••
If he accepts my counter offer or approaches, I will have a good Saturday...oh lord

•••
Hmm, Keith. I know it's hard to get a handle that someone else already has, even if they haven't logged in for years, but I do think once someone changes their handle, the old handle goes back to being available, maybe even immediately? I just checked, and two of the Twitter names I changed over the past couple months are available again. Maybe we should test it?
You must be deleting your old handle or replacing it. I’d not recommend that. Simply add a new one and keep all the old just in case.

From Twitter -

Username squatting policy
Username squatting is prohibited by the Twitter Rules.

Attempts to sell, buy, or solicit other forms of payment in exchange for usernames are also violations and may result in permanent account suspension.

•••
I've made a $500 offer on a handle and was denied. I have purchased a handle for 2 NFL game tickets and another one for a single $65 concert ticket.

However, I know of at least 2 tech Twitter bros that purchased their handles for $5k (common name) and $20k (2 letter).

No social network allows you to sell them, but they won't know if it's between a couple people. If you were to start a site/service that sells, or even included free in a sale, Twitter is known to take legal action.

It is basically instantaneous. Buyer and seller normally connect on a chat app, once the seller changes his handle, the buyer hits create account.

•••
It is basically instantaneous. Buyer and seller normally connect on a chat app, once the seller changes his handle, the buyer hits create account.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. Not fake news. :)

The moment you change your username, the old one becomes available immediately to anyone else to get.

•••
One of my buyer who bought domain from me asked me if I had same name on FB, Twitter and IG. I did not. If I had, I will give the buyer free. Since then I try to create same name on domain with high price. Its good option you can offer the buyer (end user). Its like just selling the whole company with many asset.

•••
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. Not fake news. :)
It’s misleading in the fact that you must delete the handle in order for it to become available. Adding new handles to your account does not make old/less used handles available.

Why you would choose to delete a handle is beyond me. I just counted and I have have 27 active usernames. Zero reason to delete any.

•••
It’s misleading in the fact that you must delete the handle in order for it to become available. Adding new handles to your account does not make old/less used handles available.

Why you would choose to delete a handle is beyond me. I just counted and I have have 27 active usernames. Zero reason to delete any.

Wow! That's a lot of usernames. How would you handle the situation if a company was offering you $5k to give up one of them?

•••
Wow! That's a lot of usernames. How would you handle the situation if a company was offering you $5k to give up one of them?
They’re all attached to my domains so without the domain purchase, the handle wouldn’t be available. It’s a matter of complying to say, as part of this domain sale, the active social media account is included.

•••
Don't care about exact match social media handles. They add close to zero value.

But, some do value it, so all the power to them. Don't risk deleting it. If there is not much valuable stuff there, like followers etc. in thousands, just pass it to the person as is with personal info changed.

Last edited:
•••
what is the best place to get the money... that is a problem.

•••
Don't care about exact match social media handles. They add close to zero value.
Meanwhile you’d take @domains in the blink of an eye. Perspective is key and to each brand the right social media handle can be invaluable.

•••
what is the best place to get the money... that is a problem...escrow. but.. how?

•••
•••
Meanwhile you’d take @domains in the blink of an eye. Perspective is key and to each brand the right social media handle can be invaluable.

Why would it be invaluable? I know many put more value on this than on a great domain, but it is just plain vanity. There is virtually no type-in traffic, the platforms know how to factor in other parameters in search, like username, verified accounts, geo, popularity etc.

It is definitely nice to have and if it is available, i'd go for it, but if /rightbrand is not available (which it wasn't of course), I just go for /rightbrandcom which I did...

•••
Just attach a domain to it and sell it that way thru a service you trust

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back