IT.COM

discuss .Com Domain Market Dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

StartupNames

Upgraded Member
Impact
With so many extensions available for as less as 2 dollars hand registration, is the .COM living on borrowed time? In 10-15 years time will .LIFE be the same as .COM in valuation? Or is the .COM living on borrowed time just now...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.TOP is not top when it comes to most abused domain extensions, but 6th is still pretty impressive.

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

.TOP
Badness Index: 1.56
Bad domains: (18.5%)

.COM
Badness Index: 0.42
Bad domains: (3.4%)
According to the same source, the most abused TLD is .com as you can see here:

upload_2021-5-3_14-24-57.png

https://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/809/spamhaus-botnet-threat-update-q1-2021

For Q1 2021, the gTLD .com remains at the top of our rankings. A large majority of botnet C&C domains that Spamhaus Malware Labs identified were hosted on this TLD.

Literally .com is not top but in this sad list it is top.

•••
According to the same source, the most abused TLD is .com as you can see here:

Show attachment 189359

https://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/809/spamhaus-botnet-threat-update-q1-2021

Literally .com is not top but in this sad list it is top.

.COM is an extension with around 150x as many registrations as .TOP. Comparing the total numbers is silly.

You can also see .COM is -27% where .TOP is +90%.

.top & .xyz: These two gTLDs have a long history of abuse, and it’s not surprising that they continue to be in the Top 5, particularly when .top had a 90% increase in the number of botnet C&Cs it hosted in Q1 2021. :xf.grin:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
.COM is an extension with around 150x as many registrations as .TOP.

Comparing the total numbers is silly.

Brad
Tell that Spamhaus.

However, fact is that .com is not top and clearly the most abused TLD of all TLDs.

.top on the other side is top and clearly not the most abused TLD of all TLDs.

•••
Tell that Spamhaus.

However, fact is that .com is not top and clearly the most abused TLD of all TLDs.

.top on the other side is top and clearly not the most abused TLD of all TLDs.

I have to give you credit for still being around.

You have been on the forum for almost six years now flogging .TOP.

Even as .TOP registrations have collapsed, and it has become completely irrelevant when it comes to aftermarket sales, you still have faith.

top_sad.jpg

Normally by this point people would have moved on. I guess sometimes it is hard to let go.

Brad

•••

Even as .TOP registrations have collapsed, and it has become completely irrelevant when it comes to aftermarket sales, you still have faith.

Show attachment 189360

Normally by this point people would have moved on. I guess sometimes it is hard to let go.

Brad
Thanks.

The reason for that is simply the fact that .top is top.
In opposite to the fact that .com is not top.
Thus, I don't need to care about any numbers in this context.

So obviously it is not something which makes it hard to let go - it is something which makes it easy to stay.

upload_2021-5-3_16-3-22.png

The figure shows the literal status of .top / .com across height and time.

Last edited:
•••
With so many extensions available for as less as 2 dollars hand registration, is the .COM living on borrowed time?

Funny.

"Less than two dollars" is irrelevant but also incorrect. The renewal fee?

In 10-15 years time will .LIFE be the same as .COM in valuation?

In 15 years there will be no LIFE.

The world will end in 12 years.
AOC

•••
The most funny thing here is watching .com trying to be top.

•••

Brad

It's a signal that we should start thinking about accepting a new way of earning $ … if he can earn $ by promoting .top (registry) , how much $ we can get from the .sucks registry? How about suing the .com Verisign for not paying us for all the promo we’re doing for decades?

•••
… if he can earn $ by promoting .top (registry) ...
I do not (need to) get paid by .top (registry), my merit(s) is (are) a certain .top domain name(s) that I was able to register at the time I found out that .top is top and that .com is not top.

Last edited:
•••
.....> (.)top > > >

..........m .
.........o...c
........c.....o
> .com.......m .com > > >

Symbolic illustration of .com trying to be top in comparison to .top which is top.

Last edited:
•••
With so many extensions available for as less as 2 dollars hand registration, is the .COM living on borrowed time? In 10-15 years time will .LIFE be the same as .COM in valuation? Or is the .COM living on borrowed time just now...
.Com isn't DEAD yet, but it is DYING according to it's guardian Verisign:xf.wink:

.Online is on deck:xf.grin:

•••
Last edited:
•••
.Com isn't DEAD yet, but it is DYING according to it's guardian Verisign

What are you talking about?

To begin with, Verisign is not interested in the quality of registered names in .com and .net. It's all about quantity. Verisign wants to be able to fulfill their role as com/net registry operator as long as possible and wants to sell as many domain names as possible during that period, with the highest possible margins. And because there is the possibility that another party will be appointed to fulfill this task in the future, they are also actively exploring other TLDs to manage alongside.

Verisign does not make any claims about what you're saying above (would be stupid), and I would appreciate if you could present your source for this.

What is reported in the Q1/2021 Earnings call by Verisign is the following:

Corp PPT Template - General Use - Q1-2021 Earnings Slides Final pdf - 001.png

Corp PPT Template - General Use - Q1-2021 Earnings Slides Final pdf - 002.png

Corp PPT Template - General Use - Q1-2021 Earnings Slides Final pdf - 003.png

Corp PPT Template - General Use - Q1-2021 Earnings Slides Final pdf - 004.png

Last edited:
•••
I was testing domains on BODIS and by looking at the traffic the top ones are one word domains in other extensions and some rare 2 word domains with .com and.org based on this my advice to beginners.
Do not buy allot of .com domains but instead buy one word in other extensions!
As my US friend say all the jewels with .com, .net and .org were taken until 2000 year.
P.s. if someone try to defend this 3 popular TLD's they most likely work at Verisign and other registrars that pay them to spread fairy tales.
Update: also we can see that .com is increasing in registered domains, but believe me this are end users hand registering them, cause they think they will get rich, something which i have think in the beginning.

Last edited:
•••

To begin with, Verisign is not interested in the quality of registered names in .com and .net. It's all about quantity. Verisign wants to be able to fulfill their role as com/net registry operator as long as possible and wants to sell as many domain names as possible during that period, with the highest possible margins. And because there is the possibility that another party will be appointed to fulfill this task in the future, they are also actively exploring other TLDs to manage alongside.

Verisign does not make any claims about what you're saying above (would be stupid), and I would appreciate if you could present your source for this.

Show attachment 189441
Show attachment 189442
Show attachment 189443
Show attachment 189444

Domain Coach.....obviously you didn't read this;

In legal documents released by ICANN yesterday, Verisign’s lawyers say: “The undisputed evidence is that Verisign needs a TLD like .WEB for growth given the decreased name availability in .COM

Verisign was telling the TRUTH when they trashed the entire secondary market of the domain industry, and they're telling the TRUTH about decreased name availability in .COM.

What part of this don't you understand Coach? Then ask yourself why DomainCoach.com has been hoarded for over twenty years, and it's just NOT AVAILABLE in .COM:xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
I was testing domains on BODIS and by looking at the traffic the top ones are one word domains in other extensions and some rare 2 word domains with .com and.org based on this my advice to beginners.
As my US friend say all the jewels with .com, .net and .org were taken until 2000 year.
P.s. if someone try to defend this 3 popular TLD's they most likely work at Verisign and other registrars that pay them to spread fairy tales.
Update: also we can see that .com is increasing in registered domains, but believe me this are end users hand registering them, cause they think they will get rich, something which i have think in the beginning.
Don't put much stock in how much traffic names are getting, regardless of extension. Most of it is not organic.

The surest way to see what types of names sell best is to check aftermarket sales reports. While I agree that single word new gTLD names can be good investments, the same is also true of names in legacy extensions. As always, the key is picking the right names at the right prices.

•••

Start here

•••
It's a signal that we should start thinking about accepting a new way of earning $ … if he can earn $ by promoting .top (registry) , how much $ we can get from the .sucks registry? How about suing the .com Verisign for not paying us for all the promo we’re doing for decades?

I think they call it reparations.online:xf.smile: Mines coming(y)

•••

In legal documents released by ICANN yesterday, Verisign’s lawyers say: “The undisputed evidence is that Verisign needs a TLD like .WEB for growth given the decreased name availability in .COM

Verisign was telling the TRUTH when they trashed the entire secondary market of the domain industry, and they're telling the TRUTH about decreased name availability in .COM.

What part of this don't you understand Coach? Then ask yourself why DomainCoach.com has been hoarded for over twenty years, and it's just NOT AVAILABLE in .COM:xf.rolleyes:

You're easily impressed by legal documents. For your convenience, please read the following articles to get up to speed with fellow domainers.

http://domainincite.com/26561-verisign-says-it-needs-web-because-com-is-running-out-of-names

https://www.circleid.com/posts/20210218-busting-domain-name-secondary-market-myths/

Last edited:
•••
•••
Looks like .Com is doing fine to me. :xf.grin:

Show attachment 189440
.com will (can) never reach the top status, no matter how many registrations are there.
No numbers can change this.
Only 3 letters, in the right order - but these are used by .top already (in the right order) which means there is no chance for .com to become top.

•••

Show attachment 189441
Show attachment 189442
Show attachment 189443
Show attachment 189444
Thanks for your statement and reported numbers, but you should consider that Versign's TLDs got all topped.
In this point, quantity doesn't help.
Only (top) quality (of the TLD).

•••
Thanks for your statement and reported numbers, but you should consider that Versign's TLDs got all topped.
In this point, quantity doesn't help.
Only (top) quality (of the TLD).

Thank you for your contribution. I really don't know what to answer to this, but just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you. Best wishes.

•••
Why bother with TLDs from Verisign in these times?
They aren't top and will never be!

Last edited:
•••

And the truth behind the .web fog is that Verisigin's ambitions with .web won't change anything in regards to the circumstance that none of their TLDs are (literally) top.
The best example is .com but also .net and .org (and of course .tv) are good examples.
Soon, .web will be their latest example.

Last edited:
•••
Back