NameSilo

.co.uk is it worth it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

floatingworld

dawnofthefloatingworldVIP Member
Impact
There have been a number of recent postings from domainers having trouble transferring .co.uk domains. It has been pointed out 'you MUST do a paper transfer costing £35.25'. Surely this must seriously constrain all speculation with this extension unless of prime quality.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if i knew the trouble I'd have i would never of bought it,Great for scammers though

•••
no such problems transferring domains in the UK.. If you change going via Nominet then 'yes' these fees apply...

If you regged with lowcostnames, 1&1, reg123 then a push costs nothing....

Dispute policy for .co.uk is by far the best in the world. Arbritration first whereby Nominet appoints an independant negotiator for free and tries to negotiate any applicable sale for you... Saves paying Sedo... ;)

•••
Hi Badger, I am based in the UK and as I stated in another post I had an absolute nightmare selling my .co.uk name - I didn't register the name direct with Nominet I think I used 1&1 (I think :| ?? ). Anyway Nominet do get directly involved with any .co.uk and you do have to do the push with a piece of paper where both parties have to sign which comes from and ends up at Nominet. I am not sure about the arbitration service as the customer approached me directly. I think they are intending to get rid of the paper push system soon though and replace it with a web based one - this will probably improve things 100%

In my opinion If you intend to resell a co.uk I would say only get the best ones IMHO.

•••
.co.uk isn't great for resale. I only have one myself whcih I bouhgt for a package

•••
auntystatic said:
Hi Badger, I am based in the UK and as I stated in another post I had an absolute nightmare selling my .co.uk name - I didn't register the name direct with Nominet I think I used 1&1 (I think :| ?? ). Anyway Nominet do get directly involved with any .co.uk and you do have to do the push with a piece of paper where both parties have to sign which comes from and ends up at Nominet. I am not sure about the arbitration service as the customer approached me directly. I think they are intending to get rid of the paper push system soon though and replace it with a web based one - this will probably improve things 100%

In my opinion If you intend to resell a co.uk I would say only get the best ones IMHO.

Sorry to hear of your problems Mike.. I have sold just over 100 .co.uk names now and, although i have to complete a fax asking the registrar to push the name, no admin was needed on the part of the buyer, nominet was never involved and it cost nothing..

Simply open a new account at the registrar on behalf of the buyer and then carry out the push procedure detailed above.. I tend to commence this before finalising the payment details and push the domain to the new acct. So as soon as payment is received i just give him the password to his acct.

•••
Badger said:
Sorry to hear of your problems Mike.. I have sold just over 100 .co.uk names now and, although i have to complete a fax asking the registrar to push the name, no admin was needed on the part of the buyer, nominet was never involved and it cost nothing..

Simply open a new account at the registrar on behalf of the buyer and then carry out the push procedure detailed above.. I tend to commence this before finalising the payment details and push the domain to the new acct. So as soon as payment is received i just give him the password to his acct.

Well, ok Badger... maybe I might give it another go some time in the future and see if I have a different experience. Its worth a go I suppose as there is some good margin to be made :)

•••
Thankfully I got that resolved.....I pushed one of my accounts in lowcostnames.co.uk to another registra and have the buyer the lowcostnames account.

It was very, easy this way.....after finding out of course in the meantime I was playing tag.

Woo, finally!

•••
your not wrong re: margin

I see on afternic gdp.co.uk is up for $500 (ish ) thus being £250.....

Jeepers, if i wasnt so laden down with domains at the mo, id leap at that name...

gross domestic product..... Buzz phrase of the millenia or wha....?

•••
Agreed - that is a top name. .co.uk market is strong!

•••
I sold southbeachdiet.co.uk it was a bit of trouble getting it fiqured out but.....

:bingo:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back