Dynadot

Is this a legitimate GoDaddy billing error?

NameSilo
Watch

Callmejohn

Established Member
Impact
I just received an “urgent” email about a one letter .Esq extension domain that I purchased. Can anyone tell me if this sounds legit? Does this happen? Sender is [email protected]

“This is to inform you that there was an error in your recent purchase of the domain name listed below that allowed you to purchase the domain(s) for the standard cost of $31.99 per year. This is a premium domain(s) and the cost per year is $1,688.99.

D.ESQ

The pricing issue has now been fixed to reflect the correct cost per year so when the renewal comes up on this domain name(s) it will be at the premium rate.“

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
I would not email to this address with such an issue as described above.
I find that you get more complete responses from this team and it could well be legitimate email given that they are not asking for money now, merely advising the next renewal will be very high.

If that is a legitimate email from GD, then they are absolutely the people to clarify what's going on. If it's not then they'll just confirm it's a scam and send him on his way.

•••
Hi @Callmejohn

Can't say if your email is really originating from GoDaddy. You have to investigate the full email headers for this.

GoDaddy is incredibly expensive. Renewing (transferring) your exact domain through Porkbun.com costs $1,418.57. Make sure to move your domain away from GoDaddy for New gTLDs if you plan to renew anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Without anymore details, it sounds like there was a glitch in your favor. As long as they are not asking you to send money or pay X, sounds like you won. Just note the next year renewal cost.

•••
Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback, it makes more sense now. I am closing this now after forwarding the email to the suggested email address.

•••
We’re able to confirm that this email is legitimate and that it was sent by GoDaddy. As the email says, there was a pricing error, and we’d encourage you to work with the [email protected] team if you have any questions about this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back