Dynadot

Choosing a Sellable Domain name

NameSilo
Watch

Pinksie

Impact
hello!
Im a beginner and would like to knoe the process of choosing a domain name that sells! Ive bought a few but have sold none so want to know if it is really worth it to continue in this business or not? Mayb i need to
Learn some procedures.. can u expersts advise?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hello!
Im a beginner and would like to knoe the process of choosing a domain name that sells! Ive bought a few but have sold none so want to know if it is really worth it to continue in this business or not? Mayb i need to

Thanks

Hi Pinksie,

That's the most important question a newbie can ask! "choosing a domain name that sells" .. I'm a little busy right now but I'm sure many experts here at NamePros will give you useful tips soon.

•••
Hi Pinksie,

That's the most important question a newbie can ask! "choosing a domain name that sells" .. I'm a little busy right now but I'm sure many experts here at NamePros will give you useful tips soon.

If and when you get the time please give hour set of opinion too!! I need proper expertir advise!!
Thanks

•••
read thru "domains wanted" section and go back 5 > 10 years at least

perhaps then, you'll get an idea of what others are looking to buy

then read some of the "domains for sale" threads and see what isn't selling.

Good Luck!

•••
read thru "domains wanted" section and go back 5 > 10 years at least

perhaps then, you'll get an idea of what others are looking to buy

then read some of the "domains for sale" threads and see what isn't selling.

Good Luck!

Thanks but then what is ur experience? I wud appreciate that rather than just reading .. seems like all want to help but no oke talk about the facts
I definitely will read what you ve mentioned but personal experiences help!
Thanks

•••
i could lie, like anybody on the street

while the proof is in the pudding

imo....

•••
Welcome to the forum Pinksie!

Let's get right to your question. But first, you'll need to ask yourself what your goals are. The domain name market consists of many sub markets. For example there are brandable domains, liquid domains, emd domains, etc.

It is critical that you have goals and a plan and a clear budget. Your plan, goals and budget, if realistic, should help guide your investments.

Probably the most important advice I can give you is to watch the domains that are selling each day. A good source of that information is Namebio.com. In a short amount of time you will hopefully have a command of what certain domains sell for. This should help you decide whether or not a domain should be registered and if there is room to profit on resale.

Basically, it's a complex question with no simple answer. Without knowing what domains you have purchased, what your budget is, and other factors, it's hard to advise you much more than this.

•••
Go infront of a mirror. Try selling each domain to yourself. Tell the mirror what can be done with the domain and why you should buy them. Then answer your questions. If you see a satisfactory face in the mirror, you can keep those domains.

•••
Put a domain in "Auction" and watch how it goes.

•••
Analyze reported sales. You need to understand what kinds of names do sell.

•••
Thanks but then what is ur experience? I wud appreciate that rather than just reading .. seems like all want to help but no oke talk about the facts
Thanks

so you don't want to do any research, you just want us to tell you what to do?

If we told you how to play hockey, you would understand how to play... but you wouldn't be very good at it. Need to practice

Last edited:
•••
Thanks
The question u have asked may seem to be simple to u, but the answer is not that simple that it would fit in a box here.
Domaining is vast. Yes, personal experiences help and this whole NP site is full of personal experiences. Just read

Last edited:
•••
Welcome to the forum Pinksie!

Let's get right to your question. But first, you'll need to ask yourself what your goals are. The domain name market consists of many sub markets. For example there are brandable domains, liquid domains, emd domains, etc.

It is critical that you have goals and a plan and a clear budget. Your plan, goals and budget, if realistic, should help guide your investments.

Probably the most important advice I can give you is to watch the domains that are selling each day. A good source of that information is Namebio.com. In a short amount of time you will hopefully have a command of what certain domains sell for. This should help you decide whether or not a domain should be registered and if there is room to profit on resale.

Basically, it's a complex question with no simple answer. Without knowing what domains you have purchased, what your budget is, and other factors, it's hard to advise you much more than this.

Hey!!
Thank u for this!! Thing is that id like to begin with flipping small investments.. i hv bought some already and i think they are good but i have not sold any yet:( so the question is i dont think they r good enough, what to do now?

Money for now isnt such a problem the guarantee lf sale is!!

Its very nice you hv mentioned the types of domains there are i just knew about liquid and normal domains not any other..
i will practice watching what sells definitely!! Thanks

•••
so you don't want to do any research, you just want us to tell you what to do?

If we told you how to play hockey, you would understand how to play... but you wouldn't be very good at it. Need to practice
i could lie, like anybody on the street

while the proof is in the pudding

imo....

Should i imo you? Is that ehat you mean?

•••
Go infront of a mirror. Try selling each domain to yourself. Tell the mirror what can be done with the domain and why you should buy them. Then answer your questions. If you see a satisfactory face in the mirror, you can keep those domains.

Hi there. Good view point, but doesnt help and ill tell you why..
Bcoz i have bought these domains that i think could be sold but they arent being sold, so it isnt practically good enough:(

Please suggest any other advice:)

•••
Bcoz i have bought these domains that i think could be sold but they arent being sold, so it isnt practically good enough:(

1. domainsherpa, watch all the review
2. namebio , everyweek look at what happened the last week.
3. Godaddy auctions, use expireddomains to follow auctions with high number of bids; ask yourself why 'the high nos of bids'.
4. Play money. In the beginning you will loose @ 95% chance, and even if you win the first time you still have not learnt ... what you need is experience and that only comes from loosing. Drew of Mediaoptions claimed to have lost several hundred thousands, today he's brokering six figa domains.
5. Dedicate your waking life. You can't succeed at anything with half hearted attempts and plan b's. See Drew again .. and all the guys making big bank.. domaining is their 9 -5 .
6. But, if you looking for quick money try the lotto or craps tables. This business is about skills and intuition, 1 - 5 will help you build it.

•••
......Bcoz i have bought these domains that i think could be sold but they arent being sold, .....
You thought they would be sold, but they aren't till now, that does not mean they won't :xf.smile: But what made you think they will be sold instantly? :xf.smile: There are domainers who hold domains for multiple years and then get a sale :xf.smile: It is not that the whole inventory of a domainer has to be sold, read more in this forum and try to figure out what percent of one's purchase is sold. :xf.smile:

•••
Domainers are a funny bunch. There are millions of domains for sale right now (but few buyers). Somebody should explain to me why domainers expect that their domains will sell (fast !), while there are so many other domains on the market.

Last edited:
•••
Domainers are a funny bunch. There are millions of domains for sale right now (but few buyers). Somebody should explain to me why domainers expect that their domains will sell (fast !), while there are so many other domains on the market.

Their are millions of companies on the NYSE, FTSE and NIKKEI, yet billions of dollars a made each year, buying and selling the same stock albeit at different prices.

Now you know why "domainers expect that their domains will sell" !

•••

@Pinksie Hi... I believe we have something in common here, I also have bought domains but are'nt being sold. Tried put to all marketplace but no one bidding.
Its very frustated until I ended up here at NP looking for the answer by reading every thread.
I found one good thread to coup this answer telling sell domain as a new domainer is PATIENCE.. its a virtue and there is lots of thread advicing how to do and not to do for new domainer.
So I believe somehow & someday my domain will be sold... yeah someday... the buyer is out there , just need time to find it.
Its like a learning curve even the succesfull member here had same experience at start.
And for now will visiting NP more often, to learn & practice from member here.

Sorry I just share my thought here but if I can give you my advice is build site for domain you just bought, once it has a traffic you can sell it.

•••
@Pinksie Hi...
I found PATIENCE.. its a virtue

:)

excuse me for editing your quote, but to the root of this, is patience.

and if you have found it and know it to be a virtue, then succeed you may, in the long run.

majority of newbies don't have it, as it's exhibited by their expectations.

they ignore the fact that many of the people they admire, often hold their names for years before selling

while the newbie thinks they can register today and sell tomorrow.

there's a lot in between this and that, that newbs don't have time or the patience to delve into.

it's a big pool, and it ain't all shallow water.

imo....

•••
My advise is if your just starting out stick to the following
- expired names (if someone registered it in the past it may have been developed or the owner may want it again or someone else will want it again)
- until your an expert stick to .coms
-try to find liquid names for cheap (ie 4 letter.com for around $200) or one word domains
-aged domains more than 10 years old
-domains with some existing traffic
-nothing too long or too strange - Incomprehensibilities.com is a one word english name but its not common and way too long

if your next purchase meets all these criteria I think you could do well. if you really hunt and stay on top of it you could get something that meets all this for under $500

•••
Go and read the sales thread here so you get an understanding of what types of domains sale. Everybody has gave great advice here, it takes time to learn how and what to buy. There is a steep learning curb and a lot of work involved.

•••
hello!

Thanks

Well if you want to take a leap and want to know why your domains are not selling, I will suggest listing your domains in the Appraisal section of the forum. People around here will give you some honest feedback about your domains and probably guide you to some good direction. By this, you will know what you are doing wrong while purchasing the domains and then think about it.
Though you still have to learn about the important stuff about domaining so keep looking around. There is a plethora of knowledge on this forum.

•••
In my experience, you should find .com's like listed below

- SEO Keywords / Phrases (ex: Website or Web Designer)
- Are very brandable and are 10 letters or less and no more than two words

Domains are worth more if you build an actual business off of it instead of just parking the domain name or letting it sit.

•••
Back