NameSilo

discuss CHIPS and NON CHIPS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
No one seems to care about any other names except CHIPS?

I am not a CHIPS person as I cannot predict the trend of chips in the future so I stick with what I know well for the moment (So I can sleep at night!!!)

Just sold an LLL .us yesterday on Afternic for $1,000 after listing here and no one wants to offer even $50 but I can sleep at night with my non chips.

Beside with chips crazy pricing it would take a lot of money to invest so I stay out for now.

Good luck to chips fans.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@mitok - I'm pretty much doing the same as you. But I'd still be interested in what TLD's you are investing in apart from .com/.biz

•••
@mitok - I'm pretty much doing the same as you. But I'd still be interested in what TLD's you are investing in apart from .com/.biz

Mostly in .com, and few other extensions are .biz, .co and the one which I don't want to mention ;)
I think I don't have more than 100 chips in all non .com extensions together.

•••
i Like chips with cola... :-,

I'm not a domain investor but an entrepreneur that buys domain to develop them.

Personally, I didn't buy some LLL.net's for $800 last year, now people want $5.000 for the LLL.net's or LLLL.com's that raise in price so quick is unbelievable.

As an entrepreneur, i'll never pay $ 5.000 for LLL.net or $ 2-4.000 for a LLLL.com. I'll just find alternatives. Instead of .com or .net I'll go with other extensions or the new extensions.

Remember! Domain is important but domain is not everything. What's the biggest company in domain register business? Domain.com? Nope, GoDaddy! Is it chips, LLL or LLLL? NO!

I also don't understand, how Chinese business people should pay for these names? Most of the names now being sold is between investors/re-sellers. I never think that Chinese businessmen will pay so much for a domain. There are huge alternatives.

I don't believe in CHIPS domains, and I'm afraid that many people that have spend too much for the names, when the market turns like the financial crisis, much people will lose money on them.

Also remember, people now are using APPS, and apps doesn't need a domain!

•••

Remember! Domain is important but domain is not everything. What's the biggest company in domain register business? Domain.com? Nope, GoDaddy! Is it chips, LLL or LLLL? NO!

Wrong way of looking at it. The analysis should be:

- how much domain.com adds in targeted type-in traffic, memorability traffic annually
- how much domain.com name adds in instant credibility to increase the conversion rate
- other intangibles?

Then factor in your planned/actual marketing budget and see how much the great name saves you and/or creates additional profit and calculate PV (present value) of perpetuity factoring in growth.

•••
So, even the domain/company name is chips or generic, you have to make marketing investment on the domain/company?

Right?

Wrong way of looking at it. The analysis should be:

- how much domain.com adds in targeted type-in traffic, memorability traffic annually
- how much domain.com name adds in instant credibility to increase the conversion rate
- other intangibles?

Then factor in your planned/actual marketing budget and see how much the great name saves you and/or creates additional profit and calculate PV (present value) of perpetuity factoring in growth.

•••
Marketing is always desirable, if you can get at least $1.01 from $1.00 invested. But good name can be a multiplicator for your efforts. Domain.com, just speculating, could be 1.2-2.0 type of multiplicator compared to many other registrars' names. So, the same campaign for Registrar Obscurename.Obscureextension could show result of $1.01 per $1, while for Domain.com it could be $1.5 per $1.

•••
I don't think the same way like you, if you sell .com registration/transfer for instance for $ 0,95 Registrar Obscurename.Obscureextension will same effect as domain.com even more.

People doesn't care about domainname when they buy something, people see on the price & service. And if you are a physical shop, domain has less more value.

And with the APPS, people waste most of their internet time on mobiles. Domains become more and more low value.

Marketing is always desirable, if you can get at least $1.01 from $1.00 invested. But good name can be a multiplicator for your efforts. Domain.com, just speculating, could be 1.2-2.0 type of multiplicator compared to many other registrars' names. So, the same campaign for Registrar Obscurename.Obscureextension could show result of $1.01 per $1, while for Domain.com it could be $1.5 per $1.

•••
I am glad you don't think the same way. Less competition is good for me )

•••
•••
As an entrepreneur, i'll never pay $ 5.000 for LLL.net or $ 2-4.000 for a LLLL.com. I'll just find alternatives.

But your asking and expecting someone else to pay:

$10,000 Euro for sweb.net
$10,000 Euro for edav.com

Hahahahahaha....yeah right xxxxx. (Name removed by request)

Whois - edav.com (Too easy)

PS: My name's Steve :) (Too easy)

Last edited:
•••
Why you don't mention other lower priced domains from my list and mention some of domains that I'm planning to develop? Because they are not chips? :)

Honestly, some domains in my list is set to higher prices because I'm planning to develop them.

If I can't develop, I try them to sell in forums.

$10,000 Euro for edave.com

Hahahahahaha....yeah right Davut.

$10,000 Euro for edave.com

Hahahahahaha....yeah right xxxxx. (Name removed by request)

PS: My name's Steve :) (Too easy)

•••
•••

Personally, I didn't buy some LLL.net's for $800 last year, now people want $5.000 for the LLL.net's or LLLL.com's that raise in price so quick is unbelievable.

As an entrepreneur, i'll never pay $ 5.000 for LLL.net or $ 2-4.000 for a LLLL.com. I'll just find alternatives. Instead of .com or .net I'll go with other extensions or the new extensions.
So, I have a question for you.
What extension would you buy domain in if 4L.com, 4L.net, 4L.org, 4L.biz, 4L.co (and maybe few others more popular in China, like .top, .wang, .xyz) are taken and price quote came up as $3-5K?

Btw, "eda v" can be translated as "food in" in Russian.

•••
Or EdAV, education Audio-Video )

•••
Having 200 Chinese premiums " chips ..or whatever" - llll.com it's been a long wait since 07 to cash in having sold 2 at $2800 each recently as I now begin to sell..

with the remainder if I can keep getting 2.8k+ that will take me just over 550k this year.

Loving chips..
WIZARDRY!

•••
Where are you selling them?

4.cn /sedo /afternic /godaddy prem listings.

4.cn has been amazing this week 5 sold - there escrow is pretty slow tho.

•••

I also don't understand, how Chinese business people should pay for these names? Most of the names now being sold is between investors/re-sellers. I never think that Chinese businessmen will pay so much for a domain. There are huge alternatives.

I don't believe in CHIPS domains, and I'm afraid that many people that have spend too much for the names, when the market turns like the financial crisis, much people will lose money on them.

Also remember, people now are using APPS, and apps doesn't need a domain!
That's reality. I like how you mention apps. Coolest name that gives people the "warm and fuzzies", makes the most sense and money.... Sorry folks, but GEN Y is the future and what EVERY single company is going after in any market.

•••
what about the spread in non LLL.com chips? they should be priced at $600 following the pattern in LLL.com and LL.com but it is hard to sell at or above $300-$400...

•••
If my company has something to do with lets say domain, then I'll add LLLLDomain.com for instance, and then try .net if the .com was registered and so on... :laugh:

So, I have a question for you.
What extension would you buy domain in if 4L.com, 4L.net, 4L.org, 4L.biz, 4L.co (and maybe few others more popular in China, like .top, .wang, .xyz) are taken and price quote came up as $3-5K?

Btw, "eda v" can be translated as "food in" in Russian.

•••
If my company has something to do with lets say domain, then I'll add LLLLDomain.com for instance, and then try .net if the .com was registered and so on... :laugh:

Awful advise! If the company is successful, but feels it has to spend much more on promotion, loses clients/orders to .com, now it will have to spend much more to get .com, and, worse, if .com is not for sale, because a competitor got it, it might spend huge amount of money rebranding...

•••
The issue I can see is these Chinese premiums have risen over 400℅ in such a short space of time. It would actually be healthier for long term growth if there is a pullback instead of a sharp spike and climb. Too much risk to buy at the moment...
reminds me of what happened with Bitcoin, those poor buggers who bought at $1000 have a long time to wait to get their money back. Similar to a domain that was worth $60 a year ago now selling for $2000, will come to a bump in the road soon enough. Personally I would not invest in 4 letter .com right now unless I found a diamond in the ruff.

•••
I bought at those price points
and I feel very calm
holdig them

How come you're selling these Chips on NP forum if you're so confident in the investment???

As an analyst for a UK hedge fund, I find it laughable how people are expecting Chips to keep growing exponentially with a Chinese market which is the most dangerous and unstable of all financial platforms...

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Last edited:
•••
I mentioned this somewhere else and i'll say it again, 4l.com chips have been the worst investment or certainly one of the worst you could have gone into the last 3 months or so.

Unusually for someone who like myself IS invested in the 4l.com chip market, no one here can accuse me of wanting prices to go down to buy in, I want out when I feel the prices are in a certain range i'm comfortable with whatever that may be. Thus, this post is completely unbiased and straight to the point.

Since prices were around $2.8-3k floor some months back that high has never been challenged in recent months and more and more sales are at $2k or below today. I really want to remain bullish, but one thing is for sure, anyone buying in seriously, within the last 3 months has seen two things happening:

1. Values for sure are not what you paid for them at least in 99% of cases, I don't care how good a deal you got in bulk, you're not going to be able to easily cash in for even anything close to ROI.
2. You have tied up your liquidity this whole timeframe and counting, whilst other asset classes/opportunities have gone sailing by. Even hand registering 4l.biz chips, .infos, buying premium 6n.coms etc. would have seen far better ROI in recent months. Again, I include myself in this statement.

It doesn't mean prices won't go back up again at some stage and maybe something further amazing will happen with 4l.com chips in the coming months. All we can say is, they have been a very poor investment in recent months IMO.

•••
I agree. For example....LLNN.com chips (now at $50 floor) will come to $100 sooner than LLLL.com chips will come to $4000. BTW, there are 25600 LLNN.com chips comparing to 160000 LLLL.com chips so supply can not be higher than supply of 4L.coms.

An LLLL.com is in most cases better domain than LLNN.com, but according to current market situation you will make better profit with LLNN.com chips.
LLNN.com chips could go down, of course, but the same is with LLLL.com chips.

LLNN.com chips was just one example out of many.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back