NameSilo

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
11 can be, for example, associated with: 游游(tour, tour) or 易易(easy, easy)
77 can be, for example, associated with: 去去(go, go) or 钱钱(money, money)

•••
Three .cm domain names sold as a package deal for 800k RMB

The package includes 666.cm, 999.cm, and 9999.cm -- 666 and 999 at 350k each. Seller said "cm" is short, nice, and similar to .com, so should be accepted in China readily. Since its recent reduction in price, this extension is attracting more attention from investors. He's confident there's potential in the .cm extension.

Chinese source

•••
•••
Would love your wisdom on this one -
Does "io" have any significance in Chinese i.e. - sound or translate to anything?
I have 88888888.IO on auction and I feel the 8-8s are special and rare.
How would this be perceived in the China Market ? -
Thanks

•••
Meant for:
LZZTT
38P

thank you
Sorry, not sure whether I can find anything good.

LZZTT
May be: 来找找挑挑 (come, let's find and pick. Like in bargain hunting?)

•••
•••
Why do more and more investors buy from oveaseas sellers?

1. Due to limit in distribution channels, most investors can find out the past sale prices, thus affecting the resale prices.

2. There's a difference between domestic and overseas investors in how they look at each domain name, so this gap can be capitalized for profit.

3. Low risk and quick resale.

Chinese source

•••
keep it simple

sold a Chinese surname + co .com

afternic $5999

easy : )

•••
9024.CC was sold for 2,700 RMB in an auction on 4.cn. The domain name was promoted as something for anyone who was born on February 24, 1990.

Domain name as a birthday gift?

Chinese source

•••
Hmmm I've been getting a lot of spam from chinese buyers for this domain name: ibzu

I know its not a Chinese Premium LLLL.com , but I wondering what this means to the buyers...

•••
Would love your wisdom on this one -
Does "io" have any significance in Chinese i.e. - sound or translate to anything?
I have 88888888.IO on auction and I feel the 8-8s are special and rare.
How would this be perceived in the China Market ? -
Thanks

As you already know, 8 is a super-hot number in China. Even though 88888888 is 8N, it still has value. To pronounce, just split it into two groups. Say 8888, then another 8888.

I have not found much news of .io reported in the Chinese media.

Within the domain industry, both eName and Admin5 introduced .io as I/O and British Indian Ocean Territory, the same as the extension is interpreted in the west.

BTW, I found a software developer selling in China. http://www.qt.io/cn/

•••
•••
Hmmm I've been getting a lot of spam from chinese buyers for this domain name: ibzu

I know its not a Chinese Premium LLLL.com , but I wondering what this means to the buyers...
I don't know what the buyer thinks. The meaning is subjective.

My version. For example:

IBZU
爱兵智友(as a love soldier and a wise friend)
爱兵真友(as a love soldier and a true friend)

•••
•••
423.com and WRB.com were sold for 1.5m and 500k RMB respectively on Nov 13.

Even though 423 starts with 4, nevertheless it's followed by 23 which consists of two consecutive numbers and togehter they rhyme with 爱上(fallen in love) and 爱商 (love business). This domain name can be used for games and betting.

WRB may mean 万人帮(a group of 10,000 people) and 文人吧(a bar for scholars). This domain name can be used for dating and novel writing.

Chinese source

•••
423.com and WRB.com were sold for 1.5m and 500k RMB respectively on Nov 13.

Even though 423 starts with 4, nevertheless it's followed by 23 which consists of two consecutive numbers and togehter they rhyme with 爱上(fallen in love) and 爱商 (love business). This domain name can be used for games and betting.

WRB may mean 万人帮(a group of 10,000 people) and 文人吧(a bar for scholars). This domain name can be used for dating and novel writing.

Chinese source
Thanks for the insightful posts

•••
•••
@ChinaMobi what are you thoughts on Google Translate for Chinese Pinyin to English definition? Is it accurate or not? Is there a site is accurate for Chinese Pinyin?

Thanks for your advice as it is of great value and appreciated :)

Google translate.JPG

•••
GOU is a much sought after name because it is associated with the Chinese character 购 (buy). Early this year a baby ecommerce operator bought GOU.com for 10m RMB and on Nov 14 GOU.net was sold for close to 1m RMB. Buyer plans to use it for an ecommerce site.

Chinese source

•••
@ChinaMobi what are you thoughts on Google Translate for Chinese Pinyin to English definition? Is it accurate or not? Is there a site is accurate for Chinese Pinyin?

Thanks for your advice as it is of great value and appreciated :)

Show attachment 19314
Apparently, It is not accurate that Google Translate for Chinese Pinyin to English definition.
Maybe you should download a Chinese input software on your phone.

•••
Apparently, It is not accurate that Google Translate for Chinese Pinyin to English definition.
Maybe you should download a Chinese input software on your phone.
Thanks Andy do you know of an app for that?

•••
•••
I don't know how it is possible without actual understanding of the Chinese language. Maybe someone can give me a pointer.

•••
keep it simple

sold a Chinese surname + co .com

afternic $5999

easy : )

Similar mode: City + CO

dalianco.com

•••
Guys, I don't fully get it with Chinese IDNs.

For example, a Chinese IDN like 移动 (mobile), how do people in China type this into their browser address bar. Do they have a special IDN keyboard for this or what? Someone pls enlighten me. Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back