IT.COM

China will block .com's for a competive edge.

NameSilo
Watch
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your title is rather deceptive. It seems like a statement of fact, yet is just your opinion.

It is extremely unlikely to happen. Many large Chinese companies use .COM.

All they would do is isolate themselves from the rest of the world. For a country that generates the majority of its revenue from production of items going to the western world that would make no sense.

Brad

•••
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz
Where is that March 1st coming from?

•••
I've read a change to .com in China coming Spring.

•••
•••
I'm assuming he's referring to the change to force registrants using Chinese registries to release their personal information to the authorities in China coming in the spring time?

I may be wrong though.

•••
•••
Yep i saw that one. But registering domains in China is a touch counter productive for a Chinese person who wants to be able to transfer the result of the sale in an other country.

•••
There is more than one link but I do not have a premium account so I cannot post them.

The latest link is titled:

China's MIIT Issues Long-Awaited New Telecoms Catalogue

(source: Mondax.com)

•••
Verisign will give their annual report in the next 24 to 48 hours. It should include their prospects for China so I will be proved right or wrong by then.

Let's see what happens.

•••
The following text is a statement from Verizon in November of 2015.

While there continues to be demand for domain names globally, the recent increased volume for Verisign’s top level domains, as well as top level domains of other registries, during the fourth quarter is coming largely through registrars in China.

In the past, Verisign has discussed many factors that affect the demand for domain names, including, but not limited to economic, social, and REGULATORY CONDITIONS, Internet adoption, Internet penetration, and increasing e-commerce. In addition to these factors affecting demand, Verisign is also evaluating additional potential factors unique to China that may also be responsible for the recent increased volume of new registrations in China.

In no particular order, these potential factors, or combination of factors, could include, but may not be limited to, government initiatives in China to develop their online economy such as ‘Internet Plus;’ registry and registrar regulatory requirements; cultural influences such as the popularity of numeric domain names; increasing competition amongst Chinese registrars; potential increases in domain name investment activity; and recent capital markets volatility and access to capital in China.

Verisign cannot predict if or how long this increased pace of gross additions will continue and we cannot at this time predict what the renewal rate for these domain names will be. Verisign has noted in the past that renewal rates for domain names registered in emerging markets, such as China, have historically been lower than those registered in more developed markets. Verisign will continue to evaluate these and potentially other factors and expects to have additional information related to the domain name base on Verisign’s fourth quarter and full year 2015 earnings call.

(Source: Domain Name Wire)

•••
It is extremely unlikely to happen. Many large Chinese companies use .COM.

All they would do is isolate themselves from the rest of the world.
Brad

I am pretty sure you do not read the news on daily basis, at least not the news about China. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage would be typical of them and it would be okay with Google too. Most of the big players in the U.S. already secured more than enough domain names under .xyz, it's only the small-time loyalists that missed out. The ridiculous thing is how small-time investors questioned Google's judgement for choosing abc.xyz. The correct approach would have been to figure out WHY they chose a .xyz domain name.

•••
•••
All they would do is isolate themselves from the rest of the world.

Yeah China would never do anything to isolate themselves from the rest of the world. lol

•••
Well, what is this? Verisign cannot take a license in China? If XYZ can then why not COM? This seems a no brainer for me. Are you Negari's agent? What's the real intention behind your post?

These are the approved tlds back in May

1. .cn (CNNIC)
  2. .中国 (“.china”) (CNNIC)
  3. .公司 (“.company”) (CNNIC)
  4. .网路 (“.network”) (CNNIC)
  5. .政务 (“.government-affairs”) (CONAC)
  6. .公 益 (“.public-interest”) (CONAC)
  7. .商标 (“.trademark”) (Global Trade Domain Technology Limited [Huyi])
  8. .网址 (“.website”) (Longzhong Internet Technology Limited [Huyi])
  9. .wang (Zhuoyuetongda Technology Limited [Zodiac])
  10. .商城 (“.mall”) ((Zhuoyuetongda Technology Limited [Zodiac])
  11. .ren (Qianxiang Internet Landscape Technology Development Limited)
  12. .citic (CITIC Group Limited)
  13. .中信 (“.citic”) (CITIC Group Limited)
  14. .top (Bangning Technology Limited)
XYZ was not even in list. Do you have an updated list?

•••
This seems a no brainer for me.

That's actually why I understand and you don't. I actually used my brain for this one and starting when Google re-organized under abc.xyz.

Allegravita is one of the experts on this. He produced articles about this before Google re-organized under abc.xyz.

The no-brainers won't do very well in a disrupted market. And I think no-brainers would even agree with that.

•••
This thread is created with the sole purpose of promoting .xyz by trying to create fear regarding .com and other tradional (and real) global TLDs...

•••
That's actually why I understand and you don't. I actually used my brain for this one and starting when Google re-organized under abc.xyz.

Allegravita is one of the experts on this. He produced articles about this before Google re-organized under abc.xyz.

The no-brainers won't do very well in a disrupted market. And I think no-brainers would even agree with that.
Lol, why do you want to debate on my brain? Don't you have answers to the questions?

Google re-organized under abc.xyz because of ALPABET chap, not anything related to China. Google is even blocked in China.

•••
Seems like yet another spam thread by someone trying to spread lies to gain in there own investments.

•••
Guess we will lose a lot of Chinese users here on Namepros.

•••
Seems like yet another spam thread by someone trying to spread lies to gain in there own investments.

Posting this thread won't help me if I'm wrong. My investment is minimal since everything I bought was handregged. I don't want to make money off of Namepros, I am waiting for .XYZ to get approved in China and for Alphabet to start using A.xyz, C.cyz, G.xyz, Y.xyz.

"G is for Google".

Most of the forumers here seem to have a narrow view, mainly the US market and .com's. But if you follow international news Google and almost every other major internet biz is trying to penetrate the Chinese market and gain approval from Chinese regulators. The Chinese government is also trying to spread their censorship.

The fact that you guys think Alphabet will eventually buy A.xyz, C.xyz, G.xyz, X.xyz, Y.xyz and every other letter in the 26 letter Alphabet for untold millions when it would mismatch their abc.xyz domain is beyond me. The personal bias towards .com's run deep in the domain arena.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Right. This garbage should be put in the advertising forum. Look at the tags below

It is nothing but an advertisement for .XYZ based on fear mongering.

Brad

I typed the most related tags which I believe is appropriate. It's easy for fear to ignite after prices have soared for a considerable time, and that is in any market, not just domain names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back