Dynadot

China will block .com's for a competive edge.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
haha your starting to sound like the indian domainers saying .in is the next big thing. the current theory is that investing in domains is a new investment that many chinese people have been introduced to, easier to manage than a stock market. thinking that the chinese government is working with multiple investors to "own the internet" seems to be something out of the movies. I do agree that the rest of China will start becoming as free as HK just look how many milllion/billionaires they created. No coincidence.
Don't what you mean about investing in .in I believe .com is and will be the preference for doing business globally. CcTLDs have value in my opinion but not going to get into that. As for conspiracy theories with China talking to investors trying to take over the internet hahaha, they did it publicly by buying domain names. In a nutshell I was just trying to say that global commerce will become more unrestricted not more restricted.

•••
I understand where you are coming from but it is a little ignorant and naive. I don't mean that as an insult but the leaders of China are more interested in securing the future of the communist party than opening up the economy.
That's why in my opinion I stated the difference. Commerce will become less restricted and non commercial sites like blogs, forums, informational sites etc. ....will become more restricted.

•••
What if? Domains that have some kind of meaning to the Chinese are being registered not for their use but more as defensive registrations so other countries don't use them to reach its citizens. Just a random thought.

•••
What if? Domains that have some kind of meaning to the Chinese are being registered not for their use but more as defensive registrations so other countries don't use them to reach its citizens. Just a random thought.

That is not an "if" it's a fact. XYZ made a deal with China and it was already in the news. To put it in a nutshell China was able to secure all of the "illegal" domain names before anyone else registered. That would have been literally impossible to do with .com's but they did it with .xyz.

Do some reading, all of the information I am referring to is already public.

•••
I like a good conspiracy theory like the next guy, but this one blows the tinfoil factor off the charts.

China will block 124+ million .com domains? To make room for 1.8 million .XYZ, no less.

That's fresher than a large cabbage from the farmer's market.

•••
Let's read again "

"I think you are living under a rock. Alphabet did in fact buy the Alphabet in .com"

So there is not any ABCE....XYZ there

R E A D I N G C O M P R E H E N S I O N
'The Alphabet' refers to the entire alphabet when spoken in English.

Or in other words ABCE but the .xyz comes later.

•••
I like a good conspiracy theory like the next guy, but this one blows the tinfoil factor off the charts.

China will block 124+ million .com domains? To make room for 1.8 million .XYZ, no less.

That's fresher than a large cabbage from the farmer's market.

XYZ.com plans to slap a global ban on domain names censored by the Chinese government.

Chinese words meaning things such as “human rights” and “democracy” are believed to be on the block list, which an industry source says could contain as many as 40,000 words, names and phrases.

(UPDATE: Gavin Brown, CTO of XYZ back-end CentralNic, tweeted that the list is nowhere near 40,000 names long.)

The registry seems to be planning to allow the Chinese government to censor its new gTLDs, which include .xyz, .college, .rent, .protection and .security, in every country of the world.

And it might not be the last non-Chinese registry to implement such a ban.

The surprising revelation came in a fresh Registry Services Evaluation Process request (pdf), filed with ICANN on Friday.

The RSEP asks ICANN to approve the use of a gateway service on the Chinese mainland, which the company says it needs in order to comply with Chinese law.

As previously reported, Chinese citizens are allowed to register domains in non-Chinese registries, but they may not activate them unless the registry complies with the law.

That law requires the registry to be located on the Chinese mainland. XYZ plans to comply by hiring local player ZDNS to proxy its EPP systems and mirror its Whois.

But the Chinese government also bans certain strings — which I gather are mostly but not exclusively in Chinese script — from being registered in domain names.

Rather than block them at the ZDNS proxy, where only Chinese users would be affected, XYZ has decided to ban them internationally.

Registrants in North America or Europe, for example, will not be able to register domains that are banned in China. XYZ said in its RSEP:

XYZ will reserve names prohibited for registration by the Chinese government at the registry level internationally, so the Gateway itself will not need to be used to block the registration of of any names. Therefore, a registrant in China will be able to register the same domain names as anyone else in the world.

It seems that XYZ plans to keep its banned domain list updated as China adds more strings to its own list, which I gather it does regularly.

Customers outside of China who have already registered banned domains will not be affected, XYZ says.

If China subsequently bans more strings, international customers who already own matching domains will also not be affected, it says.

CEO Daniel Negari told DI: “To be clear, we will not be taking action against names registered outside of China based on Chinese government requests.”

But Chinese registrants do face the prospect losing their domains, if China subsequently bans the words and XYZ receives a complaint from Chinese authorities.

“We treat requests from the Chinese government just like we treat requests from the US government or any other government,” Negari said.

“When we receive a valid government or court order to take action against a name and the government has jurisdiction over the registration, we will take action the registration,” he said.

Up to a third of the .xyz zone — about three hundred thousand names — is believed to be owned by Chinese registrants who are currently unable to actually use their names.

The company clearly has compelling business reasons to comply with Chinese law.

But is giving the Chinese government the ongoing right to ban tens of thousands of domain names internationally a step too far?

ICANN allows anyone to file public comments on RSEP requests. I expect we’ll see a few this time.

http://domainincite.com/19431-xyz-to-put-global-block-on-domains-banned-in-china

•••
Please don't post stuff you have no understanding about.

•••
Here, read this. https://ceo.xyz/freedom/

"Starting this weekend, there have been a number of articles published with inaccurate information regarding our upcoming accreditation in China. Speculation exists that there is some kind of banned list being driven by the Chinese government. This is not true. There is no banned list. There are no restrictions to registering a .xyz domain, with the exception of Specification 5 of the Registry Agreement, which all new domain extensions are bound to."

•••
I'd like to see the source you have about how China is going to block .com as a TLD.

•••
Please don't post stuff you have no understanding about.

I know that article is out of date but the negotiations between XYZ and the Chinese government have happened nonetheless. I understand more than you think I do.

•••
I understand that you needed attention and created a thread that contains no facts whatsoever.

•••
I'd like to see the source you have about how China is going to block .com as a TLD.

Negari admits he's not an authority on domain names like .com, but offers this example. As the official registries for the TLD .xyz, he explains that Chinese regulators have been threatening to block domain names from companies outside of China that do not appear on their list of approved TLDs, which could include ".com" or ".net," not words like "democracy" or "freedom," and he has been working with Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) for the past nine months to get .xyz on the approved list.

"We have an application submitted with the Chinese government to have .xyz become one of the first new foreign registries approved to work within China," Negari says. He explains the company has about 500,000 new registrations in China. "All new TLDs operated outside of China such as .xyz cannot currently use these domains in the country."

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...gle-alphabet-china-and-xyz-domain-fiasco.html

•••
•••

I've given you a lot of free information but I will not spoon feed you. It's your choice. Look into it or look away.

•••
That's funny, I saw Negari last week and he mentioned none of this drivel.

China has 16 million .CN domains. You're saying they will block 124 million .com domains out of spite.

Great imagination.

•••
That's funny, I saw Negari last week and he mentioned none of this drivel.

China hasn't announced the list of new approved TLD's but once it does, we will know for sure if .COM is included. Based on my judgement, you are not as close to Negari as you imply.

•••
There's a bigger chance for Godzilla to eat up Verisign than China blocking .com at the root level.

Have a good one.

•••
Not even possible. People are seriously considering this? A country that blocks the rest of the world is irrelevent. This will NEVER happen! However, if you own a bunch of non .coms, and wanna sell them, please redirect your prospects to this thread. Thanks, that's all for now folks!

•••
There's a bigger chance for Godzilla to eat up Verisign than China blocking .com at the root level.

You don't read enough international news.

•••
Not even possible. People are seriously considering this? A country that blocks the rest of the world is irrelevent. This will NEVER happen! However, if you own a bunch of non .coms, and wanna sell them, please redirect your prospects to this thread. Thanks, that's all for now folks!

China is not irrelevant, even if it 'blocks the rest of the world'.

Example:
- Google left China in 2010 in part because of the country's censorship policies.
- Google is headed back this year but this time under Alphabet (abc.xyz).

•••
Even if this did happen in theory .com would still do very well without the Asian market as it is the global domain of choice if you want to promote your business globally.

If .com was blocked the Chinese will still buy them for investment purposes as they are treated like stocks because ultra premium .com domains have very good liquidity :)

Nice thread for a bit of banter IMO lol

•••
The article the op refers to is simply communistic fear mongering attempting to display the regimes power they supposedly think they have over everything outside of their grasp.

Its some power hungry lacky in their pathetic gov system spouting off a lot of rhetoric to an industry to try to convey they are the gatekeepers in all they consider within their perview.

Just more wanna be elitits attempting to force their bs on the world in which they have no control over.

•••
Even if this did happen in theory .com would still do very well without the Asian market as it is the global domain of choice if you want to promote your business globally.

If .com was blocked the Chinese will still buy them for investment purposes as they are treated like stocks because ultra premium .com domains have very good liquidity :)

I am honestly not sure how .COMs would perform. I believe it would lose it's 'King' status since it wouldn't cover the 2nd largest economy but I cannot imagine it dropping to zero. I think it would be a slow decline, at least somewhat since people would not want to sell for a loss. There is also a possibility that it will later gain approval. Anything can happen in 5 to 10 years from now, even 1 or 2 years from now.

•••
The article the op refers to is simply communistic fear mongering attempting to display the regimes power they supposedly think they have over everything outside of their grasp.

Its some power hungry lacky in their pathetic gov system spouting off a lot of rhetoric to an industry to try to convey they are the gatekeepers in all they consider within their perview.

Just more wanna be elitits attempting to force their bs on the world in which they have no control over.

I am not a Chinese citizen, you can read my posts. I am an avid news reader and invested the moment I heard about Alphabet. I did more research and discovered why Google chose .xyz so I invested more and now I am ready. I can still be wrong but I doubt it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back