Dynadot

.tv CES & 8K TV - Are they starting to get it, or is there no hope?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So Ive not had much action recently but this week my inbox and phone have been more lively with enquiries and the odd offer on my domain 8K.TV.
Its nice that people clearly see the link between the awesome new tech being shown at CES in vegas this week by the likes of LG, Samsung et al and a matching domain. What completely sucks is how noone will offer over $100 !!
WHAT THE &*$# IS WRONG WITH THOSE MORONS?
They probably spent nearly that on the friggin phone call to me, do they really think im going to part with a cool domain like this for pocket money. I dont think so.
Hopefully somebody in one of the actual manufacturers wakes up and 'gets it' eventually :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So Ive not had much action recently but this week my inbox and phone have been more lively with enquiries and the odd offer on my domain 8K.TV.
Its nice that people clearly see the link between the awesome new tech being shown at CES in vegas this week by the likes of LG, Samsung et al and a matching domain. What completely sucks is how noone will offer over $100 !!
WHAT THE &*$# IS WRONG WITH THOSE MORONS?
They probably spent nearly that on the friggin phone call to me, do they really think im going to part with a cool domain like this for pocket money. I dont think so.
Hopefully somebody in one of the actual manufacturers wakes up and 'gets it' eventually

I can assure you most of the inquiries are from domainers if thats the case. Future tech domainers follow CES very closely and then try and buy the relevant names

•••
Being in the tv industry, i can tell you that NO ONE is talking about 8k. :)

•••
Being in the tv industry, i can tell you that NO ONE is talking about 8k. :)

That's just because TV stations are a decade or two behind. Over here in the computing industry, we're eagerly awaiting a successor to 4K.

The trouble with 8K at the moment is that there aren't any protocols/cables that can handle that sort of bandwidth yet. DisplayPort caps at 4K 60 Hz, and only the latest HDMI specs can handle 4K above 30 Hz. Thunderbolt barely meets the bandwidth requirements to carry an 8K 30 Hz signal, but it uses DisplayPort for video data, so that's not very helpful. Even if it worked, I'd much rather 4K 60 Hz than 8K 30 Hz. (Why we taint our modern optical media with archaic 24 FPS video is beyond me.)

This could become a valuable domain, but you're probably going to have to sit on it for a good 20 years. Someday when we're using fiberoptic cables for more than just network and audio, I bet it'll fetch a nice price.

•••
Being in the tv industry, i can tell you that NO ONE is talking about 8k

Thats what "future technology" domainers do, register names before the industry really starts talking about it, the only ones talking about it are the cutting edge companies and the R&D teams at LG, Sony, Panasonic etc

•••
From my perspective, even if things are really on track, i just don't see 8k anytime soon. Maybe a decade off? Even if it comes sooner, Marketing may change double of 4k to a different name...rather than market it as 8k.

I am totally in agreement that if the bet is right and 8k becomes the future term, then it's a homerun. If he holds onto it.

But for now, definately not going to get an industry buyer that is willing to pay much for it, as everyone is just trying to figure out how to make 4k work as there are still hurdles with it.

•••
for complete picture , there are 5K TVs too as addition to 4K TVs as to 21:9 format

Last edited:
•••
•••
Its certainly true that 8K isnt on the shelves yet, and probably wont be in a store near you for several more years. Its also true that it wont be seen in USA for a very long time due to the outrageously low broadband speeds enjoyed by vast swathes of the population there. What isnt true however is that 8K isnt being keenly developed elsewhere.
For example in South Korea, where the average city-dweller's broadband is already around 100Mbps as standard, companies like LG are working pretty hard to get the creases ironed out and have said theyll be releasing a commercial 8K set within a year or two.
In Japan the very well funded state broadcaster NHK, in partnership with the BBC (UK), are working flat out to have test broadcasts running by 2016 and have pretty much hung their hats on the idea that a good slice of Japanese society will be viewing the Tokyo olympics in the 8K resolution at home.
Handheld cameras capable of filming full 8K now exist, and Im sure its only a matter of time til storage catches up to levels sufficient to be affordable and practical enough to ship a movie in 8K on something DVD or flash-drive sized.
As for cabling, a consortium of big players including Samsung, Sony and Toshiba announced details of their plans for the superMHL interface, capable of shifting an 8K signal several metres on a passive HDMI-style link.
Terrestrial broadcast has already been demonstrated and of course online is just a matter of getting connections up to speed in the places where it isnt yet fast enough.

Content of course is king, but just like the logic behind buying a 4K TV when only a few things around are there to watch, the studios will make things when a good chunk of the audience is ready to see it - not before. It definitely isnt a chicken and egg thing, TV companies didnt bother outputting HD for years after HD sets were widespread - I think the lag time will be less with 4 and 8K.

What gets me is why they wouldnt think to snag a domain like mine sooner rather than later. Surely one of them must realise that if they end up in a bidding war against the other huge players, or even just one, then theyll have to pay a huge stack more for it. They should bag it now for a (relative) handful of change and showcase their near-future tech on it, you probably spent more on lollipops for your booth babes :D

Last edited:
•••
I think ... like Occulus VR and IDN's, 8k is before it's time for mass adoption. And a lot of things can change.

Hopefully I'm not opening up a new can of worms by saying above. :)

Your best bet for maximum return is to wait until 8k gets mass adoption....rather than try to sell it now to a market that does not see your vision.

•••
heh Im a realist so no worms, canned or otherwise :p , I guess thats what gets me tho. It aint "my" vision as such, its the 100's of millions of $s vision being poured into 8K dev that confuses me. Its not like Im talking about hoverboards or robots that do the dishes, this stuff is on the doorstep and not a pipedream.
Check out Samsung's presentation of their 8K set, sure this wont be in everyone's front room next week but any self respecting rockstar/oil sheik will have one on every yacht.
Cheers folks, best wishes for 2015 :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back