ccTLDs - The wave of the future!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
ccTlds - Q&A

Hi Guy's,

Everyone is talking about cctlds see Rick Latona's blog and read some threads on domaining.com its all over the place but here is my question...

If you are to register a cctlds domain then would register it in English or the local language i.e. - Would you register a domain in .fr would you if it was available register Sex.fr or Sexe.fr as it would be in its local language (.fr French)

My portfolio of domains is mainly .com, .net, .org, .tv & .co.uk with a few .hk, .info and .us but I want to look at .de .es .fr. com.br etc should they be native language or english.

I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts and also feel free to leave your questions on here for others to answer.

Regards,

Robbie

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, but using a registrar / reseller provided proxy service opens you upto so many problems its not even remotely amusing.

I understand the no risk no reward thing but its not for me.

Also, you mentioned some tools to discover traffic cctlds, care to share please?

•••
of course there are some ccTLDs, which have extended requirements, but .de is basically easy to register (only Admin C contact must be person in Germany), but owner can be foreign person or company. .nl, .co.uk no restrictions....

tools : http://www.google.com/insights/search/

here you can choose the country and test several keywords. It takes time to get used to the tool, but once you have some reference domains with traffic, it is not so hard to find decent domains

•••
Jingles said:
I've been curious about this too. I recently found an English term in .fr that is available, but I have no idea if it would be a good purchase. According to Google this English term is searched for approx. 12,000 times a month in France and the Estibot stats are below:

Frequency (Google) 105000000
in Anchor Text 2070000
in Title 3390000
in URL 6400000
Backlinks 0
PageRank 0
Alexa Rank Not Ranked
Traffic (Visits / Day) N/A
PPC Ads # 3
Max PPC Bid $0.64
Overture/mo 499443
Wordtracker/day 29994

New! Estibot TotalSearch™ Data:
TotalSearches™ 1127510 /moRead More!
TotalCompetition™ 10/10 adsRead More!
TotalCPC™ $0.00 MaxBidRead More!

http://EstiBot.com Domain Appraisal USD 4,400

Based on these stats (I won't list the word here), would this be something worth looking into further?

if the domain is available for registration, simply give it a try, won't cost you too much, so your risk is very limited.

If it is for sale, ask the owner about traffic/revenue stats.

•••
snicksnack said:
lot's of registrar ofer proxy services these days,so no real problem to register a ccTLD.

Really?
Try registering and keeping a .ca without the proper info.
and if the proxy regs it through CIRA - for you - then the proxy
service will own it, not you!

•••
Only just spotted this thread! But great to see & agree fully with the potential of cc-TLD's.

We have around 2,200 .au's, 100 .my's, 150 .asia's and a bunch of other bits and bobs. Oh and about half a dozen .com's but we'll be dropping them pretty soon (we all make mistakes :))

•••
mis_chiff said:
Really?
Try registering and keeping a .ca without the proper info.
and if the proxy regs it through CIRA - for you - then the proxy
service will own it, not you!

the ccTLDs are more difficult, but you can setup a company in canada and then you can own .ca domains

Outside the US, lots of people use ccTLDs. In germany more people type .de than .com, and that goes for many other countries.

•••
How can you register a .FR domain, not living in France?

•••
some registrars offer a proxy service for .fr

•••
my question is keyboards - not every internet user uses a latin based keyboard...

(your answer goes here)

•••
snicksnack said:
some registrars offer a proxy service for .fr

Which do you recommend?

•••
.ro domains

For example in Romania or .ro( by the way an extension -mentioned in the 3000 $ /day domainer video ) the word "cars" has @ 246 000 searches/month over the past year-accordingly with Adwords(even like this the results seems to be e bit to high for me ) , because from other search source I have results of something like @ max 1000 searches /month . This comparing with 83.100.000 searches/month -Adwords in US.
In the same time the word "masini" which stands for "cars" in romanian has @1.830.000/month accordingly Adwords.
Other aspect is the fact -that on google.ro you will find mainly romanian domains ,with .ro extension , and rarly a.com domain -but with romanian Keywords in it
Just an ideea! :lala:

•••
SDX said:
Which do you recommend?
Netim is the cheapest I've seen, at 11.90 EUR +tax

http://www.netim.eu/services/domain-name-trustee-service.php

Plenty of other registrars have .FR domains much cheaper: OVH seems to be the preferred registrar in French domainer blogs, especially since they're giving away .FRs for 0.90 EUR at present. But they don't offer a trustee/proxy service. One thing I wondered is if you can transfer to a cheaper registrar after you have got the proxy reg, e.g. OVH offers transfers for 1.00 EUR.

I also wonder whether the trustee concept is entirely legal in France, and whether the registry could confiscate your portfolio. I understand that domainers are not popular in France (i.e. domaining=squatting), so you wouldn't get much sympathy.

•••
mtford said:
Netim is the cheapest I've seen, at 11.90 EUR +tax

http://www.netim.eu/services/domain-name-trustee-service.php

Plenty of other registrars have .FR domains much cheaper: OVH seems to be the preferred registrar in French domainer blogs, especially since they're giving away .FRs for 0.90 EUR at present. But they don't offer a trustee/proxy service. One thing I wondered is if you can transfer to a cheaper registrar after you have got the proxy reg, e.g. OVH offers transfers for 1.00 EUR.

I also wonder whether the trustee concept is entirely legal in France, and whether the registry could confiscate your portfolio. I understand that domainers are not popular in France (i.e. domaining=squatting), so you wouldn't get much sympathy.

Thanks...repped :)

•••
To follow up on this: I just tried to register a .FR name at Netim, but it did not work. It said I had to be either an individual with my own French address, or a company with a French/EU trademark. It seems their trustee service only works if you qualify under the trademark rule, but do not have a French admin address. Reading the above link more carefully, it says:
In any case, NETIM may not replace the holder or act as a proxy if the applicant does not fall within the rules of attribution of the extension. We can only provide the local presence needed for the registration.
I next tried registering at AllDomainRegistrar.com, based in Luxembourg, which claims to offer .FRs at 15 EUR/year with a trustee service. Unfortunately, though, after I had paid my 15 euros, I got an email from them demanding a further 20 EUR for the trustee address. This extra charge is per domain, so they are really charging a 35 EUR ($44) reg fee. They admit that this was not mentioned anywhere on their site. Now I'm awaiting a refund of my 15 EUR, minus paypal fees.

This leaves me wondering what the $3000/day guy is proposing. One of his videos said you should avoid choosing an extension with a $20 feg fee, which is less than any of the proxy registrars I have found so far.

•••
you could simply make up a french adress

•••
Some ccTLDs are easy to register, cheap to maintain or transfer and may produce nice typo traffic.

For example .de is a good example of liberated ccTLD with nice market and typein rate BUT not many ccTLDs are like this

I saw in the video that we talked about at the start of the topic at frame 5:03 a sample list of the domains.

I don't want to say in any way that the list is not genuine but i see for example an extremely high CTR of 65.30% for a short .es name and other high EPCs
Let's not forget that we're talking about parked names at sedo and this list is for ONE day only.

From all the years i work with the net, i never saw for some ccTLDs (not all the ccTLDs) similar daily numbers like the ones at the list. For example a 3 letter ccTLD domain that was developed before and gets link traffic and typein traffic with 1,230,000,000 (1,23 billion results) at google.com, 7,670,000 results at pages with the specific language and 2,460,000 results from ccTLD domains of that country doesn't get even the 1/10 of the daily sedo profit, compared with a similar hand-register name from the list.

What i want to say (as i already mentioned in the top) is that certainly ccTLD is a viable market and .com is not the only way to focus BUT you SHOULD be VERY careful at the ccTLDs you will choose.

When we say the word gTLD we refer to just 21
When we say the word ccTLD we refer to 252 different registries !!!!
This alone is a serious issue for people they want to invest in ccTLDs

With current economic crisis web budgets decreased especially from companies that used the net only for brand promotion and didn't base their existence on web sales. This limits the overall level of Google ads/Sedo ads for ccTLDs

Also something that may worth considering regarding the goal of the creators of 3K a day domainer video.

At the end they said that they released this information to create attention and bring more domain investors to ccTLD market. This is fair and logical but they presented a model for PPC profit and not to the aftermarket value market of the ccTLD domains that will be created if more domain investors come to this game.

Usually if more people serve the ads then higher quality limits are introduced to deliver the ads and the profits.

So if the demand of all ccTLDs will be increased tomorrow by 100% they will increase the value of their portfolio but not the daily income that is way they make money from domains

(With all do respect with the 3K a day domainer NP sponsor)

Last edited:
•••
millions of county code keyword domain names waiting to be registered

So there is all this buzz about country code specific domain names as of late, in other words; keyword ccTLD domains and all the potential they may have. It's true.. They do have a lot of potential once developed, as do any other keyword domain name and they do receive some natural/organic type in traffic as well. But why is there such a "land rush" all of the sudden for them? Why is the spotlight suddenly on international domain names?! Is there really a great opportunity here to invest in and then wake up a year or two later much richer without doing nothing? That is the type of stuff that is floating out there.. It's all hype though for the most part unfortunately... Let me explain why.

The ccTLD domains have been around forever. They are nothing new!! But the spotlight is on them this year.. Big time! Rick Latona is organizing a big conference in a few month's down in Amsterdam which is dedicated to ccTLD's. They are everywhere! Wow... Ok, so lets begin with this... So there is this website setup by some guy / company who call themselves the $3000 a day domainer where they claim to reveal a big time domain investing secret which involves ccTLD domain names and monetization via domain parking.

On their website they display a screenshot where there are approximately 200,000 unique visitors daily generated from their ccTLD domain portfolio that converts to about $3,000 in domain name parking revenues. It's a nice number, sure... But I have no idea who is behind the site and I am skeptical as is everybody else I am sure. A screenshot like that can be put together within 15 minutes in adobe photoshop. All you need is a calculator and some beginner photoshop skills. So is it real or is it fake??

Anyways, for a moment lets assume it is real... So he is making $3,000 per day on average from how many domains... 5,000 domains?? 20,000 domains??! 100,000 domains?? You know, ccTLD domains are very expensive. Most of them cost like $30 or $40 on average and some $50, $70 and over $100 as well. So really, how much is he making in pure profit? Of course he doesn't reveal anything like that... Funny. So don't believe the hype. I went ahead and sent over an e-mail to the address that is on the website and did get a response. It came from a guy in Texas. Not somebody in a ccTLD country. How ironic, eh?

Me: "How are you going to make money from people signing up for your newsletter.. Are you going to advise us to register ccTLD's through your registrar or something? <http: // www.firstbeatmedia.com/ portfolio.html> looks nice btw. I like the developed sites."

His reply: "We have released a bunch of free instructional videos along with the emails. Soon we will be releasing our CCTLD Price Guide for free which will list all the best registrars for each extension in our opinion. Later we plan to launch some subscription based products to teach our tricks and methods for CCTLD investing."

So as I suspected... Indeed they will be making money by suggesting to those who believe them and who want to buy in to register certain ccTLD's where they recommend since they are pro's at this stuff. They will either collect a commission or something like that. You know how these things work. So anyways, all of the good ccTLD's have already been mined and scanned for many years. There aren't really any good generic keyword domain names that receive type in traffic available for registration fee. So, what they are essentially suggesting in their series of videos is to go after typos. That is the whole point of this ccTLD investment movement.

You see, dot com and dot net and dot org domains is a pretty dry field these days. Those gTLD's have been mined, tasted and scanned for many many years. There is nothing good left. So naturally people are looking to jump on something new and they are actually believing that ccTLD is where the new money is thanks to the $3000 a day domainer hype. Can't blame them... Everybody wants the easy money. But I suspect that most investors into this type of stuff will get burned. First of all, you need to be able to be very good with the research of the types of domains you decide register because ccTLD's are very expensive compared to com/net/org, usually minimum 5x to 10x.

The second problem is that that international traffic doesn't convert well. It usually pays pennies per click and has really poor click through rates. Single digit click through rates, such as 5% or so... Now, even if you do manage to pool in all this traffic... Will you be able to actually pull in a profit? Will you be able to even cover the registration fees? It's really tricky and not as easy as it sounds. You can invest thousands of dollars in a few dozen ccTLD domains and you won't even make $100 per year off of them. Don't believe the hype.

I've dealt with international traffic over the years and know what I am talking about when it comes to this stuff. It goes back to early 2004 when I would play the drops and go after 3 char .com/.net domains and would always bump into Yun Ye over at Pool.com or eNom.com auctions. The other big players weren't in on these auctions but Yun Ye was each and every time. BuyDomains.com wasn't and neither was Frank Schilling. So why was Yun Ye so aggressive?? Well, because they received a lot of traffic. All of those domains had another thing going for them, aside from being short 3 char domains... They were high trafficked expired chinese websites.

If you visit the Alexa.com top 100 chinese websites even today you will see that there is quiet a few of websites there that contain numbers and weird naming structure such as 163.com or ku6.com kaixin001.com it168.com etc... You get what I am saying. I stumbled onto this discovery of chinese high traffic names totally by accident but I did pursue it further with a lot of research. Basically, I picked up as many expired chinese high traffic domains that I could for less than $60 per name on average as well as come up with my own misspellings of sites which were hand registered for $7 each. I parked them with some of the Google powered feeds which indeed did pay for international traffic back then and I made out with a lot of money in pure profits almost instantly with each and every investment.

Unfortunately this didn't last so long.. Not even a year if I recall, the traffic got blocked on either the parking providers system or Google's end. I had millions of korean, chinese and other asian visitors to my domain names but nowhere to monetize it. I let most of them expire... I didn't lose any money on them though because they would turn profitable within a few days. They all received a ton of traffic. Really. But there was very limited opportunities for monetization of that traffic so unfortunately once the parking said "no, we don't want it" or "we can't help you with asian traffic" the whole operation fell apart. It's all good though.. Was good while it lasted. Can't complain.

So there is all this hype about ccTLD's being the next big thing and that the traffic is actually worth something and can be monetized, etc.. As it is being suggested by the $3000 daily domainer and so on and so on. But come on, this is nothing new. Be smart and don't fall into the trap. It's really not as easy as it sounds. You can lose out on a lot of money with a lot of these ccTLD's. I have burned through many thousands of dollars on certain ccTLD's which I experimented with. My research indicated one thing but the actual traffic and results were totally different. I'd generate some of the most common typos of the most popular sites in the world according to Alexa top sites rankings and would hope that I can make a bit of profit if I buy a few dozen or 100 domains.. Lottery style, naturally you get more winners and better chances at scoring big if you are going to make a lot of plays.

Let me tell you... Sometimes it failed miserably on many of the ccTLD's I tried and I didn't even make back 1/100 of the investment. On some European ccTLD domains I did make money, but you have to understand that all ccTLD's are different. There is hundreds of them. Don't believe that just because somebody is making a killing on .de or .ru domains you too can do it on some third world country ccTLD domains. No! you can't!! You will get burned. So be smart with this ccTLD investments if you are serious about it and do a whole lot of research. That is the key.

Go with what you see with your own two eyes. Not what somebody shows you or tells you. Start small.. With a few experiments... Investigate... Double check.. Triple check... Compare notes with your friends and others who are doing the same thing. If it does work out in your favor and it clears, bravo! Keep going at it. Gotta be realistic though. There isn't any easy money in domaining. Not in any ccTLD or any part of the industry. All the good stuff was had... The crap, of course still there.. Waiting for somebody to scoop up. Dealing with ccTLD's is very complicated and tricky. There are a lot of restrictions and the costs are high... Very risky business. You better know what you are doing if you are going to get involved with it. If you are a rookie domainer, you need to stay out.. If you are a veteran... You can give it a try.

•••
I was just thinking that if I was earning that kind of revenue from a cctld portfolio, I would also broadcast it all over the internet so that everyone else can jump on the wagon. That would undoubtedly decrease my revenue as more people would be competing for it. Or maybe I have got it all wrong ?

•••
That is an interesting point.. maybe this $3000 already has all the domains he wants and needs to create a market for his ccTLDs... we'll have to see what is going on; certainly interesting.

exsedo said:
I was just thinking that if I was earning that kind of revenue from a cctld portfolio, I would also broadcast it all over the internet so that everyone else can jump on the wagon. That would undoubtedly decrease my revenue as more people would be competing for it. Or maybe I have got it all wrong ?

•••
Smart people have been investing in ccTLDs for years :talk:
But each TLD is different, some are hot, some are pretty much dead. It takes more skills and research when you invest outside your local market, not to mention language issues.
BTW if you're American it's not too late to invest in your own ccTLD - I think it will take off but be prepared to hold and renew for years :)

•••
sdsinc said:
Smart people have been investing in ccTLDs for years :talk:
But each TLD is different, some are hot, some are pretty much dead. It takes more skills and research when you invest outside your local market, not to mention language issues.
BTW if you're American it's not too late to invest in your own ccTLD - I think it will take off but be prepared to hold and renew for years :)

That's true.
Each ccTLD is a different case.
There are ccTLD operators for example that charge the same amount of money as the reg.fee to change the details of the whois
Others have legal gaps regarding aftermarket domain sales
ccTLD is hot zone and you must known where you place your step.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back