IT.COM

CAUTION: Stop using Namecheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This really sounds similar to the other thread saying stop using Godaddy because they are no longer giving away $1 coupon codes.

•••
@aww -

You mentioned "can no longer expedite transfer out..."

Does that mean no transfers out - period? Or no expedite transfers?

Is this a duration issue or a closed gate issue.

I am asking as I have a sale from last Monday 7th that has not transferred out yet to the buyer's GoDaddy account and am wondering if it's a "slow" situation... or a "no way out" situation?

I may be exposed for a $X,XXX lost sale as the buyer is wondering what the hold-up is and is getting fidgety...

Appreciate any insight you could provide... Curious, can we work directly with eNom to transfer our entire portfolio over to their direct control?

-Jim

My transfer out took a full 7 days. I'm done with NC.

•••
How quick a transfer is done, to a certain degree is a decision made by registrars. With godaddy they like it fast and smooth, and people like that, however there are some registrars who take security very seriously and will not let transfer go too quickly, and who can blame them....

I have been using namecheap forever, from the day they were small and registerfly was bigger (both enom resellers), and I can only say that namecheap has always been a top notch 'small' operation...

They say they are helpless, they can not expedite transfers and it shines through that they probably never will be able to. They would like to, but can't.

If you want a topnotch registrar with transfers that take longer than other registrars, be my guest.

ICANN policy says "within 5 days". They take the full 5 days and then some. And they are unable to do anything about it.

Subpar.

•••
Tried to transfer a domain to Uniregistry, It says the code is invalid.
Always trouble with Namecheap!

•••
Had already contacted their support:
"Kindly let us explain the origin of this issue. EPP/Authorization code is used as a protection mechanism to ensure that only the rightful domain owner can control the transfer of the domain registration. From time to time the codes are regenerated at the registry level to add more security to domain transfers.

We have contacted our upstream provider with a request to synchronize the EPP code for your domain with the registry and resend it to you. Kindly allow them some time to proceed. Once we receive a reply from them, we will inform you via this ticket.

The new EPP code will be sent to the registrant domain email [email protected]

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this matter."

•••
Had already contacted their support:
"Kindly let us explain the origin of this issue. EPP/Authorization code is used as a protection mechanism to ensure that only the rightful domain owner can control the transfer of the domain registration. From time to time the codes are regenerated at the registry level to add more security to domain transfers.

We have contacted our upstream provider with a request to synchronize the EPP code for your domain with the registry and resend it to you. Kindly allow them some time to proceed. Once we receive a reply from them, we will inform you via this ticket.

The new EPP code will be sent to the registrant domain email [email protected]

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this matter."
That seems a bit tedious. I understand that EPP codes get reset, but I have yet to encounter it while attempting to process a transfer. I know it happens. Disclaimer: I don't have any names registered with Namecheap.

"Contacted our upstream provider." An EPP code reset (following a request by the registrant) should happen... in about the blink of an eye. :xf.frown:

•••
They say they are helpless, they can not expedite transfers and it shines through that they probably never will be able to. They would like to, but can't.

If you want a topnotch registrar with transfers that take longer than other registrars, be my guest.

ICANN policy says "within 5 days". They take the full 5 days and then some. And they are unable to do anything about it.

Subpar.
I suppose NameCheap can always say they delay transfer-outs to allow time for fraud checks. Then again, how many people really appreciate that kind of answer despite its candor?

Anywho, that's fine. Everyone has mileage, some of which vary.

•••
I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha, and ask to manually request a new EPP code from Enom.

ha ha ha

•••
I had to open a chat session with their gorgeous Eastern European hot babes Support Staff like Natasha
That just made my day. =)

•••
Weird...
I just had a domain transferred from NameCheap to domain.com and the transfer went smooth.
Also had one ~1 week ago from NameCheap to NameSilo. That one went smooth too.

From what I heard a while back they have more than one "upstream provider". Perhaps only some domains are affected.

•••
Haven't posted in awhile but just wanted to drop a tip for those not in the loop:

Namecheap and enom are on very bad speaking terms now.

Enom has locked namecheap out of their transfer system and Namecheap can no longer expedite transfer out of the enom system for any reason (except court order)

Do not fall for the small discount codes or "transfer days" they have, you are going to get sucked into a very bad situation.

Remember, Namecheap is not a real registrar, they are simply a very large reseller of enom and that limits them drastically.

Ask anyone who has to wait a full week for a domain transfer from Namecheap and you'll start to get the picture.

Those with good memory will find having namecheap hold domains hostage is very ironic, considering the fiasco they had with godaddy back in 2011 over the same timeout issue...

Thanks

•••
wow. good response, enetwork!

•••
Thanks for your feedback and those of others. Just wanted to let you know we’ve listened and while this was instituted for security reasons I agree that it causes a burden on domainers and domain traders due to the time issues. That being said, as of yesterday, the 5 day waiting period has been removed from all transfers away from from Namecheap to 0 days. The best way to approach this is to beef up our already great internal security with even more 2fa options. Thanks again for pushing this issue forward and your feedback.

Richard K.

CEO Namecheap

Hi Richard, we initiated a 'transfer out' of Namecheap, my sold domain to the buyer (=> GoDaddy) on September 21, 2015. So far, nothing has changed even though I unlocked the domain the same day and sent him the Auth. Code! Any thoughts on this?

•••
Thanks for your feedback and those of others. Just wanted to let you know we’ve listened and while this was instituted for security reasons I agree that it causes a burden on domainers and domain traders due to the time issues. That being said, as of yesterday, the 5 day waiting period has been removed from all transfers away from from Namecheap to 0 days. The best way to approach this is to beef up our already great internal security with even more 2fa options. Thanks again for pushing this issue forward and your feedback.

Richard K.

CEO Namecheap
This is kind of remarkable in that -- at least on the surface -- it speaks volumes about what NamePros membership appears to represent as far as your customer base, assuming that your policy change is largely in response to comments in this thread. Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

•••
@bonavee - Most often this is caused because the buyer has not initiated the transfer at GoDaddy. This is 100% true if you haven't received GoDaddy's Auth Codes. I would suggest going back to the buyer to clarify. If he's a noob, explain to him how to do it, or ask him to ask GoDaddy Support to get the transfer initiated.

Feedback: As I was about to contact the buyer, this GD message came in. I have since done the needful. Thank you @stub.

"Re: Transfer of xxxxxxxx.com

GoDaddy received a request on September 09, 2015 for us to become the new registrar of record.

You received this message because you're listed as the Registered Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name. If you're not the Account Holder, or you're transferring the domain to a new owner, please forward this email to the appropriate Account Holder to complete the transfer process.

When authorizing this transfer, you'll be prompted to provide the following Transfer IDs:

Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxx
Security Code: xxxxxxxxx"

•••
@bomavee - You need to give those 2 codes to the buyer. Then you should see the transfer begin.

•••
if you want a reason to move away from namecheap , it should be because they are no longer cheap
i would say they are now amongst the more expensive registrars

.com = 14.23
.net =16.61
.org = 16.61

and this doesnt even include whois privacy (except for the first year)
it doesnt really matter how good or bad they are at this point

•••
.com is $10.69 in my browser, right now.
They just can't catch a break this week.

my bad, the prices above are in canadian dollars
didnt notice that

again my bad

•••
DO NOT use Namecheap URL forwarding or masking for your domains. NC "disable" it for no reason!

502err.png

•••
Hmmmm .... Namecheap CEO states zero days to transfer out... so how come I am being told to wait 5 days for my domain to transfer out of namecheap... duh...

•••
My recent experience is that it's down to minutes, as long as you choose approve in the approval email that Namecheap sends to the registrant email address and then click to submit that form.

•••
definitely not the case with me and I have transferred enough domains in the past to understand the process with domain unlock, whois secrecy disable, auth codes etc.

•••
Hmmmm .... Namecheap CEO states zero days to transfer out... so how come I am being told to wait 5 days for my domain to transfer out of namecheap... duh...

down to minutes

Agreed, quite better now.

@kkckkc, There must be some other issue. Why not ask their chat support? They are quite helpful. Only if their new control panel and their market place was as good!

•••
The last NameCheap transfer away I did was less than a month ago. If you approve the transfer away. They release the domain within minutes. Unless something has changes very recently.

•••
All is well with Namecheap EXCEPT these two issues:

The instant very easy internal transfer "push" arrangement between Enom To Namecheap using NCTRANSFER no longer works. You used to be able to move a a domain easily from your enom account to your namecheap account this way , but no more.

Please, namecheap (sarcastically) telephones have been invented. Many issues can be straightened out quickly if you allow members to talk to you rather than have to type out all issues in a live chat or support ticket. Consider doing this NOW.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back