Dynadot

Can .US have its own sub forum and marketplace at NamePros like the way it was before

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
Can .US have its own sub forum and marketplace at NamePros, like the way it was before.

About two or three years ago .US had its own sub forum which I believe included a special marketplace section exclusively for .US domains (kind of like the way it is now for .TV and .Mobi ).

I am not sure why this sub forum was discontinued, but it coincided with the down turn in the domain Industry and the economy in general. Now that things are beginning to look up again it would be nice to have the .US sub forum back.

There are so many topics that .US fans like to discuss, to have the threads scattered all over the place and to let them get mixed up with all the other less active ccTLDs makes it difficult to see what’s going on with .US .

I would like to ask the admins at NamePros to consider bringing the .US forum back.

All those .US fans in favor of .US having its own sub forum and marketplace again say aye. :)

-

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Moved to Namepros Info and Suggestions!

•••
I think during the the redesign alot of stuff was condensed. I'm all
for having a separate section/marketplace for .US names.

I think your going to get the "there is a CCtld marketplace already"
Then You or I would come back with "but there is a .Tv marketplace"
and then they will answer with .......

:rolleyes:

NN

•••
Maybe it should replace the .mobi section, put a section to good use instead ;)

Nah im jesting, I think .tv is different because it is being marketed for something other than what it was originally made for ie. televisions were as .us is well .us. Though im no nay sayer the more sections the better ;)

•••
•••
I think there has been a lot of activity in .us related threads.

Just a couple of examples:

This thread has 9 pages added to it in the last 30 days.

This Thread has 8 pages added to it in the last 30 days.

I am in favor of .us having it's own section.

Greg

•••
I went and looked on DNJ and in 2009 on the top 100 CCtld sales there is only
one TV and one US sale listed. At position 25 and 56 respectively.

top 100 Global Contenders (.biz, .info, .mobi, .net, .org, .pro & .tel) sales
the number one postion went to mobi at 135K

*edit
Current top 40 include tech tv, name tv and Immobilienmakler.tv. No US or Mobi.
Current top 100 Global Contenders (.biz, .info, .mobi, .net, .org, .pro & .tel)
sales reflect no .TV, .mobi or .us.

NN

Last edited:
•••
I went and looked on DNJ and in 2009 on the top 100 CCtld sales there is only
one TV and one US sale listed. At position 25 and 56 respectively.

top 100 Global Contenders (.biz, .info, .mobi, .net, .org, .pro & .tel) sales
the number one postion went to mobi at 135K

hmmmm

NN

.us is on the rise, mobi on the decline. Was just checking out the mobi section - Dot MOBI - NamePros.com

and from the 4 stickied threads, only 1 post this whole year. .us would get a lot more action.

•••
•••
Actually if its based purely on activity related to a ccTLD, I'd assume .in would be on the top of the heap.

There are at least 20 leading ccTLD extensions, do you really want 20 sections?

:)

•••

Why not,

But if that’s too much trouble we‘ll settle for a section just for .US :)

-

•••
Given the .us cctld's woeful performance in terms of sales figures why should it be given a sub forum. Surely there are dozen of other cctlds where it would make more sense to have a forum? (.co.uk, .de, .ca etc)

•••
We went through this same topic last year. I am for a .US subforum, as well as subforums for other popular ccTLDs. Some other popular domain forums have this type of structure. However I can understand if NP does not want to add separate sections.

Regardless of whether there is a .US forum or not, I still am not sure how a .MOBI forum is justified at this point.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Why is it a big deal to make a subforum for .us domainers? Is it a monetary issue? I'm not understanding what the problem in doing that is. If that is what this group of loyal Namepros members want.......

Subforums requested/implemented for the more popular or top cctlds is a good idea in my opinion.

Bob

•••
It can be better organized overall.

From the namepros home page, you scroll down and see:

ccTLD Discussion

Click that and it's a free for all/mess

All you have to do is under

ccTLD Discussion (make subforum links)
.us .me .in etc

Better organized that way. And people who are into .in, can easily find it, those into .us, can easily find it etc.

Basically what Brad was talking about above. I think most would agree that's a great idea.

•••
•••
Actually if its based purely on activity related to a ccTLD, I'd assume .in would be on the top of the heap.

No but of the 20 leading TLD ... TV gets a discussion, appraisal and sales section when the others do not? Other than mobi that also gets it's own section. I think this potentially confuses visitors.

Given the .us cctld's woeful performance in terms of sales figures why should it be given a sub forum. Surely there are dozen of other cctlds where it would make more sense to have a forum? (.co.uk, .de, .ca etc)

Then what is the "#$" needed in sales to justify a section? Then would all TLD be bound by that "#$"? Does the section go away if sales drop? Seems like a tedious variable to keep up with.

It can be better organized overall.

ccTLD Discussion

All you have to do is under

ccTLD Discussion (make subforum links)
.us .me .in etc

Better organized that way. And people who are into .in, can easily find it, those into .us, can easily find it etc.

Basically what Brad was talking about above. I think most would agree that's a great idea.

This seems to be the most amicable solution for all parties. I would include that this might stem some of the bickering between TLD supports. I mean a level playing field is a level playing field. Some could say that TV and MOBI are getting preferential treatment, representation and/or exposure to visitors and serps.

Pretty much I think all sales sections should be in the "marketplace". I would think Serps would dictate that so ALL our names get the max exposure to search results. Not being an SEO expert I'm not sure how much this is reflected or hypothetical at best.

•••
Regardless of whether there is a .US forum or not, I still am not sure how a .MOBI forum is justified at this point.
It's because the subforum has yet to be renamed 'graveyard' 8-X

•••
Then what is the "#$" needed in sales to justify a section? Then would all TLD be bound by that "#$"? Does the section go away if sales drop? Seems like a tedious variable to keep up with.

This isn't a government department, the NP staff can make a decision based on what they see as the activity level. They already did make a decision some time ago and that was to scrap the .us sub forum. I can understand people complaining because it is just another bad sign for the extension but that is life.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Some could say that TV and MOBI are getting preferential treatment, representation and/or exposure to visitors and serps.

Man......who cares? It is the old "lets cheer for extensions like they are sports teams" stuff.

The .mobi sub forum will likely eventually go and the .tv sub forum is pretty active. Maybe we'll have a .xxx forum instead if that does well.

•••
This isn't a government department, the NP staff can make a decision based on what they see as the activity level. They already did make a decision some time ago and that was to scrap the .us sub forum. I can understand people complaining because it is just another bad sign for the extension but that is life.

Man......who cares? It is the old "lets cheer for extensions like they are sports teams" stuff.
No its a public forum and people are requesting a subforum.

Any site that you seem to give the mantel of being able to make decisions that signal something for an ENTIRE extensions should be capable of re-assessing what is appropriate and not.

The notion that ideas formed last year, two years ago matter don't understand the dynamics of forums. Now obviously stability is important because two many changes makes things harder to follow than the current ccTLD mess..... but I don't think it's too much to ask to have the idea reviewed.

I can say that if .US/.ME separated I would stay and find it easier. I would also say that if .TV was added to CCTLD I would leave.

•••
No its a public forum and people are requesting a subforum.

Any site that you seem to give the mantel of being able to make decisions that signal something for an ENTIRE extensions should be capable of re-assessing what is appropriate and not.

There is people who would like a .in forum, people would would like a .info forum etc. Whether it will be popular enough to justify is another thing entirely and NP has already tried a .us sub forum and got rid of it. It was probably easier to justify a few years ago when the domainer jury was still out on the extension.

The notion that ideas formed last year, two years ago matter don't understand the dynamics of forums. Now obviously stability is important because two many changes makes things harder to follow than the current ccTLD mess..... but I don't think it's too much to ask to have the idea reviewed.

Not quite sure I follow all this. The .us forum was removed not so long ago, I think about 6-12 months. It was a sub forum for some time so I do not think the decision to remove it was made lightly, there was also questions from members as to why it would have a sub forum when it wasn't a particularly popular cctld.

http://www.namepros.com/namepros-info-and-suggestions/579118-time-end-tv-mobi-us-subforums.html

•••
Not quite sure I follow all this. The .us forum was removed not so long ago, I think about 6-12 months. It was a sub forum for some time so I do not think the decision to remove it was made lightly, there was also questions from members as to why it would have a sub forum when it wasn't a particularly popular cctld.

http://www.namepros.com/namepros-info-and-suggestions/579118-time-end-tv-mobi-us-subforums.html

All I meant was appropriate re-reviewing of structure should occur at regular intervals - and I am sure they are - decisions made in the past shouldn't really factor.

I was also just trying say that there has to be a balance between change and flexible management of subforums and a fairly static structure so that there isn't the constant sea of change.

My personal feeling is that .US has had a bit of a bump last few months that will wane again. I think it should wait another few months for a decision to be made - if we can influence the decision.

•••
There is people who would like a .in forum, people would would like a .info forum etc. Whether it will be popular enough to justify is another thing entirely and NP has already tried a .us sub forum and got rid of it. It was probably easier to justify a few years ago when the domainer jury was still out on the extension.

You just linked to a poll that said the forums shouldn't be ended. Of course it wasn't the best kind of poll, since they were lumped in all together. And the past is the past. There is still a mobi forum because maybe in the past it was more popular, today not so much. In the past maybe the .US wasn't so popular but things are changing. You might not like that extension, that's fine, the forum won't be for you. There are other extensions I have no interest in that have forums, I stay out of those. These .us threads are going to happen regardless, you can have them happen where they're better organized = sub forum.

•••

ccTLD Discussion

Yes that does look like a big mess when all the threads get mixed up together, there must be an easy way to fix this that makes everyone happy.

PS: while we are at it we should ask the admins to make a special section for the naysayers too so that they won't be all over the place. :)

-

•••
Not Sure If these Posts within this thread are actually being reviewed, But if so, then I will throw my 2 cents in here also.

I am regularly active in half a dozen or so extensions, and .US is definitely one of them. Of course, more recently .US has had a spike in interest as the topics of discussion here have reflected that.

The way, I usually stay involved in threads here is either by entering that specific Forum...
OR,
by posting in that partiular thread, then seeing them highlighted within my Control Panel as new Posts are submitted upon me re-logging in. Then it is easier to keep up with the current threads that I have interest in.

Well, because there is not a .US Forum, and because I have not regularly Posted in the .US threads, I have no easy way of finding out the new info Posted within them. (I could just go to each and every .US thread and click on the thread tools, and hit "subscribe to thread" but for some reason, I really don't ever use that feature).

So, The way I re-visit the .US threads is if they are currently being bumped by a new Post while I am logged on, I will click on the "New Posts" link on top to see what is currently being posted in the current threads, then it will remind me of this .US thread or that .US thread, etc.

I guess all I am saying is I believe .US should have its own Forum also. It would definitely be a lot easier for me to follow, and I most likely would get involved in those threads as .US is becoming more and more interesting to me myself, lately.

Long Story - Short...
+1 for .US to have it's own Forum.

Thanks,
Vito

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back