Dynadot

question Can someone from GoDaddy clarify their backorder policy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've looked on their website, chatted online with support, and called support. I get contradictory information.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-i-backorder-a-domain-597
states the domain will go to a public auction.

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder
states if you are the only backorder holder, you become the domain name registrant.

I have a domain on backorder with GoDaddy. It's registered at GoDaddy. The domain expired and is currently in the redemption period. GoDaddy (not the owner), listed it on their auction site as a Premium domain with a 5 figure minimum offer.

If someone makes an offer on the domain, can GoDaddy accept and ignore my backorder?

If nobody makes an offer and the domain drops / goes past the redemption and recovery periods, will it go to auction for anyone to bid, even if I'm the only backorder?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has anyone actually got a domain with their backorder service?

Yes, but it was at least a decade ago. Maybe two decades.

(Just found an old email, successful b/o from late 2017).

Last edited:
•••
Let me share my experience with godaddy backorder. I was reading this article after I use their backorder for trying to catch some top domains that were end date pending deleted and fail every day.

After reading this article I thought ok, top pending deleted out of reach...

Yesterday I was backordering domain that was pending deleted yesterday pocketless.com and today got mail We grabbed pocketless.com domain for you...

So it looks like when domain is not like high high demend godaddy backorder works.

•••
got mail We grabbed pocketless.com domain for you...

Congrats. I think that's the only situation resulting in a successful backorder. Was the fee around $30?

Last edited:
•••
I paid £22.00 for backorder sevice but this is without VAT tax as I have this on company, so yes it was around 30$.

•••
Let me share my experience with godaddy backorder. I was reading this article after I use their backorder for trying to catch some top domains that were end date pending deleted and fail every day.

Yesterday I was backordering domain that was pending deleted yesterday pocketless.com and today got mail We grabbed pocketless.com domain for you...

So it looks like when domain is not like high high demend godaddy backorder works.

That would back up what they said for domains not entering the auction feed. So paying for a backorder is absolutely useless, unless nobody else wants it and GoDaddy decides it's not worth auctioning. That's not what they say in the second link of my first post. It also doesn't explain why the other domain I backordered is still apparently being 'held' by GoDaddy with a 5 figure minimum offer.

I'm sure they won't do this, because it would cost them a lot of money. But what they should do is:
1. If you're the only backorder and it's a GoDaddy domain, you get the domain. No auction. That's what you paid for.
2. If you're the only backorder and GoDaddy gets the domain from another registrar in the drop, you get the domain.
3. If there are multiple backorders and it's a GoDaddy domain or they get the domain, ONLY those people that backordered the domain can bid on the auction.

Failing to do that, they should make it CLEAR what's going on. The fact that nobody seems to understand your policy and we have to 'pull teeth' for clarifications, makes one wonder if you're deliberately keeping it vague or even misleading to get people to purchase backorders.

@GoDaddy @James Iles @Joe Styler

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back