Dynadot

new gtlds Can New gTLD's Boost A Start-ups’ Digital Presence?

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Absolutely. gTLDs can help start-ups in a very effective pay per click (PPC) campaigns on Google as it describes your business more clearly and hence it becomes more likely for visitors to click on your link than any other .com or .in TLD.
Suppose you search for real estate developers in Gurgaon on Google and it shows up parasgroup.com, lotusgreens.com, gurgaondevelopers.realty etc. So gurgaondevelopers.realty will certainly get more clicks because it shows exactly what you were searching for and the business that company is into.
Pre-registering can be a great strategy for start-ups to avoid competition for premium gTLDs which would be intensesoon. It is like booking a movie ticket, the sooner you get to the ticket window the better your chances are to get the seat of your choice...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Actually commercial. Yet, another reason to use it. You gave some great arguments for .com. Looks like most startups get it as well. So much so, that many will go with some made up .com, even some ridiculous sounding ones, then venture into new gtlds.

•••
At the end of the 90s, Apple's market share was really low, around 5%.

Business was done with Windows, that's just the way it was.

It was the 'Think Different' campaign that first turned Apple around.

And that is why the new gTLDs will succeed. They are different and fresh, different and fresh attracts attention. Different and fresh isn't boring.

•••
Virgin cola was new, cola drinkers still went with Coke. AllTheWeb, Teoma etc was new, actually better than Google, people still stuck with Google. Those examples and yours has nothing to do with domains. Again, go thru those lists, actually look what's being used. Real stuff that's actually relevant to what's being discussed.

Do you think this is a good sign - https://ntldstats.com/country

Over half China, only 2 countries in the world with over 1 million regs. That's all of those new gtlds together.

•••
What's being used are domain names.

A domain name serves two purposes - it allows the lookup of an IP address and it established identity for x509 certificates.

Whether it is .com or .video makes no difference to either of those purposes.

One is boring, one is noticed because it is different.

•••
What's being used are domain names.

A domain name serves two purposes - it allows the lookup of an IP address and it established identity for x509 certificates.

Whether it is .com or .video makes no difference to either of those purposes.

One is boring, one is noticed because it is different.

It's a struggle isn't it to find good reasons, after you gave a bunch of good ones for .com. I've seen you post from a technical perspective before which is pretty useless here. You think technical or search engine only (small). You don't think business. It's different is not a good reason, things are supposed to be better to move forward.

•••
•••
An article I agree with (altrogh not personally tested) New gTLDs Gain Momentum in the Search Environment

Of course it is good to have an established one keyword 15 years old .com, but this topic is for startups and such .com even if available y chance ca consume a significant part of the budget. Starting now... OK, Google in theory might not make a difference, but I still think that keyword.keyord is better than keywordkeyword.com and even keyword.com.

•••
An article from somebody selling new gtlds.

Again:

Looks like most startups get it as well. So much so, that many will go with some made up .com, even some ridiculous sounding ones, then venture into new gtlds.

This thread is about startups. Tell me why it's 2.6%.

Take the time and go thru each blog post, go deeper than the 3 posts I went thru. Do actual research, post some actual numbers.

•••
•••
It's a struggle isn't it to find good reasons, after you gave a bunch of good ones for .com. I've seen you post from a technical perspective before which is pretty useless here. You think technical or search engine only (small). You don't think business. It's different is not a good reason, things are supposed to be better to move forward.

No, it's not a struggle.

It's obvious. You own .com domains you want to sell. Thus you have to justify why your high prices are better than the less expensive new gTLDs that you can't hoard because the renewal fee is higher while the potential market is smaller, limited to the scope of the TLD.

Sorry your portfolio is going to crumble in value, that's what happens when you invest in something that is just bits in a database somewhere.

•••
And that is why the new gTLDs will succeed. They are different and fresh, different and fresh attracts attention. Different and fresh isn't boring.
Obviously the definition of success varies a lot from one person to another.
For example .cars Registry COO Mike Ambrose said that .CARS .CAR .AUTO (3 extensions combined) surpassed his expectations, reaching over one thousand registrations after a few months.

If new extensions are so good, why don't end users embrace them on a large scale ? What's the hold-up ? They can have them now from their favorite registrars.

I think there is one huge problem that is underestimated: there isn't critical mass in new extensions. Consumers don't pay attention and mindshare is nil.
.com and ccTLDs have momentum, they have volume and they are ingrained in the minds of consumers. I would take decades for new extensions to catch up, if they were performing better. But they are lagging. So the gap is widening. End result: new extensions remain marginal oddities.

Back in the day, .mobi was getting traction from prominent end users, it was advertised and it died nonetheless because the momentum could not be sustained. Yet it got exposure that no other new TLD ever got (not even .co). What do people expect ?

3 years on, we have hundreds of new strings, millions of new domains added to the root (boosted by zone stuffing, cheapies and freebies). We have some volume but it's not critical mass, it's dilution.

•••
End users are embracing them. They are new, and it generally is not a good idea to change an established domain name very often.

•••
0 for the last 228. That's what goes for embracing around here I guess.

•••
0 for the last 228. That's what goes for embracing around here I guess.

it's easy to cherry pick data - hence why I suggested a proper experiment.

You say "0 for 228" right after another user posted that auto related registrations on the ngTLDs exceeded expectation.

•••
it's easy to cherry pick data - hence why I suggested a proper experiment.

You say "0 for 228" right after another user posted that auto related registrations on the ngTLDs exceeded expectation.

Tell me you're joking. What do you expect somebody to say in situations like that. That it was below expectations? Because we have a thread on that somewhere here. Where some talked about expectations before they were released, and how the numbers didn't quite meet them.

•••
I don't expect anything logical from you. You are making a point of avoiding logic.

An experiment like the one I suggested is the only logical way to test your hypothesis as to the value of .com over new gTLDs for marketing purposes. Until such data exists, both of us are speculating.

•••
I scrubbed my browsing history for today: .com, .net, .org, ccTLDs and some advertising links in lesser know extensions. Typical browsing.
Don't know about you. Maybe you visit lots of sites in new extensions every day.

So I suppose our portfolio is going to crumble in value too, what do you advise us to do ?

•••
I don't expect anything logical from you. You are making a point of avoiding logic.

An experiment like the one I suggested is the only logical way to test your hypothesis as to the value of .com over new gTLDs for marketing purposes. Until such data exists, both of us are speculating.

When you talk about marketing, it's small. You think online only, PPC and you could find good points for both:

"After we ran our Google AdWords campaigns for a specific period of time, it was clear to us, in many aspects, that the .Com outperformed the .Diamonds domain name in certain key areas. However, in other key areas, the .Diamonds domain name performed much better."

"With a higher CTR on the .Com domain name, it appears that end users may favor the .Com domain name over the .Diamonds domain name."

"There were more conversions on the .com domain name for both the download of the PDF file and for clicks on the “Shop Diamond Rings” button on the site, and the total conversion rate was higher on the .Com domain name than it is on the .Diamonds domain name'

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...-domains-appraisal.888717/page-2#post-5082764

That was just one small study. For overall marketing purposes of course .com is better. People know it. That's why most startups and other companies use it. If you're still confused by this, just reread the thread. And you can pretend the links and stats don't exist again. Or hop on Amazon or your favorite book store - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=consumer+behavior

and read

Last edited:
•••
Notice the word "appears" - what users prefer changes, and what users prefer needs actual A/B testing like I suggested at the start of this discussion.

Reality is that what users prefer is either something easy to remember or something on the first page of Google results. Dot Com has no advantage in either of those.

•••
Reality is that what users prefer is either something easy to remember or something on the first page of Google results. Dot Com has no advantage in either of those.

True, and if you search for something like "luxury properties" and the result has:

luxuryproperties.com
luxury.properties

luxury.properties has the advantage of being easier to read. luxuryproperties.com, looks like a jumbled mess in comparison.

•••
Notice the word "appears" - what users prefer changes, and what users prefer needs actual A/B testing like I suggested at the start of this discussion.

Study was conducted by a reputable source who I'm sure knows how to conduct a meaningful test. It was the same type of test I suggested in this thread about a page ago.
CTR for .diamonds was lower, but he also tested a .menu - for THAT the CTR was higher. Full data is downloadable in a white paper at the site which published the study.

•••
Yeah it probably varies by TLD and demographic.

I don't like .xyz or .top - they seem kitch to me, for example,

I don't like .secure - my websites exceed their alleged requirements, and I don't to risk a site not resolving because they made a decision about what secure means I disagree with.

I love .bank and would like to see financial institutions (in the US anyway) *required* by FinCEN to use that TLD, because it would greatly reduce fishing due to how exclusive it is.

•••
I did an experiment that covered some of this but would need to be done on a comparison basis,,, which I can do as I have the .com and a new gtld of it too it's just a hassle developing a site for that purpose alone. I was surprised recently though and I am not sure if you saw this already, but if you google San Francisco you'll see what I mean.

•••
Startups are not a good sample IMO. Most startups get lots of money they did not work for and in turn they are easy on spending $$$. They have little business experience, they are in love with their idea, and angel or venture capitalists shower them with money.

I am not saying they are all like this, but most of them are "easy come, easy go" and this has more to do with the reason they chose .com than anything else.

•••
Seo n you can rank above .com with any extension:) . jusy saying

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back